Things I want to see changed in Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Mar 24, 2009.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

Maximize/Zoom button

Either change the way this button behaves or give it an Apple styled super functionality. Right now it zooms Safari, Finder, toggles between actual size and previous size in Quicktime, makes iTunes into a silly miniplayer, maximizes Mail, iCal, iPhoto, Aperture, Firefox, and majority of third party programs... It's a toss up to whatever the next program is going to do with the zoom button.

Make the dock take up all of the bottom area

Try this on your mac, drag the bottom right corner of any safari (or any iWork programs) window, and try to resize it behind the dock. You'll see that you can't. There is an invisible wall blocking it, which is good. Now try it with the Finder, you'll find that it will hit the dock, but as soon as you drag it past the dock, it will fall off behind it. This happens to way too many programs (iTunes especially) and I find it mind numbingly dumb UX design on Apple's part.

Better spacial optimization for Expose

If you have 4 windows of the same size (ie maximized) and you expose, it doesn't make a 2x2 grid, it makes a 1 x 4 grid. Now have 10 windows maximized, it makes a 1x10 grid that gets incredibly small to see anything. Now have 20 windows and it really becomes meaningless, you have a huge screen with a thin line of windows across the middle.

Better spaces implementation

I can't see whats on other spaces at a glance, that's something I could do in Linux and Unix. An easy fix for that is make mini-thumbnails in place of the white boxes that show up when you switch spaces. Also, instigate a lag time before an App has the ability to distract you from your space. Often times when I launch Adium, it brings me to space 2, to which I switch back to space 1 to keep reading my stuff, only to be switched to space 2 a split second later.

Get rid of the pill

The pill was useful for a few reasons. People didn't have large monitors and OS X didn't have the file manager like Finder yet. If Safari 4 is any indication, Apple is already moving away from this seemingly pointless UI button. Either get rid of it, or replace it with a much more useful UI widget. Although they can leave it alone, it's not a huge issue.

Option to maximize on double click of title

The need for minimizing windows has gone away with the improvement of screen real estate and expose. I can understand why you would minimize a window before the advent of Expose, but with it, there is really no point. You can quickly expose in and out to see all your windows. They should add another function for double clicking the title bar - either full screen the app (ie iWorks style) or zoom the app.

Replace the iTunes miniplayer

With the multitude of third party apps that are vastly superior to the miniplayer, Apple should think of doing something about it. Also, while their at it, formalize the Zoom button because I keep pressing it on iTunes to maximize the player (yes, a full screen iTunes is a lot more useful) and I get the stupid mini player.

Quicktime, DVD Player, every scrubber and full screen scrubber needs to be much longer (width of screen or width of window)

I'm watching Lord of the Rings and it gives me a 200px long scrubber to move through a 3.5 hour movie? I move it by one pixel and it's nearly 5 minutes later... Make it the total width of your screen like iDVD does.

Make the Apple menu more useful

Simply said. Currently it's in charge of Dock, Preferences and shutdown/log out things. The one menu item that needs to go is the "Apple Software" item. It's simply a stupid link to Apple.com/Downloads and doesn't serve anything useful. The fact that Apple has neglected to see this over the past few years is kinda taunting. It's like Microsoft adding a bunch of "download MSN Messenger" web links to their OS.

That's all I can think of right now. Pretty much every annoyance I have with OS X to date. Safe to say I have a lot more for Windows... :D

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Add more apps to it, or are you proposing they leave it like a big long 'empty' dock that you can just stuff onto, in any position?

Totally agree. The same for full screen iTunes and DVD Player.

3. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Nooooooooooooo :D
    This is one of my favourite things in OSX :D

4. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I mean the invisible barrier they have for apps like Safari and iWork suite. Apps like finder fall off the invisible barrier as soon as you mouse moves past the dock. Try it with your own Mac. Resize Safari while you drag your mouse and it'll abide to some invisible barrier (keeping the app above the dock) and try the same with Finder, it'll fall behind the dock.

I wouldn't mind if they made the dock stretch to full width. Of course, they'll have to do something to the graphics. Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

This actually solves the moving Dock issue. The trash can will always be on the far right and Finder always on the far left, never moving around.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

It doesn't even work properly in TextEdit (Wrap to Page on).

No. I'd rather see the invisible wall extended all the way.

Agreed. Same with DVD Player.

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Sorry but what in the world is a UX? It's UI genius. or GUI.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I would like to see more borderless apps. I would love a web browser (Safari 5?), for example, that just displays the page content and have Quicksilver-esque controls to open the address bar or pull down a list of bookmarks.

8. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

UX design is User Interaction Design. It encompasses User Interface and Interaction design. They use X because they call it User eXperience design.

I too would like to see the invisible wall WORKING for all apps. It's not like it's not there. Just some apps don't have it. I'm quite sure they will fix this once they introduce CoreUI (read Arstechnica's Leopard article about it)

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Why on earth would CoreUI change window positioning? CoreUI is for drawing controls...

10. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm guess it can be used to position them too? Why so condescending? Do you know what coreUI is? I was merely speculating.

11. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Wow, Wankey has a lot of good points in my opinion. I hope they address those issues mentioned.

12. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

One thing I wouldn't agree with is getting rid of minimizing. Sometimes, I just want things off the screen.

13. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I do, actually. It's used in Leopard if you want to take a look at it.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Pressing it will make the window as large as it needs to be. But I never, ever use the traffic lights. I use keyboard shortcuts and never maximise. My windows are setup the way I like them, I'll resize them to how I want them but never use the maximise button.

Agreed here - it is quite annoying.

You can use Expose to show Application Windows, not just All Windows. Pretty useful if you are just in one app, and have lots of windows open within that app as well as lots of other apps open. But I tend to hide things (CMD+H) that I'm not using, so I'll never have more than 5-10 windows open.

Can't comment, I don't like or use Spaces. While I can see how it can be useful, I prefer working from one desktop, hiding applications I don't need and then using Expose. Maybe when I work on larger projects, it might be useful.

What's the pill?

I don't see the need to maximise - only applications that really need the full window (i.e. Photoshop) would benefit from it. Having a Safari window that fills the screen is awful.

I use the MiniPlayer all the time! It could be worked on, but it is perfectly fine for what I need it for. Top right corner for when I'm doing work so when I skip songs, I can see what is being played/start a Genius playlist.

Yes.. VLC is very bad for this too.

Hmm, I don't use the Apple menu much.. only for "About This Mac".

Though I do have an annoyance I'd like to add: when you choose "Open With..." for a file, and choose another program via browsing for it, it never stays in the "Open With.." list. An example would be I use The Unarchiver for .rar files etc. UnRarX is useful for things that The Unarchiver can't handle. Yet, I have to find it manually each time. It never stays in the "Open With.." list.

15. RoninXI macrumors regular

Open finder and look at the tip right of the window there is the oval.
    With people having larger and larger screens, this is becoming less and less useful, take a lot of forums for example, if they use set size it is usually ~800px my screen is 1680x1050 I don't want 400px of white space on each side of the content from hitting a button. If you are looking at enough sites that the content will fill a screen then hit the button when you need it full screen and leave it, much more intuitive.
    If you have to do this every time why not use the "apply to all" in the "get info" window, if you do that as you find things it becomes easier.

16. Trinity macrumors regular

Trinity

Just one thing: a simple "Permissions ON/Off" switch in System Preferences for simple people like me that don't have administrators nor staff nor unknown people using my Mac.

17. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

An option to disable the Spaces animation, which frankly is getting quite annoying.

What would be a nice feature (though certainly not necessary) is a visible sign in the application folder which apps are running, I mean a dot or marker placed at the running application icon.
    And add to that the option to quit an app from within the application folder, right clicking the app to quit it.
    In my opinion it adds consistency to the system.
    Or would this be too system heavy?

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Option click on the app you want to go to.

Keep the apps somewhere (I have a folder "uncompress" with different tools),
    drag the file you want onto the app.

Why? There is dock for it. There is command for it.

Command+TAB to go to app
    Command+Q quits the app

Much quicker.

19. nout72 macrumors regular

nout72

Agreed, but I didn't mention it for functionality sake per se, but rather as a way of making the system more consistent and in that way a bit more esthetic.

20. beg_ne macrumors 6502

I don't think they can, we can agree or disagree if the function of specific programs is correct but that is up to each App developer to program this as they feel. In general i'm against having it maximize everything. Sometimes it works, but I really don't ever need Safari, or Address Book, etc. to maximize.

You can make the dock take up the entire area already just slide it until its big enough to go side to side and it will stay there and just adjust the icon size as needed. One thing I don't want the Dock to do is have large gaps like the mockup that was posted here. Looks horrible. Also I wasn't able to figure out your resizing problem. All apps I tried (Finder, Safari, iPhoto, iWork 09, Firefox, XCode, Mail, etc.) worked the same?

Agreed 100%

Adding thumbnails to the overlay when you switch spaces would be a nice addition. If you want an overview now you could just just the keyboard shortcut to show all spaces and you can see all your windows live already though.

The pill seems to be going away slowly. Again this is something that will probably have to be done app by app rather than an OS wide change.

I don't use the double click on title bar any way so it doesn't really matter to me. But again, not interested in having some force Windows-style maximize.

Agreed

More useful in what way? It does what it needs too without too too much crap, I wouldn't want to put much more in there.

Also you'll never get apple to remove the Software link. Its valuable for apple as well as many 3rd party software developers who are listed in the Apple downloads section.

21. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Open up a new Rich Text file in TextEdit. Zoom it to something other than 100%. Press the zoom button.

It doesn't work.

22. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

I admit that the zoom button is growing on me tremendously. I downloaded a program called RightZoom and it literally makes the zoom button a maximize button.

I found that program immediately awkward to use as it maximized everything.

What Apple needs to do is redifine what the zoom button is, and define it more concretely. Many times I have pressed the zoom button expecting one behavior and it doing completely different things. Even after getting used to the paradigm, I find myself expecting one thing and getting another.

As for the dock, I may have misworded that section. What I need is not have the dock fill up the entire bottom area, but have no programs being able to be behind the dock. It works very well with safari and many other programs (the app resizes up to the invisible barrier and no more) but for Finder and iTunes and a few apps, it resizes right behind it.

This is worse with iPhoto, as no invisible barrier exists even on the dock itself (it goes straight through the dock, whereas Finder and iTunes have invisible barriers as long as you hit the dock)...

My solution for Zoom:

For content related apps like iwork, iphoto, safari, firefox etc etc
    1 - Click Zoom once - zooms the app to perfect size
    if user has manually defined a size, goto 2, if not goto 3
    2 - Click Zoom again - zooms the app to user defined size
    3 - Click zoom again - click zoom to maximized screen size
    Click zoom again and it will goto 1

For directory/dictionary related apps like address book, calculator, Finder, dictionary etc etc
    1 - Click Zoom once - zooms app to perfect content size
    2 - If no user defined size, goto 1 else goto 3
    3 - Click zoom again - clicks zoom to user defined size

Also OS X UX designers seriously need to take a look at some of the window management techniques they are using. Way too many times have I opened Finder to have it in the wrong view type or wrong size.

Bump, some more problems I have found in OS X after more usage:

For crying out loud apple, fix the finder.

Shift selecting in icon view acts like cmd selecting... it doesn't select the row or column you want

Icons in Finder aren't optimized to take up the best spacial orientation. Often times I find my Finder window to be much too small, and the icons are packed in 2 columns of 50 rows. Instead when i maximize they should rescale to at least 10 columns of 5 rows.

Resizing the window doesn't help either, the icons stay in 2 columns of 50, only when I set it to auto arrange by name or date does it wrap to the window.

Quicklook doesn't wrap around - very annoying. When you hit the last column of files, it doesn't wrap around to the first column (rows I can understand but come on)

Quicklook doesn't auto size to the image, it autosizes to the last opened image... which is bloody annoying. I can understand the window not changing as i'm moving through files but when you close quicklook and open it again, it screws up.

When you have show details on for desktop icons, much of the info is truncated making it utterly useless. For example, my harddrive is 32... 320gig WTF does that tell me!??!!?!!?!?! Only when i set the font to be like 8, it tells me 23gig free out of 320gig

The bottom of the Finder status bar should show me the size of the selected file. Instead it always shows me the overall free space on my entire harddrive. Pointless if you ask me.

Okay, that's all I have just about Finder. Lots more to come.

23. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Here's what I'd like to see in Snow Leopard:

- Have the Applications folder in the dock by default, just like Documents and Downloads. And set it so that: Display as- Folder, View content as- List. This will provide a decent applications launcher.

24. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

Is it something different then dragging and dropping the application folder onto the dock?

25. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No, it's just already there without the user having to go and do it.