Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
1) Let me use my data however I want.
2) Do everything they can to make sure I can use my phone anywhere in the US
3) Upgrade their entire network to support 3G and LTE. There are areas that still don't even have 3G.
I don't like the fact that I can't have at least a 3G connection everywhere, especially on the road. If they want to compete with Verizon, they should try to make sure their LTE network covers every square inch of land here in the US.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
That is valid for most of the provider around the globe. Also SoftBank in Japan.

They just don't listen and live in there old voice driven world with SMS.

All we need is a reasonable shared data plan and capacity on the network. I really hope Apple jumps in and spend some of their cash and make their own networks

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It's a matter of cost and return. It costs a fortune to cover every square inch of the country (no matter which) and they obviously are going to do it first where they can get the most back from their investment.
Putting towers and equipment where there are hills, mountains, tall buildings or desert is a difficult and expensive proposition. Permits and approvals aren't often easy.
And even if they all had all the money it still takes a long time to do all the -work.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
I really hope Apple jumps in and spend some of their cash and make their own networks

Google basically did this but with fiber optic internet. ISPs everywhere are talking about increased prices, overhead with building networks and potential data caps. Google jumped in, built a network and is now selling bandwidth at $70 for 1000mbps.

They completely showed up all other ISPs in the US. I really hope the appropriate government departments take notice and start calling BS on ISPs and mobile carriers.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Google basically did this but with fiber optic internet. ISPs everywhere are talking about increased prices, overhead with building networks and potential data caps. Google jumped in, built a network and is now selling bandwidth at $70 for 1000mbps.

They completely showed up all other ISPs in the US. I really hope the appropriate government departments take notice and start calling BS on ISPs and mobile carriers.

It is not known whether google will break even from the monthly payments for google fiber. Anyhow, I'm sure the real benefit to Google is to allow them to query and analyze more internet traffic data

"The project by some estimates cost Google "hundreds of millions" since its inception in 2010, says Gillis. The company hasn't said how much it has spent and declined to comment on whether it will break even after month-to-month payers start their payments."

http://news.investors.com/article/621623/201208091635/observers-say-google-fiber-is-benchmark.htm

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011

Google isn't entering the ISP business. Think of Kansas City as a large scale R&D center/beta testing. Google is not going to be the next FIOS.

beamer8912

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2009
It is not known whether google will break even from the monthly payments for google fiber. Anyhow, I'm sure the real benefit to Google is to allow them to query and analyze more internet traffic data

"The project by some estimates cost Google "hundreds of millions" since its inception in 2010, says Gillis. The company hasn't said how much it has spent and declined to comment on whether it will break even after month-to-month payers start their payments."

http://news.investors.com/article/621623/201208091635/observers-say-google-fiber-is-benchmark.htm

That's true, but you also have to consider google went from nothing to one of the fastest networks in the world. The overhead would be significantly less for established ISPs. Basically, Google showed it was not as outrageous as the ISPs are saying.

Is it ahead of its time? Yes. But it was meant to send a message to ISPs and the FCC/Justice Department.

Google isn't entering the ISP business. Think of Kansas City as a large scale R&D center/beta testing. Google is not going to be the next FIOS.

Never said they would. They're just showing it can be done. Google isn't in the business of entering the ISP industry, they're just as fed up as we are with money hungry ISPs.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
What AT&T needs to do is allow us to turn 3G and LTE off so we can get a much better signal.

My phone at my house gets 2 bars of 3G, but if I turn 3G off on my 4 I automatically get 5 bars.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
1) Let me use my data however I want.
2) Do everything they can to make sure I can use my phone anywhere in the US
3) Upgrade their entire network to support 3G and LTE. There are areas that still don't even have 3G.
I don't like the fact that I can't have at least a 3G connection everywhere, especially on the road. If they want to compete with Verizon, they should try to make sure their LTE network covers every square inch of land here in the US.

For number 1 you can get this app from the App Store but be quick before Apple removes it http://9to5mac.com/2012/08/10/another-developer-sneaks-unlimited-free-tethering-into-app-store-app/

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
How about construct a network of towers that would allow people to connect and maintain a call in major metropolitian areas. In Chicago suburbs and I find so so many dead zones just by walking in or around a building.

ibcj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
I just wish they would offer a higher priced iPhone with a 1 year commitment. The 2 year commitment with a shorter product cycle, is a big pain. Or offer a full priced iPhone with a lower plan cost and no commitment.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
It's a matter of cost and return. It costs a fortune to cover every square inch of the country (no matter which) and they obviously are going to do it first where they can get the most back from their investment.
Putting towers and equipment where there are hills, mountains, tall buildings or desert is a difficult and expensive proposition. Permits and approvals aren't often easy.
And even if they all had all the money it still takes a long time to do all the -work.

All true but funny how the DOJ kept signing off on their acquisitions as they bought up smaller cell outfits and merged with Cingular and promised to extend outreach to rural areas. For awhile I believed them. Then I just started wondering why DOJ did, or if they did, or whether it was all just window dressing for dog-eat-dog business as usual.

I think it's a little easier to get a microcell booster thing for free than it used to be, I'll say that much for them.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Just switch to new AT&T shared data plans and u can use ur data anyway u want.

So at least AT&T has solved one of your requests.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
That is valid for most of the provider around the globe. Also SoftBank in Japan.

They just don't listen and live in there old voice driven world with SMS.

All we need is a reasonable shared data plan and capacity on the network. I really hope Apple jumps in and spend some of their cash and make their own networks

:D Apple Inc. Wireless? I'll be the first to sign up!
Imagine the quality of their networks on par with the quality of an iPhone - that would totally rock ! Genius-like customer service, Apple like Wireless stores. Yep.
And maybe, Apple Inc. Wireless would be the exclusive carrier to launch the iphone before other carriers do.
The possibilities are endless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.