Thin LCD line 15" UMBP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jeevesofRKdia, May 13, 2009.

1. jeevesofRKdia macrumors member

So I noticed today that I have a very thin line that runs the entire height of my screen. It's really noticeable when you're running darker gray things (like Garageband and iMovie) the interesting thing is that I never noticed it until today because it was conveniently along the divider line (and I decided to drag iMovie to another space and noticed it).

I'm thinking it's a backlight thing or a LCD thing. I haven't noticed it or tested it on Win7 to see if for some reason OS X is making it appear.

I can't take a screen capture of it (obviously), but when I get back from my university, I'll try to upload a pic if it's not resolved by then.

Do you think the store will replace it? Applecare?

EDIT: The picture is my attempt at showing the problem with a darker, thicker line. That's not actually the exact picture. Think a few shades lighter.

Attached Files:

2. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

I would definitely first call Apple, I would hope they would replace it.

They may have the same policy though as they do for pixels that you would have to see a few more lines for them to deem a replacement nesseary.

3. jeevesofRKdia thread starter macrumors member

Boo. I know the 5 dead pixel rule, but this seems a little different. You have over a million pixels while only 1440 lines....:rolleyes:

If they do decide to do something, what would I have to do in regards to getting iWork 09, iLife 09, Parallels, and all the other programs' licenses back? I have a TM backup and a Win7 image of C: on the same HD and all the necessary disks...

4. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Well if they replace either the screen or the logic board it's not going to affect the rest of your computer, however you are worried about somehow losing your stuff, just keep your hard drive when you send it in.

5. jeevesofRKdia thread starter macrumors member

Well, I mean if for some reason they end up replacing the whole thing (doubtful, but possible)...

But I will keep the HD if I do have to send it in. Thanks for that. It's the first Mac I've had to have repaired in 5 years.