Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
GA
Apple exec promises more depth at this year's WWDC
by Jim Dalrymple, jdalrymple@maccentral.com
May 1, 2002 2:35 pm ET

"Apple announced in mid-April that the focus of this year's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) would be the next version of Mac OS X, code-named Jaguar. Apple will be giving developers a closer look at Jaguar throughout the week and talking to them about the changes the update will bring to the OS.

"One of the big things for us this year is the depth we will be going into on not only what is, but what will be with OS X, Richard Kerris, director of developer technologies at Apple, told MacCentral. "We will be showing Jaguar at the keynote and we'll be talking about a lot of the things that will be going on with that update."

WWDC will see a focus on technologies at the heart of Mac OS X like OpenGL and Quartz. Kerris said that Apple is working to do things with Mac OS X that have never been done before.

"We're going to be doing some things at the core level of the operating system that have never been done on any platform before," Kerris said. "Allowing this kind of capability to be used by all sorts of applications, we can only imagine what's going to happen over the next year as developers start to tap into the power of the things that they'll see in this update."

QUESTION: what types of things might they be talking about????

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Let me see if I can get th right expression:

(Huge, wicked, feral, predatory grin)

We've seen 1 thing already that no OS has done before: 3D OS X.

Gee, that'd be nice. Lets see Bill and his sycophants pull THAT one off.......:D

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
What if the Jaguar version of OSX takes advantage of the 4 pipelines that the Power4 chip from IBM offers? Or something powerful from a G5 offering from Moto?

I have absolutely nothing to back that up, but new G4's in the Imac and emac, and the new powerbook released on a monday with a faster G4... everyone clamoring for a new chip for the pro line...

Sure smells like something big for MWNY, and darnit, why not.

stoid

macrumors 601
Apple's really cooking something big, and their hyping it way up, queitly. They don't want to be loud and have people upset when they don't live up to their outrageous expectations. Apple's in a good position right now, they are starting a revolution again just like 1984.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: "Things that have never been done before"

Originally posted by sjs
"One of the big things for us this year is the depth we will be going into on not only what is, but what will be with OS X"

"We're going to be doing some things at the core level of the operating system that have never been done on any platform before"

Ok, now it makes sense on not focusing on the hardware for WWDC, that's why we saw the new stuff this week.

However, all this "What will be..." stuff is going to be a lot of hype. Sure it will be great, get us all excited but its nothing we're going to see anytime soon. Why does Apple feel the need to taunt or tease us with this sort of eye-candy? Why worry about things that have never been done before and worry about getting all the things we take for granted done first!

Starting with a little more speed there, Mr. Jobs!

sorry, got to rant. I'm tired of promises, I just want results.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
I would hope...

Originally posted by mcrain
What if the Jaguar version of OSX takes advantage of the 4 pipelines that the Power4 chip from IBM offers? Or something powerful from a G5 offering from Moto?

I have absolutely nothing to back that up, but new G4's in the Imac and emac, and the new powerbook released on a monday with a faster G4... everyone clamoring for a new chip for the pro line...

Sure smells like something big for MWNY, and darnit, why not.

...that the Power4 offers a bit better than 4 pipelines, considering the G4 has 7 if I remember correctly (possibly 8. It's either 2 integer, 1 FP, 4 Altivec, or 3 integer, 1 FP, 4 Altivec). I think you're confusing processor cores with pipelines, although I suppose the Power4 might have 4 pipelines because it doesn't have Altivec (2 int, 2 FP, or something like that). The Power4 has multiple processor cores (2, I think) on one piece of silicon. OSX would already take full advantage of that (it's just a better, faster way of doing dual processors). If Apple puts Power4s in PowerMacs I'll be amazed. Power4's designed to compete against Itanium, and UltraSparc, not against Pentium and Athlon (read that as: expensive.

sjs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
GA
We're going to be doing some things at the core level of the operating system that ha

I was hoping some of you pros would have some thoughts about specific, actual stuff Apple may be releasing in the next OSX.

As they said: things that have never been done before.

What stuff?? Tell me! Start a rumor! Discuss.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
I was drewling, while I was reading through the article.
(This seems to be promising)
let's say, that they tweaked X so good it even runs faster on any mac than ooh, let's say OS9?!?
Whatever it will be I feel superb :p
that's the kind of news every mac fanatic has been waiting for!!!

What tension, pfff, can't wait to see this. isn't there any way I can follow this on QT streaming or so? :D

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Maybe they will make the OS so fast that you can run it on 601's and watch a fullscreen 3ivx movie without any lag

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
They said...

...it's at the core level of the OS. That means that it's not anything to do with the UI. It could be the kernel. It could be the graphics APIs (Quartz), although that's not really the core. It could be networking, although again, that's not part of the core. One interesting thought is that the filesystem engineer they hired from Be has been doing his work. HFS++ anyone? hmmm....what else hasn't been done before that relates to the kernel/other close to the core parts? I'm going to be looking forward to this...OSX is showing its potential. :)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Apple is working to do things with Mac OS X that have never been done before.

Well of course there's alot of things with OSX that have never been done before............... :rolleyes:

I would like more speed please.......... :D Although judging by what they're saying, it's more radical than that.... :D

But as dukestreet said, we need results......... not hype..... :rolleyes: ;) :D

Stene

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2002
Luleå, Sweden
Thoughts on the new thingies...

I think that the new thing is ability of the OS to use the computing power of a powerful display card for its own purposes. Why not speeding up compressions, video editing and eventual Windows emulations using the massive power in the graphics accelerators?

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I hope the release something use full in place of bouncing icons.

I'm not very crazy about keynotes any more.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Re: Thoughts on the new thingies...

Originally posted by Stene
I think that the new thing is ability of the OS to use the computing power of a powerful display card for its own purposes. Why not speeding up compressions, video editing and eventual Windows emulations using the massive power in the graphics accelerators?

You mean like integrating Quartz into lower levels of the OS? Splitting out the UI so it no longer goes through the CPU?:D :D :D :D :eek: :cool: :p

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Re: Re: Thoughts on the new thingies...

Originally posted by mischief

You mean like integrating Quartz into lower levels of the OS? Splitting out the UI so it no longer goes through the CPU?:D :D :D :D :eek: :cool: :p

Yeah! OpenGL GUI so it gets dumped on the graphics card instead of wasting CPU time. Keep it looking just the same, but do it in OpenGL instead of Quartz.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
remember that this is a DEVELOPER'S conference, so these "exciting things" may indeed mean Nothing Real to us. (;)) i would speculate that the "core" level things being worked on have to do with the filesystem structure, judging by recent hires and that Apple MUST know that HFS+ needs to go.bad news tho. if there IS a filesystem update involved with all the other things being speculated upon, then we can expect to pay for this update.

oh and maybe we can pray for a brushed metal theme like that seen in DVDSP 1.5.

boobers

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2002
reformat

we will all have to reformat our drives too..but i like the idea of BeFS..
never used Be but i heard its file system is the best around
i suppose also OS9 will become more invisible..yet the old apps would still work in an unseen classic mode..just a guess
boobers

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on the new thingies...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man
Yeah! OpenGL GUI so it gets dumped on the graphics card instead of wasting CPU time. Keep it looking just the same, but do it in OpenGL instead of Quartz.

Think of the speed increase this would give us! If it can be done it would be a first. Very cool and forward thinking. I like it.:D

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
being that OS X (unix) creates many more partitions than any end-user would probably be comfortable with, apple could probably figure out a nice way to upgrade the filesystem without a manual format or loss of data.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on the new thingies...

Originally posted by Catfish_Man

you wouldnt necessarily need to use the video card instead of Quartz. you would only have to tell quartz to use the video card. i say only but this is definitely work as far as stability and GPU support goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.