Thin guy looking for workout advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mavimao, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

So I've always been a pretty skinny guy (5'11", 150lbs / 1m80 68kilos), and I've been thinking about starting up a daily exercise regime. I would like to build a little muscle to fill up a bit. Nothing drastic. What kind of exercises would you suggest?

2. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I assume you mean joining a gym and lift weights? Do you have a friend that lifts already? If you do, it'll be easier since he can show you the ropes. If not, just look at the articles on bodybuilding.com http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbinfo.php?page=BeginnerWorkoutPrograms . There is plenty of info on that page for beginners. The best way to go is to find a weight lifting friend who can help you out, or if you have the money, hire a trainer.

Let us know if you have further questions. Start eating more, you are what you eat!

p.s. This article from the link above gives a pretty good day-by-day workout schedule, click on the exercises and pictures will show you how to do them. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt88.htm

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

It depends on what your goals are. How much bigger do you want to get? If you're looking for a gymnast's body or a swimmer's body then most of that can be achieved with isometrics and other body weight exercises.

If you're not looking to be a body builder, than the exercises are not as important as your diet. Even on the absolute best, most comprehensive exercise routine, you won't gain an ounce if you're not eating enough. You need to eat high-density and high protein foods in excess of what you'd normally eat to gain weight. One pound of body weight is 3 500 calories, so to gain one pound per week you'd have to eat an extra 500 calories per day. Bananas, oats, chicken, lean fish, rice peanut butter, turkey, with an emphasis on eating clean whole foods.

4. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Bench, deadlifts, pull-ups, squats, military presses. Heavy. Meaning more than 75% of your one rep maximum. 8-12 rep range x 3-5 sets for hypertrophy. 5-8 rep range for strength. You should have difficulty completing your sets.

And eat Iscariot's diet -- i.e., eating 'clean.' Eat 5-6 meals a day if possible. Why? Google it. Do you have noticeable amounts of bodyfat? If you do, eat more protein/fats (like fish oil), and less carbs. Throw in some Tabata or sprints to burn off the bodyfat if you have any. Keep aerobic running to a minimum.

There's no such thing as a magic program. Variation helps to keep your body guessing, and keeps it from adapting too easily. Bottomline: if you're not increasing weight or repetitions, you're not growing.

And read t-nation! More articles than you can shake a stick at. Ignore the supplement ads and just read the archives.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You can probably achieve it by swimming heaps. ;)

A lot of the guys I see that regularly hit the pool appear really fit, and I don't think these guys go to the gym often, because I used to go to the gym 1 or 2 times a week (for years), and I NEVER saw the swimmers in there. Of course, there are guys who swim all the time, and they don't look like the guys at the Olympics. Personally, swimming does improve the way I look a bit, but I was better off going to the gym once a week, and swimming 2 or 3 times per week. Right now it's winter, and I swim once a week. Still helps a lot.