Things that Apple should REALLY consider adding to iPhone OS/future models

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SephirothXR, Jun 24, 2009.

1. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

1. Integration of iPhone GPS with law enforcement. Imagine you're in serious trouble or you come across an accident and you either need the police quickly or don't know where you are (you could look at iPhone GPS but you can't always stay on the phone or describe the location perfectly). Apple should work to incorporate GPS with police forces, but it can only be activated by the user, and police can quickly converge on your location when you need it.

2. Ability to configure 3G, Wi-Fi, and battery options from the top of the home screen. It's quite annoying to go to settings everytime to turn off 3G/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth. We should be able to touch the 3G icon and there should be a small drop down menu with different options for Wi-Fi, 3G, and Edge. Then for battery, when you click it, you should be able to put the phone in a power saving mode and turn off things like Location Services, Bluetooth, etc.

3. This has been mentioned across many websites already, but MobileMe should allow more flexibility with the FindMyiPhone feature. First, you can't turn it off without a passcode on a phone, and it should give a real time DOT, not a big circle that must be constantly refreshed, and then law enforcement can track it from there (you might say this is unnecessary but who wants to deal with what could be an gang member for instance?). I also think that Apple should allow anyone to use the service for a day for a one time fee of $10 a day because a lot of people might actually need it and wouldn't pay $100 to find the phone because they'll just buy a new iPhone, which I guess would make Apple more money but I don't think Apple should look at it that way.

4. Custom backgrounds for the home screen and the ability to control landscape on the home screen as well as how many apps you can have per page.

What do you guys think? Should Apple definitely focus on these features for future iPhone OS versions and/or future iPhone models?

2. eezing macrumors 6502

eezing

Jailbreaking and installing SB Settings and Winterboard will give you #2 and 4.

3. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

apple recently filed a patent, that would detect an emergency call (like 911 in the US) and it would bring up a menu in the call that would include stuff like send coordinates or whatever

4. SephirothXR thread starter macrumors 6502

What are SB Settings? I knew that Jailbreak allowed for the background but I don't see why Apple wouldn't do it if they know about all these jailbreak features. I know that phones can triangulate on your location anyways if police want to find you in a general area but honestly I think almost everyone will be buying smartphones in the long run and what better option than to put a feature in all of them that preserves safety.

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wasn't there a rumor that there were different color backgrounds (Like red/green/blue) for the homescreen?

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

[​IMG]

SBS Settings ^ slide your hand across the top of the screen and this box appears, letting you toggle various settings on and off.

Just an FYI, running backgrounds and themes on the iPhone makes it laggy as hell. I'm guessing that's not why Apple don't implement it, I'd think it's more something to do with how nice and clean the current home page looks. Black background, pretty apps. I stuck a few backgrounds on mine once and thought it looked rubbish.

I want :
    - The option to reply and send sms without opening the sms app
    - An editable autocorrect list.