Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Hello everyone! :D

I am looking to buy a new digital camera and "THIN" is my top priority. Recommendations anyone?

Example: I was thinking about the Sony Cybershot T7. I know it's two years old, but even today it's still credited as Sony's sleekest fully feautured model.

678674768AFA7C24D3A7B17AD7FC069D.jpg
sonyt7lenscover.gif

battery-001.jpg
back-001.jpg
inhand1-001.jpg

(All pics above are the Sony Cybershot T7) - Dimensions: 92 x 60 x 15 mm (3.6 x 2.4 x 0.6 in)

I find that the form factor on the Sony Cybershot T7 is perfect, but I was wondering if anyone knows of alternatives or comparable cameras out there. Basically I want it to be THIN, take great pictures, and preferably have a movie mode like the amazing T7 pictured above. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think the thinnest is the Benq X725 (12.5/14.7 mm).

I am not saying any ultracompact cameras are good.

Kamera RAWr

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Sitting on a rig somewhere
What kinds of pictures will you be taking? Mainly just friends, nights out, vacations, etc.? The ultrathins are fine for some things, but you seem to lose out when you compact things down so thin. The biggest complaint I hear about Sony's ultraslims is the weak flash. Maybe the have corrected the issue, but it wasn't long ago I was hearing about it.

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I think the thinnest is the Benq X725 (12.5/14.7 mm).

Hmm... I'll take a look at that.

I don't think that the Canon is nearly as thin as this guy wants, is it?

66jttuh.jpg

Yeah. Not exactly my idea of thin. :)

What kinds of pictures will you be taking? Mainly just friends, nights out, vacations, etc.? The ultrathins are fine for some things, but you seem to lose out when you compact things down so thin. The biggest complaint I hear about Sony's ultraslims is the weak flash. Maybe the have corrected the issue, but it wasn't long ago I was hearing about it.

The ultrathins are perfect for me. I don't need an enormous lenses or superior HD quality, as I'll be mainly using the camera to take quick on-the-go pics of my friends and subjects in well-lighted areas. So the "weak" flash isn't a big deal. The compact size is very appealing to me. I like the idea of keeping it comfortably snug in my pocket, right next to my iPod.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
66jttuh.jpg

Yeah. Not exactly my idea of thin. :)
Okay, let's put this in perspective.

The Sony Cybershot T7 is 14.9mm thick, with the lens folded.

The Canon SD1000 is 19.4mm thick, with the lens folded.

So the difference is a little less than 5mm. Granted the Canon is thicker but not by that much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.