Thinderbolt iMac external display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by creepy crab, Sep 14, 2011.

1. creepy crab macrumors member

Hi guys just a quick question... I remember alot of discussions when thunderbolt macs first came to the market, that Target display mode would only work with another thunderbolt enabled device. There was much speculation as to third parties engineering an adapter to solve this problem. Has such an adapter been developed yet, so the screen could be used to display input from an HDMI xbox 360 for example?
    Sorry if this has been covered a million times, but the posts i've read seem to all relate to older imacs with mini-dp. Cheers

2. err404 macrumors 68020

There are none available yet, but at least two are expected in the next couple of months. I'll try to find links...

3. creepy crab thread starter macrumors member

Cheers dude.. i'm not in a mad rush, but moving to uni on saturday so would be nice to eventually have a true all in one solution :)

4. err404 macrumors 68020

Atlona and Kanex are both working on devices to meet this requirement. Check their forums.
    The down side is that the initial devices may be HDMI, so they would max out at less then the native resolution of the 27" iMac. Still, they would be very good for a gaming console or HDTV receiver.

5. creepy crab thread starter macrumors member

I realise this doesn't help 27" users, but as a soon to be uni student living in a box room, i went for the 21.5 iMac, as the 27 would look ridiculous, if it would even fit in there... so for me HDMI is fine at 1080 :) I think the initial cost of the devices will probably be the most troubling factor...