Things about Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sashaidar, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Sashaidar macrumors newbie

As well few Questions about Opting MAC over PC

Hello everyone
    I am a switcher (from PC)..& I’m really enthused so much.
    I have several questions/thoughts about my MAC, I want to share them with you people..thus.. Gain your experience within.
    After long thinking whether I should switch to the MAC or keep my loyalty to PC..I finally decided; i bought Macbook Pro 2.2 quad i7, with Lion OS (OX S 10.7).
    The reason stand behind my switching..is not that I hate MS windows (windows 7 specifically)..but the hassles I suffered from strange behavior of PCs OS after some time.which force you to make a clean install on (let’s say) regular basis.
    Here’s what I mean, (& I need your opinion please about these things..& if I might face similar issues in MAC):
    In many previews windows PCs & Laptops I owned..i always reach a point finding my Win OS start to acting strangely. maybe because of using several applications/software..or because I used to add/remove plenty of them.
    What I mean in concept “acting strangely” is that many installed applications does not start up (launch) properly or not responded sometimes. in many occasions i had to Re-install them in order to let them work again.
    One of my PC geek friend, informed me that this is because of other applications that you Uninstalled previously, affect other important files called “shared files”, that been uninstalled/removed as well..Leading other applications (associated to these shared files), to behave strangely –thus- making them unstable.

So, let me understand this well:
    Each time i add/remove programs..I’ll be passing through this journey of fixing & re-installing?..?

Hey..Windows registry..What a mess you are..!!

While other MAC Fan.. Tell me that this is NOT the case in MAC OS X.
    MAC deal differently with its installed applications. Since OS X 10.+ based on Unix..the installed software become like (Isolated from others installed software)..Therefore..Uninstalling them will not affect others.

MAC Expertise:
    Question No. 1:
    i will appreciate your opinions in articulate the benefits of installing/uninstalling programs on MAC over PC..& if there will be similar issues on OS X like in PC.

Other thing I start to hate in PCs, & concern of, is the flash memory USB/SD Card devices Drives.
    Let me state:
    One of days..i inserted my USB drive to copy some materials from my PC.
    A message suddenly appears saying/meaning that it is recommended to let windows scan/fix errors in my drive. It’s Odd thing. my USB Drive was almost new..& clean from cluttered & viruses. but I went ahead & accept the fixing process..till another message appear saying in meaning: unable to fix due to error in I/O Read (input/Output).
    I clicked ok..removed & Re-insert it again.yet a message pop up saying: “Cannot read from the device”.
    With horror..i turned on my other laptop & insert my device..but with same “error I/O read” message.
    Thanks to my God that I have not stored yet my important files.i decided to format my drive.
    First, it takes long time until my devise show up under “My Computer”..(with no ability to access it).
    With right click on the device name & choose format..a massage stroked on my screen: cannot format..error in I/O.
    DEAD. My new USB become dead. the funeral occurred.
    The Horror show commenced:
    My other device (the SD Card)..when inserted (in same PC)..Take the same journey as his first mate. Even in my other laptop..the device also infected with ( ..well..i don’t know in what)..& become dead as well.
    I had suspicious about it might be because of “very intelligent/new virus” that hit my PC.
    So I run full check up from my antivirus software..as well running diagnosed software for repairing any registry faults. Both diagnoses result were OK.nothing wrong in my system.
    I cursed win OSs..& I slept unhappy that night.
    So, my Question No.2 will be:
    Might I face similar situations of my portable USB/SD storage devices in OS X? (System wise ...Not Hardware issues)?.

Keep reading please:

My MBP came with 500GB HDD (5400 RPM).
    I want to replace it with my 256 SSD Kingston (SSDNow SATA II, V+ series), & I wish to install snow leopard OS (I get a 10.6 OS X DVD installer).. Instead of Lion OS.
    Question No. 3:
    Can I do that? Installing snow leopard? Are my late 2011 MBP Specifications still support 10.6?..if so..what about MBP device drivers (ex.: my VGA 512 DDR5 Radeon card driver – thunderbolt driver– etc..), how can I get these drivers?

Question No. 4:
    As for the SSD Drive: Apple does not support Trim yet for other SSD, except her own. However..several threads on the net describes TWO ways that enable you to do so:
    1- Using a software called “Trim Enabler”..(or similar)
    2- Using few commands on “Terminal”.
    3-
    I much prefer the second method ..because (if you can do it, why let (others) do it for you)?..right?.
    To be honest..I didn’t understand though the way they described using command line (several CMD lines needs to paste into the terminal)..but..what are those cmds? Are they safe? They will be compatible with my SSD..?.. with my OS X?. it’s complicated procedure for win user.
    Anybody know easy way (feeding up by spoon-like) tutorial?..and shows step by step procedure? a video perhaps? (I searched on youtube with no luck).
    Finally..I thanks all of you here..& most important..people that will help me kick my (PC Geek) Friend’s B*tt..the one who tried much to prevent me buying a MAC..Saying that I can have instead, an ultimate PC machine with the price of a med value MAC (he summarized the price..as well the magnificent of thousand of software & games out there, that PC provide over the MAC).
    & In order to kick..i need to arm myself with facts that strengthen my switching decision.

Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I will confess I didn't read that wall of text, but I will say this... I believe you will be happy with your switch and if you are patient, you will find the answer to all of your questions

You might try breaking them up into more specific threads in the appropriate forums

Good luck with your switch
    And if you long for Windows, you can always Bootcamp or run virtualized alongside OS X

3. JohnnyChao macrumors member

i dont undersatnd why u would want to downgrade to snow leaopord. everything snow leopard does lion does. plus mountain lion willbe out soon.

SSDs are fine

just buy the ocmputer and enjoy it

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Wow! That's an epic post! To answer a couple of your concerns, PCs and Macs are (obviously) computers and, as such, you have to learn their way of doing things. It takes a while to get used to how things are done on each one because, although there are some similarities, they do operate quite differently.

Some of your PC problems sound as though you have a virus or some type of malware on board. I've worked on PCs (and Macs) for years and never HAD to do a clean install to fix things. If you uninstall a program using the PC's Control Panel's "Programs and Features" option, you shouldn't have problems once the program is uninstalled. However, you don't want to do random deletions from the operating system (Win7 or otherwise). That can lead to disaster.

In the case of your new flash drive, I've noticed my PC asking to repair flash drives from time to time, but have clicked "cancel," rather than "OK." If you read the request carefully, it just asks if you want to check it for problems - not that there actually are any.

If a flash drive isn't recognized by the computer (the computer doesn't "see" it), I recommend removing it and then doing a hard reset - push and hold the PCs power button until the screen goes black. Wait a couple minutes and restart using the power button. Then click "Start Windows Normally" when asked.

There's no guarantee changing to a Mac will eliminate your computer issues. However, I think you will find the Mac experience to be a quality one, once you get used to the Apple way of doing things. Good luck!

5. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

No, you shouldn't have problems like that on the Mac. Frankly, you shouldn't have problems like that on Windows either, but OS X is more stable in this way and always has been.

This again really shouldn't really be a problem for either OS, but because OS X is less prone to bizarre driver errors, it is more unlikely. It is of course a possibility in this case that there was an actual problem with the USB. I will say though that I've taken SD cards and USB drives that other computers or devices have refused to read and used them in my Mac with zero issues. Why? I have no idea, but it does seem to be less picky.

Yes, you can install your SSD without an issue.

No, you can't install Snow Leopard, at least without some serious legwork on your part. Not because the hardware can't run it, but my understanding is that there are firmware issues when going backwards. Is there some specific reason you want to go to SL? If it's just because of the web forum whining about Lion, don't let that scare you.

The vast majority of issues were related to specific apps not being updated at launch and most have been resolved. The others had more to do with people not being comfortable adapting to the changes than anything else. You're adapting from Windows, so I say just roll with it. Even if Lion doesn't have anything that excites you, a future version will and then you'll have to deal with it all anyway.

It is correct that Apple only supports TRIM for their own SSD drives. My understanding is that Trim Enabler can cause problems and should be avoided. The Terminal instructions are the better way to go. I'll let someone else point you to good instructions. I haven't done it myself, as my SSD has built in garbage collection.

You should also consult the manufacturer's web page for your SSD. Make sure that it actually supports TRIM, not all of them do.

As for "Kicking your PC friend's butt", you probably can't. He'll go on and on about this spec or that spec that are totally irrelevant to performance and he'll never give in. All the gesture based controls in Lion and pretty cool though, they usually make my PC friends jealous.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Pro-tip: don't use Google translate for a wall of text.

Now, many of the problems you described could be due to user error in one way or another. You may very well experience all of the same problems on OSX, but the frequency and severity may be lower.

OSX dummy proofs a lot of stuff too, but performing the wrong actions can still cause major problems.

7. Sashaidar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Arelunde

Actually..not a "random deletions".i uninstall what should be in need to uninstall.no joke about it.better yet..i used to use Revo uninstaller for safe remove purpose.but still after a while facing this "strange" behavior.
    I'm using windows since win 95..& i'm aware about dealing with PC.but i had enough from such (bizzar) things.

as for USB flash drive..i do read carefully what the message write.& trust me, i know the difference between.but this is else matter.

seeking for perfection in computers?..maybe..but need to know whether remain a dream..or some how a fact?

thanks again

----------

8. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

The majority of these problems that users say they're having are they're own fault, I've been running what is deemed a terrible version of Windows (Vista) for years and have had no major slowdowns/problems that you speak of.

I think a lot of these 'faults' of Windows are actually the faults of users who do not know how to properly maintain a system to ensure its optimum performance.

9. Sashaidar thread starter macrumors newbie

<<I think a lot of these 'faults' of Windows are actually the faults of users who do not know how to properly maintain a system to ensure its optimum performance>>.

- what kind of maintain you are referring to? what type of..I need to follow/do/take care of?
    if adding/removing programs considered as a wrong use of a PC..then, what you'll expect from these machines anyway?

10. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Well lets put it this way, I've installed and removed 100s of programs, yet find that my system runs as it has always done, no slower, no faster, what I mean by maintenance is the infrequent removal of startup programs/unused system files/removal of programs not used etc. many users do not do these simple things and find that their system is suddenly very slow.

11. Sashaidar thread starter macrumors newbie

In a nutshell;

Things (hassles) I used to face in Windows, the possibilities that I might face them as well in OS X is Exist. Right?.

If yes, this will lead me to think that, buying a MAC, was nearly a mistake.. or not a necessary step.is this a correct statement from my side?.

Here, peoples whom replied to my questions, indicate themselves as PC Geeks/experts also..some of them runs windows for years without serious issues..while others never need to Re-install the Win OS.
    So, if all of this true..what’s the raison stand behind those folks, that encourage them to make their move from PC to MAC? What this War about from first place if both machines acts similarly & fine (with little knowledge/ perception from the users), & without to mention PC’s extra benefits of: Price, Drivers, upgrade, & wide range of software?.

Anybody here can assure to me that my decision of buying a MAC, was (little) Wise? reason for buying is because the stability of the OS X – as (iUsers) claimed - since there is NO REGISTERY KEYS or similar corruption things on it.

& for those whom wondering; YES..i do simple tweaking to my PC..Windows is tweakable enough to drag any user to do so.., & I guess that there is many MAC users tweak their OS as well..right?

Finally:
    I don’t want to waste anybody time (or mine), & drawn ourselves in sterile argue about MAC vs PC..
    But I really like to throw little lights on few spots that many users/readers, around the globe, interested/concerned to see/know.
    Thanks

Ah..one more thing:
    I downloaded & installed a small program called "TabLauncher".
    It run perfectly well..but anyone can tell me WHERE IT’S INSTALLATION LOCATION? (in Lion)? curious only:eek:
    It’s not in APPLICATIONS folder, nor in UTILITY. where it might be?