Things don't work properly on first start after shut down.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iVikD, Oct 23, 2011.

1. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

Hi, I'm using an early 2011 15" MBP with Lion 10.7.2 installed. Now, I don't usually turn it off, just put it to sleep, but when I do turn it off and then turn it on again later that day or another day, some things don't work. The things I've noticed not working are the sound (system preferences claim there are no input or output devices connected), the USB ports (again, no input devices) and from time to time, bluetooth.
    The first few times it happened, I ran permission and disk checks, fixed a couple of permissions and rebooted, it would work perfectly. On later occasions, there would be no errors whatsoever, and the reboot would fix the problems. It's really a bother to have to reboot the computer as soon as I turn it on >_> has anyone had this happen to them?
    I think it might be a problem with some drivers not loading properly and whatnot, but I can't say for sure.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah it happens sometimes. Its a little bug.
    I had my head phone plugged in and I plugged it out then system pref claims there is still a sound output device and sounds wont come out of the speaker.

Then I usually have to restart it. Its a little problem with the mac I guess.
    Not a huge deal though

3. mape2k macrumors regular

Try to disable the option "reopen windows on start-up" before you shut down the laptop. Does it help?

4. iVikD, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

I always disable it...
    I also noticed my graphics have gotten a bit sluggish... Mission control, for example, windows don't smoothly slide into place, they just kinda snap there... The only graphics plugin I have installed is gfxCardStatus... I don't wanna have to reinstall Lion, what a hassle...

5. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

Still nothing? I was thinking of re-installing Lion, but I can't do that under my current internet connection. I'll try it at some point and post the results.

6. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Not a huge deal? If I were you, I would send the laptop back and ask for replacement.

7. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

That would have been the first thing I'd tried if I didn't live in a country without Apple retail stores.

8. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

Then you only have the OS reinstalling option, and then reinstall your software one by one in order to spot the culprit. That's what I would do.

9. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

I was hoping to avoid that altogether... Well, it does seem to be the only solution at the moment. Thanks for the replies, I'll see how it works out.

10. Nick McEnjoy macrumors member

No need to thank. I learn, too. Good luck!