Things that would make me think twice about getting iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prfrma, Jun 2, 2010.

1. prfrma macrumors regular

So,
    Just a few days till we all get to find out or confirm stuff about the new iphone.
    I guess I'm got an open mind. Based on the leaks, i'm likely to get this phone as soon as it comes however there are a number of things that would probably totally turn me off.

So, I've made a list, of all the things that would probably make me consider other options with a ratings next to them that describe how important they are to me. (1 so big deal, 10, omg why apple why??)

Reduction in functionality from the iPhone 3gs in any area really (10)
    Yes, I get it, you pick ascendant technologies, but honestly, the iPhone is fast becoming the least feature complete platform. If I find that I can do less with an iPhone 4, compared to by iPhone 3gs (ie, no digital compass for instance) Then Seeeya. Product cycles are too short, and I can always be tempted back when you regain your sanity.

It's actually made out of (more) plastic (9)
    This is unlikely, but there are plenty of plasticity pieces of **** on the market. I like the iPhone because it feels substantial - and made out of quality materials.

No improved photographic capabilities (9)
    It's likely to have a new camera based on the leaks, however if it doesn't then I might consider a phone that does. Also, I'd be happy with the 3gs camera if it had a flash and better app-to-snap response times. Right now, the delay defeats the entire point of having a highly accessible camera.

No +64gb version (8)
    I can understand why they'd want to do this, but honestly, I only really like carrying one device around. Although the iPhone in this regard is superior to almost every other phone, I really want +64gb of storage, as it would enable me to use it better, as a external hdd.

No improved battery power (5)
    Hoping for incremental gains... To hear that you've fallen flat on this would be pretty disappointing, although understandable if computing power had improved a lot.

No improved RAM(7)
    iPhone os may be less resource hungry than android, and manage memory better. However multi-tasking coming I would like to see improvements to memory and it would also lead on to...

Improved tabbed browsing in safari (7)
    It's a problem with the ipad, lets hope it's fixed in iphone 4 os.

App store fragmentation (5)
    As you see with products for the ipad. It would piss me off having to pay alot more for higher res apps.

No 802.11 N (5)
    Bragging rights really.

No FM radio (1)
    I've found this a useful feature on another phone (on holiday listening to local/streaming music without paying silly roaming charges is quite nice.)

Would like to hear what red lines you guys have!

2. Macpad155 macrumors newbie

I see your point with your post, im a newbie who is trying to gather all the information i can. The other day though i saw a leaked video from overseas with the new iphone cracked open and the construction was based more of off the macbook pro with a metal frame etc. If the video was accurate (found it on google news), it looks like a lot less plastic then before and should have a pretty solid core. Dont quote me but just wanted to add that in there.

It would be nice if it had a better camera, they are getting up to 8 megapixel now so...

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Reduction in functionality from the iPhone 3gs in any area really (10)

Why would Apple REDUCE functionality?

It's actually made out of (more) plastic (9)

We've already seen what it looks like ... it looks more firm, but the materials don't seem to differ drastically.

No improved photographic capabilities (9)

There certainly will be, the camera lens was improved from the 3G to the 3GS, and given many recently released smartphones have higher quality lenses, I'm sure the next iPhone will be improved at least to some degree.

No +64gb version (8)

This may not be feasible in terms of cost, but I do agree with this.

No improved battery power (5)

The battery is larger, thus we can only hope it is improved.

No improved RAM(7)

I believe that the RAM in the prototype was said to have double that of the 3GS/iPad ... either way, paired with a faster CPU, I'm sure it will have more RAM than previous iPhones.

Improved tabbed browsing in safari (7)

There have been a lot of complaints of this, and JB apps to cater to this need, so hopefully Apple realizes this and implements a better system in 4.0.

App store fragmentation (5)

Agreed ... the iPad vs. iPhone App stores are ugly in how they clash/mix right now.

No 802.11 N (5)

Pointless ... maybe when an iPhone can actually process data to the limit of 802.11 G.

No FM radio (1)

Agreed ... there are plenty of radio apps, but given the 3GS has the hardware in it, why Apple never released a radio app is odd to me ... hopefully they were just waiting for 4.0

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Hey whatever works for you and make you happy.
    Wait till its out, try out a demo unit, gather some info on it and make your decision.
    Any particular cellphone is not made for everyones needs.

5. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

Why would Apple REDUCE functionality?
    For the same reason they don't have flash in iphone 4. Like I said, unlikely, but if they did...

We've already seen what it looks like ... it looks more firm, but the materials don't seem to differ drastically.
    We've seen prototypes, whether or not there the real thing is still one thing that could surprise us next week - although i'm not expecting anything different. Like I said, unlikely, but if they did...

This may not be feasible in terms of cost, but I do agree with this.
    I'd Pay more, for higher capacity.

The battery is larger, thus we can only hope it is improved.
    We really have no idea what components will be in the fiished product, nor will we know how the components and new os manage power. A larger battery != improved battery life if the screen or processors use up more power.

I believe that the RAM in the prototype was said to have double that of the 3GS/iPad ... either way, paired with a faster CPU, I'm sure it will have more RAM than previous iPhones.
    I think the ram in the prototype was the same as the 3gs and ipad.

Pointless ... maybe when an iPhone can actually process data to the limit of 802.11 G.
    Given that the ipad can process to, and does have wifi to that standard, I would be dissapointed if the iphone 4 didn't.

Yep, I've followed the leaks, it's just that if any of the above did turn out to be true (contrary to leaked phones or not) then I would be disappointed.

6. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

As far as tabbed browsing goes, you know that Safari isn't the only browser right? Or are you just looking for less reloads?

Sio they would reduce funtionality cause flash sucks?

7. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

As far as tabbed browsing goes, you know that Safari isn't the only browser right? Or are you just looking for less reloads?It would be nice if tab information was saved. And yeah I also use Opera mini.

Sio they would reduce funtionality cause flash sucks?
    Apple ditch technologies they believe to be on the way out earlier than most other companies. If they, for instance, decided that bluetooth or some other feature wasn't really being used by there customers, then they ditch it. Not a big deal if it's IR or some other technology none of the other competitor phones are using, however I don't want to be left looking for something I used to use on my phone that I nolonger have.

8. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

At first i really thought i didnt care about the fm radio but i really hope that its there but i have a feeling thats its not!!

9. hippo206 macrumors 6502

The only things that will stop me are:

They are sold out on opening day (10)

10. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I have to admit, at first... I didn't get the whole FM radio thing... and I still kinda don't. But, for me, video conferencing is important, and a lot of ppl don't get that, so I try not to be too quick to judge. It just seems like with all of the music app's available, it would make having an FM receiver obsolete.

11. azsprty macrumors 6502

Amen on that

12. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

So, they could completely trash the product and you would still buy it?

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

All this and there's not even an official announcement. Wow.

14. prfrma thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, I'm laying down the my expectations. Would be kinda dumb to do that before the announcement wouldn't it?

15. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I personally have some faith in the company. They have not "trashed" a product line that I use yet, so it makes me feel confident enough to say that I will upgrade. Combine that with the fact that we basically already know the exact product being released it only adds to my confidence. Lastly, my 3G has hit the floor about 50 times too many, so... :apple:

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Wow, people really take their toys way too seriously.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

This still doesn't make sense, Flash was never supported by the phone anyway, and I don't believe there's ever been a case of Apple reducing the functionality of their devices in a generation change. If you're thinking of them pulling something like Sony has with the PS3, you're incorrect.

18. hippo206 macrumors 6502

Edit: Nevermind I had wrong info.

19. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm very nervous about this as well. I can understand iPad apps costing more but if devs fragment it further and command higher prices for apps on iPhone 4 than they did for 3GS, I'm gonna be really unhappy. I do not want to have to repurchase apps that I've already bought because my new device will be higher res.

20. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

This is a fairly useless list. We have all seen the prototype and know much of what is coming out. We know it is not plastic, that it has a better camera, etc...

How about:

1. The rate plans are $30+ more per month than some other, good carriers.
    2. If you want to tether the plan is ridiculous - $45 for SHARED 2GB?? No way.
    3. AT&T has poor service in some major places. Good in others but really, really bad in some.
    4. You want a bigger screen. 3.7 or 4.0 would have been nice.
    5. What if they charge more for video conferencing?

Many of us have been watching the iPhone for a while and are deciding now whether to make the switch from Verizon/Sprint or T-Mobile to get it. There are big compromises and most of them are ATT related.

But if you want a big screen, hotspot functionality, flash, non-intrusive notifications, multitasking, etc... the iPhone is a compromise. I have a Palm Pre and love much of it. Hate some of it too (lag and temporary freezes, few apps, small screen). My choice is Evo and stay with Sprint or pay $70 more per month for my wife and I and switch us to ATT for iPhones.

Better apps and UI overall with iPhone but the notifications and poor multitasking are considerations too.

21. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The technologies in the iPhone now aren't the type to get ditched anytime soon because there isn't any replacements for them. If you ditch bluetooth, what replaces it?

We can apply a little logic to try to figure out what may or may not be on the way out. USB replaced ADB, CDs/USB sticks/etc replaced floppies and so on.

What replaces accelerometers or compasses to provide that data? What replaces bluetooth for pairing hands-free kits? There needs to be some sort of migration path for these folks.

Flash was 'ditched' on the iPhone because it was a brand new product. There wasn't the legacy that required a migration path to be in place yet, as developers were already used to creating mobile-friendly websites for WAP phones. HTML5 in Apple's mind is the migration path to getting more of the 'real web' onto the iPhone and iPad from the old WAP world.