Things that turned out not to be things

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profmatt, Sep 21, 2016.

1. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

I've noticed that people on these forums seem to worry a lot about new Apple products.

I thought about this when I was checking the time on my Apple Watch earlier on today and I remembered that there was a lot of stress and drama about the fact that the screen is not always on. I never notice this because the AW just works perfectly in this regard. If there's a delay when I raise my wrist to look at it, I'm not even aware of it.

Similarly there was all kinds of concern about battery life. It's not something that's ever caused a problem for me. I never even know how much I've got left. It always lasts a day, and I was never quite clear why people needed it to last longer: it's so easy to charge, and who wears their watch 24/7?

I suspect it will be the same with all the fuss about the new iPhone not having a headphone jack. I can't be the only one that just doesn't care about this at all. And I can't wait for the new AirPods to go on sale -- I'm not remotely worried about them falling out or losing them. My regular EarPods have never fallen out, and they've got heavy wires dangling from them.

Apple has made mistakes -- oh yes -- but it's not entirely stupid. It mostly does things pretty well.

2. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Agree with you ... 90%. The battery thing is actually a thing for many "Series 0" users because, where we used to have 20-40% remaining at the end of a normal day, now we're pushing 10% after 12-15 hours. Add any more than normal use and you're out of power before the end of the day and on Reserve Mode. That'd be fine if we could actually use the toggles in Background App Refresh to turn off the auto refreshing of certain apps. But that seems to be broken.

I'm completely with you on the rest, though!

3. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Series 0?

I'm on 68% right now and it's 10 o'clock in the evening. But then I don't really ask much of my watch. I'm not a big app user. Or an app user at all, really.

4. gwhizkids macrumors 68020

gwhizkids

Its 5pm here and I'm already down to 54%. I should be ok today, but I was not ok yesterday after travels into New York. When I'm in a city, I tend to rely on it much more for handsfree things, like texting,directions and transit info. After 13 hours yesterday, I was at 11%. Yes, that's still 11%, but if I had added a workout or anything, it would have run down. And that was not the case before OS3.

5. leenak macrumors 68020

I have a Gen 1 (aka Series 0) AW and yeah the battery issue is a thing for it. I stopped using it for quite a few months due to it. It is the primary reason I went with a 42mm vs 38mm in hopes that the battery will be slightly better.

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yeah, the battery life issues seem to be sporadic. I have not disabled anything on my AWS0 (all the background refresh on, etc..). My watch has been off-charger for 10 hours, and I am at 64% battery. Mine was horrible for the first few days, though.

7. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm still not clear about this whole Series 0 thing. Surely there's just 1 and 2? Have I missed something?

8. leenak macrumors 68020

Series 0 (aka Gen 1) is what people are referring to the watch that was released last year.

9. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Folks are calling the original AW the Series 0, since Apple left the name open relative to the current naming.

10. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

I'm still not getting it. Surely there have only been 2. Unless they're calling the new one Series 1.

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

"Series 0" (Early 2015): original Apple Watch
    Series 1 (Late 2016): same as the first gen Apple Watch, with a new dual core S1P chip
    Series 2 (Late 2016): GPS, waterproofing, brighter screen, dual core S2 chip, thicker

12. profmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

profmatt

Oh! I have missed something! Thank you!

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

14. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

You missed a thing.

15. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

pwaaaahhahahaha ;)

I was concerned about battery life, too, but held off on purchasing until I could see what real-world users were getting. Turns out to be fine.

I was also worried about water resistance, partly because iPhones weren't water resistant (yet) and partly because the Series Beta 0.0.6.x (aka 6th gen iPod Nano) wasn't waterproof for squat. But, Apple learned what to do, and if Tim Cook himself said he washes his AW in the shower, it should be fine for me.

Other than that, the "things" that most bloggers and pundits complained about were either addressed with watchOS 2 -- and then 3 -- or they were pie-in-the-sky wishes that simply can't be achieved with current technology.

16. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Series 1 is my first Apple Watch, and the main thing that isn't a thing is that it doesn't do anything.

I find it so useful for all kinds of things.

Fast forward, or time travel, or whatever that thing is called, is great to quickly see what the weather will be like when I leave work by just spinning the crown.

Texts are no longer some mystery that makes my pocket vibrate in meetings. Same with email. It's like the middleman has been cut out.

If that was all the Watch did, it would still be an ok thing, but there are so many other things I'm using it for that are making my life a little better and easier.

So to me, the main thing that wasn't a thing was that the Watch wouldn't be a thing....

17. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My wife has a gen 1 and it has died in her in a day. I realize that doesn't seem to be the norm, and that's great. But her experience was the reason for my concern.

Very rarely the screen won't activate when I look at it. I mean very rarely. I just got a series two and it's happened twice. I'm sure I've looked at it many hundreds of times.

Overall I am very happy with it. Hoping it gives me a good three trouble free years at least.

18. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

So, is the Apple Watch the Seinfeld of wearable technology?