Things app. WTF?? A pricing rant?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Razeus, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

So I've been reading up on Things for the iPhone and iPad since it's suppose to be the best task manager (to-do list). :eek::eek:

They want $10 for the iPhone version.

They want ANOTHER $20 for the iPad version.

Then, GET THIS, they DON'T EVEN SYNC WITH EACH OTHER!!!!! :mad:

$30 to build a "to-do" app I can't sync them between my iToys? :rolleyes:

I'll buy 2Do and wait for the UNIVERSAL iPad version to come out which will SYNC between my iToys. I wanted to get NotifyMe, but they don't have an iPad version out yet either.

2. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Join the club. I wouldn't recommend anyone buy their apps. Take your money and use it on something constructive instead. Honestly, Field Notes notebooks, a nice pen or pencil will get you further than Things. Seriously.

3. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

I was a die hard things supporter for the last few years, and kept ignoring the comments about Omnifocus. I finally gave in and went to Omnifocus after watching a 45 min video on how to use Omnifocus. Omnifocus is so far beyond Things that I cannot believe I waited so long. For some, Omnifocus seems a little daunting at first as it has a LOT more features than things, but that video changed all that for me

4. IronLogik macrumors 6502

I have OmniFocus. But I'm having difficulty keeping everything straight...

What video is this that you speak of?

5. cheekyjeremy macrumors regular

There are two that are worth watching. I cannot stress enough the importance of watching them both completely. It is a good learning tool, and allowed me to walk right into using Omnifocus. I am a pretty heavy user of that kind of software, so I did not want a real long learning curve

Basics
    http://bit.ly/cFwVN3

Advanced (this continues on from the above, don't watch as stand alone)
    http://bit.ly/acCBus

6. Scott56R Guest

Scott56R

How the people who develop 'Things' can justify such a huge amount of money for a 'nothing special' to-do manager is beyond me.

I use NotifyMe2, it works perfectly and the support is fantastic

7. rebelmac macrumors member

I used to use Things as well. It was infuriating, so I dumped it.

Now, I use Taskpaper for all my todos. It's not a structured todo app, but if you spend a few minutes it's easy to setup a structure. It syncs really well too. Best app I ever spent money on.

8. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

Things lost me when they released and sold the app saying online syncing was "coming very soon". After waiting for more than a year I moved on to something else. Glad I did as Things STILL doesn't have online syncing...

9. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Same here. Still missing the sync and I've moved on to OmniFocus and haven't looked back.

10. ltsching macrumors member

I have also balked at paying for the iPad version and am looking for alternatives. What I really like about Things is how you can easily add from email or other applications without much intrusion. Do any other apps have similar function? I looked at Taskpaper, but I don't see reminder or due dates. I would like something that can sync between my Mac, iPhone and iPad. Thanks.

11. IronLogik macrumors 6502

If you use the Services menu you can easily send text to OmniFocus as well. There's also a quick add dialog that can be used with a global hot key setup.

Taskpaper is very minimalistic. The whole idea there is just to use plain text and format it within the application to match the syntax. If you open a Taskpaper file in a normal text editor you will see it is exactly as it is in the Taskpaper app. But Taskpaper filters and formats the text to look differently.

Both are very nice options. Taskpaper is probably the single most different todo list app on the market right now. But it's simply too much maintenance for me. The idea is to get things out of my head and into a trusted system. For me, things seem to get lost in Taskpaper. OmniFocus is large but it does everything you'll ever want it to do. My only beef really is the iPhone app sucks. It's a tad bloated.

For what it's worth. I'm working on my own Task Management application. No clue when it'll be available but it's something I've been working on that I think a lot of people will be able to use. If you have requests or comments or whatever, feel free to shoot me an email via the forum here. I may or may not respond but I will certainly read anything that is sent to me.

12. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Is Omnifocus a universal app that I can use on the iPad as well?

13. Brammy macrumors 65816

it is currently not available on the iPad -- or in an iPad native form.

14. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

It is not out yet, but OmniFocus for iPad should be released any time now. Their blog posts show they are in the final stages...

15. IronLogik macrumors 6502

Yup. iPad app coming soon. I'm curious to see it in action... not so curious about the price... if their other iPad apps are any indication it won't be cheap.

16. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Some other more reasonably priced GTD apps are Appigo Todo (my personal choice with cloud sync via toodledo.com), toodledo apps themselves, and I think Taska also follows GTD concepts.

17. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I have both, but prefer Things for my to do needs, on my Mac, iPhone and iPad.

18. applesupergeek macrumors 6502a

The guys who make things are pretty good and admirable developers but major a holes when it comes to their pricing and you can tell this by the way the respond to comments in their blog. So i echo the ops sentiments.

19. Marcus263 macrumors regular

Things by Culture Code is an IMMENSELY over-rated application. Things has major flaws but the developers seem to be stuck in 'cloud 9' with all the attention they are getting from magazines and blogs.

It's just such a basic application for what they are pricing it at. There are quite a few other applications that seem to be getting some momentum.

I paid for all three apps (iPhone, iPad and the Mac application) incrementally with the hopes that they will fix problems but they never get fixed.

I really despise Things and Culture Code and dream of their demise.

20. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I bought initially Things for my MBP and later on also for my iPhone. But when I saw the pricing for the iPad version, I really felt that enough is enough. There is just no way that I'll be paying that greedy company another $20 for something that is priced so much out of line with other to-do apps. It is most likely that I'll stop using it altogether and look for an alternative solution which also offers online synching.

21. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

Ya, there's something wrong with this company. I guess their model is that if they work on it they can charge for it. So basically, new device? then pay us another fee. The People will vote with their wallets. The market will take care of them and then they'll realize. And where we are, mid July and they STILL don't have an update where you can sync your iPhone/iPad together. What a joke.

22. Brammy macrumors 65816

I am pretty sure the iPad version of Omnifocus will also be a separate fee -- I don't think they've said it's going to be a universal app.

While the cloud syncing is important to me, I just can't justify rebuying three versions of a software package to get it. I'll just have to wait until Cultured Code gets its act together.

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

No, it's going to be a new, separate app from the iPhone version. And as IronLogik said, it's probably not going to be cheap; my hunch is that it will be a $40 price tag. But, you know, I'll probably grit my teeth and buy it, because I really do use OmniFocus a lot and I know I'll get my money's worth out of it.

24. Marcus263 macrumors regular

If you can get your head around Omnifocus then you'll realise that it's a superior application to Things. Omnifocus could stack-up as an individual iPhone app but Things on it's own is totally crap.

They are getting negative reviews on the App Store.

25. Brammy macrumors 65816

Well, lets be fair here, a negative review on App Store doesn't mean much in terms of actual app quality.

That said, yeah, the amount of stuff I still have to do in the desktop version of Things is a downer.