Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Can you try to bring up the test pattern in the post #89 on <https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/594520/
FWIW, you can link directly to a post if you right-click on the post# and copy its location.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/6592860/

Also, those test patterns were designed to illustrate the horizontal line issue on the last gen 15" PowerBook, so they may not directly apply to the issue with the Air. It's just that the PowerBook issue was the most recent issue that might have related...

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
Please post if you get FAIL/PASS with the new MBA. I see flickering lines on new MBP.

I'm really curious to see if any folks with the new MBA get the "FAIL" on the left test image. It would be an awesome decisive tool to filter out bad MBA's from good ones in the store.

Interestingly, displaying the images on my new MB Pro, the lines are flickering noticeably, to the extent that it's uncomfortable to look at. Does anybody know why? Both sides of the image are the same shape though.

kyrules2008

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
FWIW, you can link directly to a post if you right-click on the post# and copy its location.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/6592860/

Also, those test patterns were designed to illustrate the horizontal line issue on the last gen 15" PowerBook, so they may not directly apply to the issue with the Air. It's just that the PowerBook issue was the most recent issue that might have related...

Thanks for the tip on the link. It was interesting though that the latest MB didn't have the flickering problem with the same test pattern. A store employee saw those patterns on MB and MBA, and confirmed the flicker problem on the MBA.

bigrasmusdk

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
I am currently waiting for my THIRD replacement.... Although I seriously doubt I will receive a working (meaning 4 finger swipe/no horizontal lines) copy of the MBA 2.0.

I will post here as soon as I receive it

kyrules2008

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
yes, your right, no "fail" but there is a little "flickering", not so on my MBP.

The MBA I played with at the store had quite a bit of flickering.

My 6 month old 15' MBP also flickers a bit with the test pattern, but I have not had any display related problem what so ever thus far.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
unfortunately, the lines issue appeared on my macbook air on Sunday and so I returned it today. They did offer me an exchange, but opening up the new one had a very dirty screen, and the manager refused to open up another.

No problem for me so I just took the refund. I did compare a previous gen macbook air to the rev. 2 version and the rev. 1's screen was significantly brighter and clearer.

LeonX

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Well, there are people who experience the lines and people who don't. I wonder if there is anybody who got a replacement and was eventually satisfied?

orch5

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
I have a 9C9A here, identical to the others. Also no four finger swipe either. I'm returning mine back today and Apple is replacing it (UK model).

I spent some time comparing the Air display with my white (Intel) MacBook. On reflection the MacBook screen is darker, but the display is crisper and the text much cleaner than the Air. The screen on the Air is fantastic and bright but the lines seem to make the text less readable. It reminds me of a slightly out of sync CRT monitor, as if the text is just a little off focus, very subtle but you know it’s not right. It's odd to describe but I have to say I noticed it instantly when it was out of the box.

It gets more annoying in a darker room and it's *very* distracting when typing documents. You constantly find you’re questioning the focus, more so when you know you have a MacBook that you’ve used for years with a perfect screen (and nearly a £1000 less money).

I’m not entirely sure the replacement will be any better. However, if I do get one without the lines I will post about it on here.

Right! Back to my MacBook.

G.

I've very reluctantly returned my replacement MacBook Air to Apple today for a refund.

Unfortunately the replacement Air still had a screen that was ‘grainy’ in appearance. I am not confident that I will ever get a replacement without the grainy appearance. I am pretty much convinced that the coating on the screen is the issue. I do not believe that it a fault with the system or LCD itself.

Essentially I used the Air for a couple of days for word processing. I found that while the screen is bright, the white background is not even. Half way through editing my document I swapped MackBooks and used a White Intel MacBook instead. There is a very discernable difference in the quality between the two screens. The White MacBook is sharper and the text is crisp and clear. My eyes felt a lot better looking and the White MacBook screen.

To be honest, I couldn’t really care about the four finger swipe (which didn't work BTW). But I do care about my eyes, and I feel the screen quality of the Air is not reflected in the price of the product (no pun intended).

I’m in London next week and will pop-in to Regents Street and have a chat with someone about.

Graham.

al3ph

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
got replacement same problem, no 4 finger swipe, and faint grey lines, could probably live with this if it didn't make my eyes hurt after 5 minutes of use.
It certainly looks like an issue with the top plastic layer of the lcd.
going to ask for refund as I've little hope of getting a fixed air, and Apple support seems oblivious to the issue (how?)

al3ph

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Guess i was lucky no lines at all.

From the sounds of it you were VERY lucky :)

Probably give it 6 months before I bother trying again, though I am a bit shocked with their QC, especially the 4 finger swipe screw up.

LeonX

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Guess i was lucky no lines at all.

Would it be possible that you simply don't see them - so either people seeing the lines would be more sensitive than the average user or you are less sensitive? I somehow doubt that the use a diffrent coating already...

echo44

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
Would it be possible that you simply don't see them - so either people seeing the lines would be more sensitive than the average user or you are less sensitive? I somehow doubt that the use a diffrent coating already...

I think we have to assume the lines are on all units and some people may not be bothered by them or do not perceive them those are the lucky ones.
The only way to prove that all units are not plagued by this is for someone
who has identified the problem with their MBA return it and receive
a replacement without the problem. So far no one has claimed this. Until this happens I think I will hold off buying the new air or change my mind and get a new MBP. I carefully looked at all the new MBAs in the apple store and none of the units had the same lines

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I've very reluctantly returned my replacement MacBook Air to Apple today for a refund.

Unfortunately the replacement Air still had a screen that was ‘grainy’ in appearance. I am not confident that I will ever get a replacement without the grainy appearance. I am pretty much convinced that the coating on the screen is the issue. I do not believe that it a fault with the system or LCD itself.

Essentially I used the Air for a couple of days for word processing. I found that while the screen is bright, the white background is not even. Half way through editing my document I swapped MackBooks and used a White Intel MacBook instead. There is a very discernable difference in the quality between the two screens. The White MacBook is sharper and the text is crisp and clear. My eyes felt a lot better looking and the White MacBook screen.

To be honest, I couldn’t really care about the four finger swipe (which didn't work BTW). But I do care about my eyes, and I feel the screen quality of the Air is not reflected in the price of the product (no pun intended).

I’m in London next week and will pop-in to Regents Street and have a chat with someone about.

Graham.

Not trying to come across as a meanie but IMO you are being very picky and a bit OCD. You make it sound like the Air is hurting your eyes so bad that it's unusable. It sounds more like you are looking for perfection because you paid for it and because this forum has helped you to become a perfectionist.

I'm saying this because people work with computers all day at work and most computer monitors at work don't even come close in quality to your brand new home computer's screen. Most people have no choice but to deal with their job computer and even if the monitor is crappy they can't become OCD with their boss and make them replace it because it's either slightly grainy or has faint horizontal lines.

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I think we have to assume the lines are on all units and some people may not be bothered by them or do not perceive them those are the lucky ones.
The only way to prove that all units are not plagued by this is for someone
who has identified the problem with their MBA return it and receive
a replacement without the problem. So far no one has claimed this. Until this happens I think I will hold off buying the new air or change my mind and get a new MBP. I carefully looked at all the new MBAs in the apple store and none of the units had the same lines

I am very picky and have had quite a few Apple laptops in my time and I can say without a doubt, there are no lines on my unit.

orch5

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
I don't have any either. I think the coating theory may be off.

I'm going to stand by my guns. I think it's a screen infront of the LCD panel that is causing the problem. It is also possible that a coating on the screen is exacerbating it.

Try this: open a window with a lot of white in it (so you notice the lines more), then move the window around the screen. If you look closely as you do this you'll see that the 'grain' appears to be on top of the screen image. The lines do not change or move, the texture of the grain remains the same.

Anyway. Whatever it is it's annoying.

G.

orch5

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Not trying to come across as a meanie but IMO you are being very picky and a bit OCD. You make it sound like the Air is hurting your eyes so bad that it's unusable. It sounds more like you are looking for perfection because you paid for it and because this forum has helped you to become a perfectionist.

I'm saying this because people work with computers all day at work and most computer monitors at work don't even come close in quality to your brand new home computer's screen. Most people have no choice but to deal with their job computer and even if the monitor is crappy they can't become OCD with their boss and make them replace it because it's either slightly grainy or has faint horizontal lines.

Sorry, I don't agree. This is an £1800 laptop in the UK. Eighteen-hundred-pounds. I have two iMacs and a MacBook. All my other Macs have wonderful screens. I'm 40, with good eyesight, and have my own company which has 15 PCs. I sit at a screen on average for 10-12 hours a day, and use a variety of displays. The one I'm typing on now is a £200 Dell 19" monitor and is crisper than the Air, but not as bright.

Do not confuse me with some perfectionist seeking the unattainable. There are problems with some Airs, and the displays are uncomfortable to view after a short period of time.

Graham.

P.S. I am actually due for an eye test. :D

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
Sorry, I don't agree. This is an £1800 laptop in the UK. Eighteen-hundred-pounds. I have two iMacs and a MacBook. All my other Macs have wonderful screens. I'm 40, with good eyesight, and have my own company which has 15 PCs. I sit at a screen on average for 10-12 hours a day, and use a variety of displays. The one I'm typing on now is a £200 Dell 19" monitor and is crisper than the Air, but not as bright.

Do not confuse me with some perfectionist seeking the unattainable. There are problems with some Airs, and the displays are uncomfortable to view after a short period of time.

Graham.

P.S. I am actually due for an eye test. :D

Personally, I found the new MB to be unacceptable. Poor horiz. viewing angle, blurred fonts and inadequate black levels led me to return one and buy the new Air and a MBP.

It must be the abroad versions cause my U.S. Air has 4 finger swipe and a super bright, crisp non-lined display.;) I've even showed it to others just in case my eyes are really bad and no one has been able to see any lines except the ones that are supposed to be there.

kyrules2008

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2008
Personally, I found the new MB to be unacceptable. Poor horiz. viewing angle, blurred fonts and inadequate black levels led me to return one and buy the new Air and a MBP.

It must be the abroad versions cause my U.S. Air has 4 finger swipe and a super bright, crisp non-lined display.;) I've even showed it to others just in case my eyes are really bad and no one has been able to see any lines except the ones that are supposed to be there.

Hi NC MacGuy,
Have you tried the test pattern mentioned above on your MBA? Do you see any flickering at all? When I played with a store unit, I had a full screen Safari, had that pattern on, click on the pattern to have it fill the screen, and observed quite a bit of flickering.

Kind Regards

StefanR.

Nov 8, 2008
again me, now after using it yesterday and today some hours, definitely no lines, but a little flickering when looking at the test images posted above and that causes the burning in the eyes if you sit longer infornt of the screen.

so I think I will give it back.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
I had lines on my first and second MBA (Mini Displayport) and have seen them on every single new MBA I have seen.
They are not present on my MBA (Micro DVI).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.