things going wrong since mybook hard drive...please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by student_trap, May 12, 2007.

1. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

hey guys, so this is whats happened:

i bought a mybook pro external hard disk, inastalled the software that came with it which i then found out only makes the blue light thing on the HD work properly. However, my computer took forever to start up, so i dragged the new app to trash and removed it from the library/startupitems folder.

Since this i have noticed these problems:

1. the HD looses connection when my mbp wakes from sleep, giving me the (device removed unproperly notice)

2. Startup is still slow at the beginning when there is a gray screen and the circular thing whizzing round

3. iTunes won't start, it half opens (the triangle is below the icon in the dock), but nothing comes on screen. Force Quitting tells me it is not responding, although even after force quitting the app the triangle doesn't go away and the :apple: TAB command shows the iTunes app as still (half) open.

Whats going on?????

please help,
    student_trap

2. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

ok, the itunes problem was because of the shuffle that was connected to it, although i'm sure that an ipod shouldn't make the whole app stutter?

the other problems (1. and 2.) are still there though, and i timed the gray screen to be taking 50 seconds, as opposed to the 20 it used to...any ideas?

3. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

For the startup problem try this:

Sys Prefs --> Startup Disk --> (Unlock if needed) --> Select "Mac OS X on Macintosh HD" Or whatever it says there.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

What kind of Hard Drive did you get, and can you completely uninstall whatever it is you installed.

5. student_trap thread starter macrumors 68000

student_trap

that is the selected drive, thanks for the imput though! i think that the software may have put something weird in a file somewhere, and that osx is trying to access this but cant as i have uninstalled the app. when the app was installed, it was taking ages though, nearly 3 minutes in total when starting up!

I got a mybook pro 500 GB HD with FW 400/800 and usb 2, my guess is that it put a file in a directory somewhere but have no clue what to look for and don't want to (further) mess up my 5 month old mbp! Again, thanks for the imput...any ideas though?