Things That Can Mess Up My Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LucasBoy, Jul 7, 2009.

1. LucasBoy macrumors member

hey people, i bought my mac not long ago and i downloaded this app called iAlertU. its an app that alerts your if people are trying to steal your mac and stuff. so i made a password and put the alarm active. but then i forgot my password so i tried a few things but i didn't seem to unlock. in the end i had to hold the power button on my MBP to shut off the computer. people are telling me that is a bad way to shut off the computer so i'm wondering does it mess up my mac in anyway? for example it causes slower performance or anything?
    any answers would be appreciated. :apple:

2. midgetsanchez macrumors regular

No, of course not. Hitting the power switch will cause you to lose any data in open programs though (ex. if you have a word document open, and didn't save). Other than that it's perfectly fine. Generally it's not a good idea to shut off power to a hard drive (especially when it's in the middle of writing something), so don't do it unless necessary.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

No, a forced shut down does not mess up your Mac.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's not the devil. Things that could actually screw up your Mac would be things like thebad.ape.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

It's really no different than holding down the power button on a PC. Your Mac's fine.

6. LucasBoy thread starter macrumors member

oh okay thank you. that question have been on my mind since like last week