Things that I would like/not like for future MBP/iBooks.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by xoggyux, Jan 12, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I have always been amazed how Apple leads the way taking out and putting new technologies on their products, like they stopped putting floppy disks drives on their computers way before other "PC" manufacturers followed their steps, or when they equipped their notebooks standard with wireless n when people did not even know what that was (regular people anyways.)

The thing is there are a couple of things that i would like Apple to try loosen off their future products here are some:
    Optic drive: Lets face it, DVD is already obsolete, Blue-Ray could kick in but still, for portability flash memory is the way to go. The chunky optic drive takes in a lot of space and weight, which could be used to put extra battery, a second hard-drive, etc. Off-course if the optic drive is shaved off the system then at least they should include a card reader (not one of those 10000 in 1 but a 1 card thing, e.g. SD card reader, has nice performance and is small enough.) Some people could say that instead of dropping Optic drive they should just go for a Blue-Ray drive, but i still think its pointless, besides all the space and noise they take/make, since the disk is spinning at high speeds its not very wise to use them while the laptop is moving (even if its slightly like the car/train/airplane/your lap moves.) So it would be good if to get rid of them (inside the laptop, but maybe they could offer an external one, and even a blue ray version but external, so you can have in your desktop set up, anyway someone that pays $1800+ for a laptop wouldn't mind paying another $60-80 *thats about what apple charges for the external DVD drive for the Air, still can be found cheaper online, even for $30* for the external drive if it means the laptop's battery will be extended, or more capacity, etc.)

I would like to see in the "Mac Book Pro" (don't think that the iBook could handle it, nor it needs it) dual monitor support (not the laptop's monitor + 1 external, but more like 2 externals and thats it.) Why is that? well dual monitor have become increasedly popular these days, but the thing is that to get the most out of it, you would want to go for 19"-24" monitors, while the laptop's built in is 15.4" or 17" so when you put them side by side they don't go quite perfect, also they usually have slightly different resolutions (though Mac OS X does a great job dealing with it, I still believe that having two identical monitors would be much better.

Last thing, I haven't seen the last generation Mac Book Pro or iBook or if they changed it already. The thing is, that the light sensors of the Mac Book Pro (previous Gen, Aug 2008 more or less) was somewhere between the speakers and the keyboard, which means that when you write sometimes you make shadows and the light comes on and the screen brightness lowers, and that might happen repeatedly and is rather annoying after a while, I think they should change the sensor location (for instance, put them near the web cam, that area is almost sure to give an accurate reading of the light intensity) or just put a delay in the OS or something so if the light changes several times during short periods of times, the system stop changing the light intensity for a while.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

2. okatidubi macrumors regular

Don't forget that you also use the optical drives for installing softwares, not just playing movies.

3. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats the thing, today most of the software can be seamlessly downloaded from the web (in fact 9 out of 10 programs that i install comes from internet, and 9 out of 10 of the ones that i do install from CD/DVD(s) wont work properly or will keep annoying me until I let it update itself from internet.)
    Also my idea was to take them off the laptops but give the option to buy it as an external drive, the only disadvantage is that if you do need to read a DVD or CD u going to carry the optical drive with you, but big deal now a day they can do them so small and slim that you could fit it almost anywhere :D.

4. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

well the optical drive issue is already addressed in the macbook air.

And the multiple monitor has started to be addressed in the new air, pro, and regular silver macbook. They all have displayport technology, when the proper adapter to convert apple's mini version of displayport to the full size standard version, then all of those notebooks will have dual monitor support.

Displayport allows daisy chaining of screens, requiring only 1 plug in the computer.
    The tech is all there in the new mac laptops for multi screens, it's just a matter of the proper adapters and monitors to come out.

5. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'd personally love the option to go for an external optical (I don't even use it to play movies, those are all QT format for me), and then fill the space with a super fast SSD, to be accompanied by a large HD. Say a 256GB SSD, 500GB HD. That'd be really cool. The amount of times I use an optical (burning disks, importing video/audio) I have absolutely no problems connecting a drive.

And of course I'd love the 8GB RAM limit on my 15" MBP. ;)

6. windels macrumors regular

windels

I would fit two solidstates in there and put them in raid 0. i believe it was something "not done" because of the risk of data loss, but without the moving parts with two solid states, i think it could be a real improvement in speed.

7. polaris20 macrumors 68020

It'd definitely be fast, but for me not worth the risk of data loss.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

I wanted to say "display connections that are standard" but since the mini-DisplayPort has now become part of the Displayport specification it's probably only a matter of time more manufacturers start adopting it and more importantly more manufacturers start making adapters for it. Or better yet, manufacturers should start making monitors with Displayport connectors and adapters for DVI on that end instead.

I don't see the optical drive going away until everything can be downloaded thru the 'net, which means quite a few years because many countries still suck when it comes to net connections. So BluRay is the obvious replacement. Honestly I wouldn't mind an external optical drive either. I rarely use the one in my desktop PC.

I'd like to see better display panels. 8-bit MVA, PVA or IPS panels instead of the 6-bit TN panels. The MBP is hardly "pro" considering it can't even display the whole gamut of colors. I suppose this is more down to display manufacturers, at least LG doesn't seem to make anything but TN panels for notebooks. The screen resolutions should also go up a notch, 1440x900 for the 13" Macbook and 1680x1050 for the 15".

I'd also like to see a small MBP. 12 or 13 inch screen with all the bells and whistles of the bigger 15".

9. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Can't you get two identical monitors by using the displayport to vga adapter, plugging that into a vga splitter, then hooking to two monitors? I'm sure it'd work since five year old integrated graphics in PC desktops can do that.

Of course you'd have to buy the vga splitter, but like you said, what's another $60-$80?

As for the optical drive, I doubt it. Even while the Macbook Air has a separate drive, Apple still developed Remote Disc.

Of course it's annoying for games, since you'd take like an hour to install the game, then it'd take like two hours to download updates, but for software that doesn't update as often, it's annoying.

Imagine having to download Final Cut Studio 2...50+GB...

Not until T3 becomes standard in homes.

10. MacFever macrumors regular

MacFever

- I hope they are the first to bring out the Nehalems in notebooks.

- get rid of the silver bezel on the "anti-glare" option and keep them all the same bezel colour "black" like the glossy 17"

- usb 3.0

- better cooling.

11. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

I think it's pretty awesome that the iBook is coming back. This is, like, the best day, ever.

12. rukus macrumors member

optical disk is still necessary for most people.
    a fresh install of an OS still requires a disc, most installations are via disk. many people use their laptops to watch dvds, burn dvds, programs, torrentsm whatever. we wont be seeing a widespread abandon of optical discs any time soon.
    I do think it would be cool to have a swappable optical/hard disk.
    my old acer ferrari had a removeableoptical drive and acer offered an alternative battery or hard disc for it. They were way too expensive to be practical though.

13. kamo macrumors member

I want a touch screen. Seriously. Apple is so far behind on that. HP has been pushing touch screen laptops for years now.

I wish Apple would've added that to the unibody macbooks instead of the no button trackpad gimmick. Although finally you can set it up to do right click.

And please get rid of the shared menu bar. It's so 1990s. People use more than one application now.

14. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

It IS next to the webcam, as of Oct 08

15. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

- Apple first out with Mobile Nehalems? Ain't gonna happen unless Intel goes out of their way to give Apple the first batch. It's just not Apple style. I mean Dell, HP, and the PC guys have new processors in their lineup for sale within hours of release.

- I'd actually like to see the number of people who want and plan on buying the matte screen that want a glossy glass or cheap plastic trim around their matte display before making a move like that. I think most people whining about the aluminum trim are the glossy fans who wouldn't buy the matte version anyway.

-USB3? Well duh... who doesn't want 5Gb/s transfer speeds? If only USB3 could daisy chain the way Firewire can, it'd be damn near perfect.

16. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

well, it seams i am a bit "out dated" and that mac already answered my wishes even before i thought them.
    anyway back to the optical drive, it seams most people are so/so about that, just think on this: I can only think on a few things they useful for: watch DVD movies
    (1.- If you spent your money on a MB or MBP which are usually twice the money of a regular PC with similar specs, then probably you will have a nice tv set to watch them, or you can afford a $70-90 external drive to use it when watching the movie,
    2.- installing software, yes well.... you install the software and chances are, that as soon as you installed it, it will ask you to update from internet and you find out the update is almost as large as the original installation -250mb+- so whats the point? get it directly from the net, either case if you are desperately needing to install the software and cant wait to download it, then again, grab the external drive and install the software)
    3.- backing up your data: DVDs (at least mines, dont know if its because i buy cheap ones) get screwed up very easily, besides these days it can be cheaper to back your data to external hardrives (if you go for 1TB+ hardrives, you get 10GB per dollar more or less, thats roughly half what a DVD offers you (DVD offers about 22GB per dollar if you buy bundles, and then you have to buy them wallets to protect them which lowers the effective GB/$) however you can rarely fill every single MB of any DVD you write (usually i leave 100-500mb sometimes more) due i cannot find something to fill that gap, therefore the effective GB/$ decreases, in the other hand, HDD occupies less space (1TB in DVDs are 200+ DVDs) and you got all your info in a single place, also is MUCH faster.

Anyway, external drive even gives you more flexibility, for instance you REALLY WANT VERY BADLY blue ray disk? no problem instead of buying the external DVD burner, get a BD reader or burner.

For the sake of interchanging information? Use USB drives or SD cards, basically there is no computer that you could be interested in interchanging information with, that doesn't have at least one USB 1.1 available.

Besides what some people doesn't realize is that, the optic drives takes probably about a sixth of the main body (excluding display,) now imagine what can apple do with an extra sixth? that would mean probably about 2 extra hours if they expand the battery, that could mean that the laptop could hold a second hardrive. perhaps 1 SDD for system+apps and 1 HDD for data? or 2 SDDs? 2SDDs in raid? O.O!!!!!!!! or just decreasing the size and weight if they feel too lazzy to experiment...... Now what you would like more, a laptop that you can install a software from a CD drive but you rarely do.... or a laptop that when you go out, its battery last 6-8 hours? or a laptop that can hold 500gb-1TB info?