Things I miss from my old Treo...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wingnut330, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Wingnut330 macrumors 6502a

There are a couple of cool features that I miss from my old Windows Mobile based Palm Treo. Maybe after I describe them you folks can help me find ways to do similar things on the iPhone.

First, it seems like it takes a lot of steps to place a call on my iPhone. I press the home button, swipe to unlock, click phone, click contacts, click search, type the name, click the name, click the number. That's 8 steps.

On my old Treo, I clicked to wake the phone, clicked to unlock the phone, and immediately started typing the persons name I wanted to call, then select the number. That's 4 steps.

Is there a quicker way?

Second, I really miss the calendar view from my old Treo. When I unlocked my phone all the useful data I wanted was right there for my upcoming meetings.

With the iPhone, I have to click the calendar app. Is there anyway to view / change the home screen to display upcoming appointments?

Aside from that (and a few minor glitches like MMS and Copy/paste) I'm LOVING my new iPhone!

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I use a Treo along with my iPhone, and I feel the same way about some of the things you say.

You can shortcut to the Contacts icon on the home screen, but that's about it. I added some of my more common numbers to my "Favorites" which shortcuts to a certain phone number of a certain person. I find most of the people I call are in my Recents though.

Still use my Treo for MMSing! Enjoy your new iPhone :)

3. Pedromiguel20 macrumors member

For the placing a call problem : You can go in settings->general-->homebutton-> (you choose that when you tap 2 times the homebutton it goes to favorites or phone)

Add ppl to your favorite contacts - easy and fast way to get straight to the point !

Home button -> unlock -> double click home -> tap the person
    4 !!! tadada

4. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah - good tip! Just need to load up my favorites now.

5. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

The Treo was once the best smartphone on the market, IMO. Sadly originality and ingenuity have disappeared from Palm.

6. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

True, but I hate to admit that what I liked about my Treo were the functions Microsoft added. ;)

7. Sphyrna macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing regarding the Treo and its home screen today. It'd be nice to have a "dashboard" home screen on the iPhone to show upcoming appointments and stuff similar to WM. Fortunately I don't have too many meetings so it shouldn't be that big a problem for me, but it's something I thought would be nice.

8. Wingnut330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree 100%. I'm hopeful that an App Store developer might create one.

9. markgamber macrumors 6502

Indeed, they turned Windows Mobile into a really nice system. The 700wx was fast, stable, had tons of really nice and unique features. But when I had to choose between the 800w and iPhone, I went with the iPhone because the 800w was just more of the same. Nothing innovative, nothing to justify the $600 I was going to be paying. I agree that dialing a number on the iPhone, in comparison, is a pain. I wouldn't mind being able to get rid of that stupid slider altogether. At least I'd be rid of one less step. Not that I don't like the iPhone, it's very nice, but it still has a considerable amount of catching up to do to match something like the Treo 700wx.