Things I should know before Jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by FatalShot, Nov 25, 2007.

1. FatalShot macrumors newbie

I am getting my Touch for Xmas, and plan on jailbreaking it. My plans currently are:

1) Sync Touch with iTunes
    2) Put music on Touch (from iTunes Library)
    3) Go over to friend's for wifi connection
    4) Open Safari (on Touch)
    5)Go to jailbreakme.com
    6) Click "Install AppSnap"
    7) Finish Jailbreaking process

Is this correct?

I wanted to know if there are things I should (or need to) install from the Installer. After that I want to get some games from Installer. Any suggestions for games. I want to get the NES Emulator but only if downloading roms is easy. Is there a package of roms with the emulator or is there some where i can download roms in INstaller? Any other information or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike :)

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I would do the jailbreak first, before syncing it with your iTunes and downloading music onto it. That way if something bad happens and you have to reset or restore the iPod, you won't duplicate your efforts.

The jailbreak process is very straightforward, it's basically exactly as you described. Remember you need to have firmware 1.1.1 to jailbreak. You can downgrade if your Touch comes with 1.1.2, or upgrade if (as in my case) it comes with 1.1.

Installing the iPhone apps onto it (Mail, Google Maps, etc) is slightly more complex but still very easy. My Touch is far more functional now than it was last night!

3. hecks macrumors regular

Thingsyou should know can be boiled down to just this:

1) How to browse threads in this forum that answer all your questions; or, failing that:

2) How to use the Search function in this forum.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3) You f it up please don't start a thread on how you can get a new one because buy searching you'll find your answer but it's not going to be a pretty one. ;) Good luck.

And hey what ever happened to Christmas presents being a surprise?

5. FatalShot thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow! Way to be a**holes. First off, this an internet forum where you are supposed to go to ask questions (or start discussions). Secondly, there are so many threads around explaining the different ways to jailbreak, I wasn't sure which way was the best.

What's the point of joining a forum only to be told to search for the answer in previous posts or to be told to use a search engine?!

6. hecks macrumors regular

Because that's how forums *work*. Forums are not chat rooms. Threads aren't PM's. People share their experiences under common topics, and these are saved in the forum for others to read. Rule #1 of every forum everywhere is: read first, post only if you don't find your answer. Rule #2 is: if a thread already exists that deals with your issues, post your questions there rather than make a new one. There are good reasons why *all* forums should observe these simple rules. Hang around here for a week or two and you'll see what I mean

But really what do I care at the end of the day. If the mods would actually post a sticky or two, maybe the rest of us could actually find our way to the useful threads now and again.

7. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Had you read the guidelines and FAQ's of this forum, as suggested when you signed up, you would have seen where it is HIGHLY recommended to use the search engine for information. This is sometimes much faster than posting the 548th thread asking 'how do i' and 'what if'.

The guidelines and FAQ's will also point out the insults are one of the quickest ways to get banned from here - at the minimum a time-out.

8. FatalShot thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry. But you gotta understand, its very difficult to find useful info around here (as you stated) when there is so much info. I've searched but I can't figure out what I need to install after I jailbreak. I've seen people suggest thing but I don't know what they are or what they're for.

9. amr8521 macrumors newbie

He's just asking a question. If you think it's annoying, just don't even read the thread. If enough people have asked the question, you don't need to jump on him, just ignore it, and he'll end up searching. And hecks' post was obnoxious and uncalled for.

10. helenkw macrumors newbie

How to downgrade from 1.1.2 to 1.1.1

I downloaded an update to iTunes the other day and it upgraded my Touch to 1.1.2- effectively sending my Touch into restore mode and "unhacking" it. Now I found the 1.1.1 firmware and tried to restore my Touch by option clicking on Restore and pointing to the file. But after the file opens then I get an error message in iTunes saying a fatal error occurred, and the Touch remains un-restored.
    HELP!

thanks,
    Helen

11. Clinton9031 macrumors member

as your getting a new touch you will have to downgrade to 1.1.1, and there is a source of which you can add to installer that gives you about 30 or so roms...maybe less. so add "http://markmon.mine.nu:90/iphone/repo/repo.plist" to your sources and install "Bigboss' NES Roms Pack 1". Next time you open up the NES emulator theres a bunch of games

12. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

My thought would be to try downloading the 1.1.1 update again, try a different URL if you can (I've seen a few different ones floating around) just in case you had download problems or a bad file. Then try it again.

I haven't been in that situation myself, but other people here have definitely been able to downgrade to 1.1.1, so it should work.

13. Mercury7 macrumors 6502

Fatal shot, if you do not feel comfortable doing the code thing and want the iphone apps I highly recommend you look at ijailbreak , it has the iphone apps included and it worked great for me.

14. helenkw macrumors newbie

Got the 1.1.1 firmware installed

Thanks,
    Got the 1.1.1 reinstalled on my ipod Touch.

15. FatalShot thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help everybody. :) I did find the thread about the NES pack that Clinton mentioned (yes i searched for it *gasp*, lol). But thank you for the help anyways. ;) I'm still not sure if there are any things I need to/should install (from the Installer) after the Jailbreak. Can anyone suggest me any [entertaining, helpful, or etc.] programs that I could install after jailbreaking?

Mike :apple:

16. amr8521 macrumors newbie

FatalShot, check out the iPod Touch Dev Team Wiki, they'll walk you through the jailbreak.

If you need to see it in action, check out iPodTouchMaster's videos on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ipodtouchmaster

If you look through his videos, you'll see guides on pretty much all you'll want to do. He also has an in depth video guide on installing iPhone Apps on the iPod Touch.

~amr8521