Things apple can learn from samsung

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by tl01, Aug 20, 2017.

1. tl01 macrumors 68000

I feel crazy even typing this...bc I am totally an Apple fan girl...but wow, battery life is amazing on the S8 and the fast wireless charging is fantastic! Loving the wireless charging too especially when it works in a case. Really hope the next iPhone incorporates some of these goodies. That said...the touch screens of the android phones still seem less accurate and the the OS is still a wreck for me.

2. Indian Devil macrumors regular

Battery life great on S8? It's no better than iPhone non plus models.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Battery life on the 7 Plus is outstanding. After 12 hours of continual use, I am at 55% or higher. And that's not even including with power save mode on.

4. Txguy82 macrumors regular

Txguy82

What's the best app on s8 to send full resolution videos to either Android or Apple?

5. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm not doubting that the S8 has good battery life, but the battery life on iPhones have always seemed reasonable to me. That said, faster charging would definitely be a welcomed addition for me though! As far as the OS, I share a similar opinion as you.

6. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

12 hours of usage and you’re still at 55%? No way. You must play or stream a ton of music with the screen off. I can get to about 10-11 hours with about 25% left, and that’s on a good day.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nowhere in your statement did you mention a LED notification light as one of the things Apple could learn from Samsung.

Strange…

8. akash.nu macrumors 68040

akash.nu

I do feel the LED indicators to be the best feature out of all that the iPhone can benefit from as well.

9. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

timeconsumer

I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned either. I wouldn't mind seeing that as a configurable option in a future iPhone as well.

But Apple would prefer that you buy an Apple Watch instead.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple always prefers that you spend more money for basic, but not included features. :)

11. JohnApples macrumors 65816

Hell, even as someone with an Apple Watch, a notification light is still one of my top requested features.

12. Relentless Power, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Yes way. I'm a fairly light user and generally connected to WIfi. And It's not continual usage just for reference. I don't run a lot of applications or any intensive media. I basically use my iPhone for notifications/E-mails, and a few calls. My average battery life is approximately 50% between 10-12 hours easily.

13. harlenmm77 macrumors 6502

You said “after 12 hours of continuous use”, not “after being turned on for 12 hours”

14. Relentless Power, Aug 20, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Right. Since you're quoting this message, it clearly states the following for clarification After the initial response:

15. AfroAbel macrumors regular

AfroAbel

the only feature that I'd love to see on the iPhone 8 would be some sort of always-on-display.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wouldnt that take a big hit on the battery?
    And why cant you do that now by turning off autolock?

17. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

They couldn't do that with an LCD display because you have to backlight the entire display. With OLED you can just light up the pixels that you need. Very little drain on the battery.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

^^^Yep, this.

Apparently some devices make a slight shift of lit pixels as well. Not even noticeable to the human eye, but prevents any chance of burn-in.

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

AOD is not a big drain on phones with OLED panels. In fact, i believe there have been studies shown that it comes out to something like .05% per hour or something ridiculously low.

The problem with Android is that the OS doesn't go into a very heavy sleep mode when the screen is off like on iOS devices. This is why battery life on most Android phones suck.
    There have been tons of battery tests that show that Apple isn't even in the top 5 anymore on battery life, but these tests are with the screens always on running apps and videos. Turn the screen off on an iPhone and it will barely lose 1% in 8 hours, while Android will lose 20% or more, depending on the phone.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    What pixels would you have light up or on at all times?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2017 ---
    Interesting, AOD I assume you mean always on displays?
    I know with my iphone if I leave the screen always on it would destroy my battery fast and will become hot as a toaster. :D

21. torana355 macrumors 68020

You have no idea what you are talking about, my S8 plus uses around 3 percent battery over 8 hours with the screen off, not 20..... Also the SOT of the S8 beats the iPhone 7.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Clock and notifications.

The OLED screens are one of the reasons the speculation is that Apple will debut it's version of a notification LED. Having an area on screen that's lit to show what type of notifications you have (email, text, etc) would be one use for this.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think that also has to do with what apps you have installed and the way you have your android phone setup.
    Apple/iphone will not let you do certain things or allow apps to continue to background and drain your battery.
    With android you have way more control but that can also be a bad thing with people installing or setting up things that eat their battery very fast.

That's interesting. So some pixels on the screen that stay on and display date/time and incoming alerts?
    Judging from the past I dont see Apple ever putting a blinking separate LED light but something like this on the screen sounds more feasible.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Right. It would be an Apple way to answer a longstanding request for a notifcation LED. Presumably you'd be able to turn it off if you wanted to or even set a display time. That's speculation, but it's something actually feasible with an OLED screen.

25. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Yeah, I have an S8, as well as an iPhone 7. You need to re-read my entire post and understand what was said. Read it carefully this time around.