Things I need to do before selling my iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darkfiber, Jul 22, 2009.

1. darkfiber macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Hello everyone.

I just upgraded to a new 32GB iPhone 3GS and plan on selling my "old" 16GB iPhone 3G to help pay for it. Before putting my 16GB iPhone 3G up on eBay, what do I need to do to my iPhone beforehand? I am currently doing the "Erase all Content and Settings" under the Settings-->General-->Reset but what else do I need to do? Do I need to remove my SIM card? (I am in the USA and use AT&T).

Another question... Would a used 16GB iPhone 3G fetch more money if it were unlocked/jailbroken before hand? Mine is not unlocked or jailbroken.

Any info/tips would be appreciated.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Definitely JB/UL, then remove your SIM card and you should be good to go....:cool::cool::cool:

3. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

1. do the erase all content and settings like you wanted to, but either before or after that personally I think you should do a restore though iTunes.
    2. If you jailbreak it and unlock it after restoring it it will have more value on eBay or craigslist. Obviously, however, you still have to keep in mind the condition of the phone so don't be suprized if its banged up and goes for less than you had expected.
    3. remove the sim card. Whether the buyer is on ATT or on another network he/she will have their own sim card that they will be able to put into the phone.

Hope this helps.... good luck :)

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Basic tip, try to avoid scams, Paypal only, confirmed address, signature required on delivery, no negative feedback buyers etc. You may also contact Paypal after the auction to verify the sale if you have any doubts.

Unlocked iPhones are really sold higher than the locked ones, so if you can jailbreak+unlock it, that would earn you some extra cash.

Just remove the sim, clean your iPhone, take a picture of it with your eBay registered name, make sure to mention in detail the condition of your iPhone.

With regards to pricing, refer to other auctions at eBay right now for unlocked 16GB iPhone 3G. Good luck with your sale.

5. xanadeath macrumors 6502

xanadeath

Right.... you really do want to make sure the buyer knows exactly what they're getting. Be honest about the condition and take a lot of pictures from every angle so they can't complain about anything when they get it.

6. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

After I do the Erase all content will the phone be the way I originally bought it (with just the native apps) or does the restore from iTunes do that?

7. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

I think he meant do a back up before erasing all contents of your iPhone,
    this is done by syncing your iPhone to your iTunes and it creates a back up.
    (so you could transfer the contents of your 3G to your 3GS)

8. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

It will delete everything to the point that it will keep only everything that was originally on it as if it were brand new, but it never hurts to do a restore on iTunes afterwards anyway. Also, when you erase all content, allow about 2-4 hours to do this. That's how long it takes...

9. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

Yup, it mentioned it was going to take 2 hours when I did it. What does doing a restore on iTunes do after erasing all content? I assume to insure that all my data is wiped?

10. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Think of it like this:

"Erasing all content and settings" is similar to holding down on an app and deleting them one by one until they are all taken off.

Restoring your iPhone is similar to doing the hard restart afterwards to make sure everything runs alright once you've deleted all those apps.

11. darkfiber thread starter macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

I see. Is the information wiped off the phone securely as well?