Things by Culture Code, now obsolete in IOS 5

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Marcus263, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Marcus263 macrumors regular

I think I'm with a lot of people here when I say that I'm happy that Things by Culture Code will become pretty useless after IOS 5 and Reminders. They've been milking if for all its worth for the last 3 - 4 years, charging independent prices for all their apps and promising features that never see the day. On top of charging independent prices for all their apps, once they have their cloud sync in place you have to pay for that **** too.

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

It depends. People that need more than a simple ToDo list, won't be needing anything else than Reminders on iOS 5. There is still a market for people that depend a lot on a task/project manager and use the GTD methodology.

3. farmersland macrumors newbie

Yes, thats right. But people who are really into the GTD methodology will use apps like OmniFocus and not Things. For them, Things is just too superficial.
    People, like me, who preferred just simple ToDo-Lists are currently using Things and are very likely to switch to Reminders in iOS5. The obvious advantages of Reminders are that it is free, there is cloud syncing and it is just as easy to use as things is.
    I think CulturedCode made a huge mistake by underestimating the importance of good syncing capabilities. The whole concept of Things is in trouble.

4. Marcus263 thread starter macrumors regular

The developers of Things are soo slow to incorporate features. Almost all of the other leading GTD apps in the App Store implemented basic features such as repeating tasks, dependency tasks, location awareness and alarms in early versions of their apps. Things on the other hand has been dwelling on its aesthetics and its "endorsements" from Mac magazines - but this was all based on reviews in 2008/2009 when the other GTD alternative was Omnifocus and that was it. They're still living in the past.

When you purchase Things now, you need to understand that you have to pay extortionate amounts for the Desktop Version, iPad Version, iPhone version and they all come without efficient sync capabilities. They're in beta testing now for cloud sync which will be subscription based.

5. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I still thing that there is a market for apps like Things. People who want something more than reminders but not so complicated like Omnificus will find Things a nice app to use.

6. gks macrumors 6502

I hate Things and the culture over at Cultured Code. But it is far from obsolete.