Things I hate about Madden 2011...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by spaceballl, Aug 28, 2010.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

yes yes... feel free to add to the list. Every year, videogame football fans have to buy Madden. We're addicted. We're angry that the NFL has an exclusive agreement because if there were competition, the game would get better at a much faster rate. So here are some things I hate about the most recent rendition.
    • Lag - I played NFL2K on my dreamcast over a dial-up 10 years ago with about the same amount of lag as Madden nowadays. I know it's not just me. My opponents often miss extra points because the lag is so awful. And why is something like a kicking meter dependent on the connection? The kicking meter should be on the client side, and the result of the button pushes is the only thing that should be transmitted, getting rid of all lag. Anyhow, just poor design decisions
    • Opening game sequence - It doesn't matter which teams you pick. Every game starts with your team doing a rendition of the Drew Brees / New Orleans saints cheer. Wtf? No team does that except the saints... and for us to see every single team do it... every single time? Why?
    • Quitting / DNF (does not finish) - This was an issue last year so I'm surprised to see it get even more confusing this year. I just was beating a guy 14-nothing, and then i forced a fumble. It was in the second quarter. Mysteriously the connection fails right after that. I get an option that says "Your opponent has quit." There is only one option I can select: "Quit". So then when I click "Quit" it asks me, "Are you sure you want to quit?" Well, no... i'm not sure... but if I click no, it takes me right back to the previous screen. It's just really annoying and quirky. They do keep track of a DNF percentage, but there have been many times when my opponent has quit on me and MY percentage goes up. Wildly annoying!
    • Chatpad support (PS3 specific) - Last year, you could trash talk with the PS3 chatpad. I didn't own one, but I saw messages pop up from time to time, and I thought it was pretty funny. What did I do in the offseason? Buy a chatpad... What did EA do in the offseason? Disable chatpad support...
    • Commentary Repetitiveness - This has been a complaint for a LONG time, and my PS3 uses blu-freaking-ray discs. There is enough space on there for a LOT more audio. Not only should there be more audio, but I'm surprised the AI engine isn't better at this point. It's ridiculous that if you do a FB pass, there might be some commentary about how great of a WR that player is.
    • Opening Video - I actually really like the opening video. I watched it the first time I got the game. Aw heck - I may have watched it twice. Nobody who plays Madden a couple times a week watches it, though, and it takes forever to load, and forever to skip. Why not only have this show for the first 50 plays or something?

Anyhow, it's been a frustrating morning of Madden for me so I was inspired to write this post! I know I could speak with my wallet and not buy it, but I love videogame football, football, and videogames... it's right up my alley! Alas, I just have to hope the NFL decides to not renew that exclusive agreement, next time it expires.......

2. Salacion macrumors 6502a

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Who plays Madden with the sound on anymore? Seriously... my expectations for better commentary stopped around 2004.

4. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

RAIDER NATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Haha I suppose that's a good point... Well, I enjoy the hits, the crowd, etc.

5. Salacion macrumors 6502a

How are the Raiders in the preseason? Haven't kept track.

Do they have a chance this year?

6. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

They are undefeated in the preseason, which may mean a lot or nothing, depending on your perspective. I personally think they have a great shot at being above average this year. All the young players are flowing together quite well. They drafted well. Jason Campbell is no Payton Manning, but he may be good enough to get the offense clicking, and I think their defense is going to be pretty damn good this year.

As for whether or not they have a chance, I'll be in Laughlin this upcoming weekend, and I'm going to bet $50 on them winning the superbowl :D. I wonder what kind of odds I'll get!

7. Salacion macrumors 6502a

Preseason doesn't matter to me, especially since my team (Chargers) has lost every single game :rolleyes:

But I wish you luck!

8. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Madden?

Is it true that Madden comments are not in this version of the game? If this is true, then why call it Madden?

Hugh

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The only thing Raiders fans need to know is that Jason Campbell is no Jamarcus Russell.

Then turn commentary off...

Branding and franchising.

10. macfan881 macrumors 68020

I do like the addition of Gus Johnson but the other guy? cant rember seems to be a complete copy of last years and the SuperBowl celebrations are what make's the game good. overall NCAA 11 is a much better polish game, but if you want to feel rewarded for a Superbowl do one with the Titans or Lions, Gus does a nice reconignation in a classy way for McNair when you win with the Titans. RIP:(

11. spaceballl thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Won 3 games this morning... I'm back up to a 50% win percentage... Last year, by the time I sold the game, I was down to an under 50% win percentage... Hopefully I finish this season up w/ a better win rate!

12. nobunaga209 macrumors 6502a

nobunaga209

^^space - bro add me if you're on PS3: nobunaga209

I'm more of an NCAA guy but often play Madden to keep up with the skill set.

13. AncientEgypt, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

AncientEgypt macrumors newbie

spaceball I agree but

I agree with your post mostly.

You are right and dead on but a lot of your dislikes are with the Online portion of the game itself.

There others problems the game have, but these are Opinions.

Number 1: The Game is not molded or Gel with NCAA properly.
    or NCAA is not molded or Gel with Madden properly.

Ex: The way you Audible in NCAA is different from Madden: Not Cool

Ex: The play Zoom while your playing is closer in NCAA. In which I like better.
    The play Zoom in Madden is to far away.

I like to be apart or feel more apart of the action not further away from it.

Number 2: No Player Progression, well not much if any. And if I want it I
    Must now PAY to have it? Something that was a part of the game
    since the 90's? So I must now pay for GamePlay???????

Number 3: Why is the play clock running after a Kick Off during the first
    Possession ???? in SuperStar Mode

Number 4: Why the clock runs if I'm knocked out of bounds???????????

Number 5: What happened to the more realistic looking combine Tackles
    which drive the man into the ground in both NCAA and Madden.

Number 6: Why is my defender looks like he always falling to the ground
    after another defender makes the Tackle instead looking like he's
    apart of the hit of Madden a few years ago.

Number 7: Why there is a price on everything. If I'm buying any of the
    extras I'm buying now an $69.99, $79.99 game.
    Why not sell it to me with everything at $69.99????

Number 8: In NCAA no progression makes for a very unrealistic 3rd and 4th year teams.
    On offense the Team can barely move the ball down field and on Defense they look
    just flat out stupid. Everyone Stats remain the same, which are beginner level at best in
    year 3 and 4.

I'm sorry in Football most players improve there game play year by year.