Things to check on the iPhone 6S Plus before purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peterpan123, Nov 19, 2015.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hello, I plan to buy an iPhone 6S plus. Before I pay, what should I check besides dead pixel and scratches on the device? In the forum, I read a thread about dark area on the lower left corner of the screen. I cannot find a photo which shows clearly the issue. I also read about a thread on yellow tint. Which version 64GB or 128GB has no issue?

2. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Hey,

First off, relax. Stop looking for defects before you buy as this will only make you paranoid.

Most people post here only when they have issues in the hope that others will share their stories as well and in the process, find some solutions/workarounds.

Expecting Macrumours iphone bugs to be fairly representative is like an alien visiting a hospital and concluding that most humans are sickly/ill creatures ! ;-)

Just enjoy the experience of buying and enjoy your new product.

Cheers !

3. Ternary macrumors regular

The Perfectionist's iPhone Checklist

Display:
    • No dead pixels
    • No screen scratches
    • No yellow tint
    • No backlight bleed
    • No light bleed on corners
    • No dust/hair under display
    Exterior:
    • Scuff free
    • Home button just right (not clicky or mushy)
    • Nothing under the camera lens
    • Not bent
    Internals:
    • TSMC A9 CPU
    • Decent battery
    • Camera quality not distorted
    • Working speakers
    • Working headphone jack

Good luck. ;)

4. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

• No loose lightning port :)

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Well for starters, you can't open the box until you pay for it. Once you pay for it you can inspect it and if you find anything wrong, you can return it and buy a new one. But as Laserducky said, relax and enjoy the device. Don't look for defects, but if one comes up, you have 14 days to get a brand new replacement, or one year to get a replacement from the Genius bar.

6. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the detailed checklist. Is there a self-check program to check the dead pixels and the new touch 3D (tiny touch sensors under the screen)? How do I check the following?
    • No yellow tint
    • No backlight bleed
    • No light bleed on corners
    • No dust/hair under display
    Exterior:
    • Scuff free
    • Nothing under the camera lens
    Internals:
    • TSMC A9 CPU
    • Decent battery
    • Camera quality not distorted

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

First off you will have to PAY BEFORE you open the box. If you got a bad one then you will have to return it and get another.

8. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Don't expect a phone with a perfect screen - you're extremely unlikely to get one.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Wow. I thought I had seen it all on MRF. Silly me.

Look your phone over. Does it look ok to you? If so, it's fine. If not, return it.

10. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have Samsung Note 1, Note 2, Note PRO 12.2 and iPod 2. All with perfect screen. This will be my first time to buy an iPhone. Don't know about the QC of the latest iPhones.

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

"Perfect Screen" is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer a blue tinted screen, some prefer a yellow tinted screen. My screen is perfect as in no dead pixels or dust, but it does have a warmer, yellow tint. Is it bad? Not really, its only noticeable when using right next to my blue tinted iPad Air 2. So in my opinion, is my screen perfect, no, because its not what I like. But it is very common to get a slightly warmer tinted phone.

12. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

QC isn't that great this year but the main 'problem' is iPhone's use LCD screens. LCDs are far from perfect and you'll be extremely lucky if you get one both with a uniform back light and an even colour temperature across the screen.

I've seen 14 iPhone 6s & Pluses and none of them have both. Most people won't notice or care but unfortunately I do.

When people say they have a 'perfect' screen, one of two things is happening:

1. They don't see any defects (great - ignorance is bliss).
    2. Other people that do have issues with their screen take the 'perfect' comment seriously and think their phone is faulty. A never ending phone swap then begins in pursuit of the 'perfect screen'....which just doesn't exist.

Sure, some screens are better than others but they all have at least 1 of 5 quirks.

Please don't let me put you off buying an iPhone, they are great phones and I really enjoy using them.....but the screens just aren't perfect. A quick search on this forum proves that. Some call it OCD but when you see screen issues from simply using the Phone its not OCD. The problem is just there.

13. Older bird macrumors regular

Older bird

Don't be that guy the Apple Store employees hate to see walking thru the door. I've always been satisfied with my iPhone I get on launch days. I guess I've been lucky or just dont care.

14. wakinghour macrumors regular

Scratches and pixel issues aside, you would probably have no problems with your iPhone until you read a list like that.

Anyone who uses f.lux knows that your eyes get adjusted to color temperature which is fine for most cases. And also that less blue light is actually good for you at night.

15. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

I have one bwa ha ha ... or bad eyes ...

Seriously most of the new iPhone inventory will be pretty dang good. A few outliers right?

Things reported here are not typical.

16. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

You'd think right!

I've seen 14 iPhone 6s across 2 Apple Stores, friends phones and some carrier shops. All had at least 1 of the 5 common screen issues. Scale that % and it's not great.

Most people just don't know / care.

17. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

If you think like this you will be returning 50-100 iPhones. :D

18. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Indeed, that's my point. The constant swap in pursuit of the perfect screen is pointless......because it doesn't exist!

19. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

Some have returned six or seven on here.

20. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

You need to stop reading the forum and just go buy and enjoy your iPhone. You have never bought an iPhone before, but know that there are QC problems with it based on a sample of zero??? I've bought about 20 iPhones over the years and never had a defective anything with any of them. Yet you have some people on here that claim to have the finish coming off in less than a week and returned it multiple times with the same problem. I say that's BS, and there is a lot of BS on this forum. The iPhone is one of the highest quality electronic products you can buy. That is why they sell more of them then any other single model of smartphone. You don't need a checklist. Buy it... if you find that it has a defect after then take it back. Apple has the best customer support on the planet, and has stores you can go in and talk to real people, unlike the makers of all the other smartphones.

21. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

And some people are OCD nut jobs. That doesn't mean there is something systemic wrong with iPhones or that they have a big QC problem. I've bought about 20 iPhones over the years and haven't had a problem with any of them. I am not "ignorant" and certainly not "bliss". I work in the tech industry, have a pretty high standard of excellence, and have been into semi-professional photography for years so understand most aspects of displays. There have not been any problems with any of my iPhones other than those caused by mishandling resulting in damage. I do not accept some of the stories people post on here about all the problems they claim to have. Like the silly thread claiming that their iPhone's aluminum is getting etched in less than a week simply from the sweat on their hands in normal use... multiple returns for this! Apple seems to bring out the nut cases as customers, and are way more tolerant with them than I would be. You try to keep returning something to me chasing a unicorn, I'd cut you off pretty quickly. But Apple is pretty tolerant.

22. takeshi74 macrumors 601

If you have to look really hard and refer to a list then you probably don't have problems. Stop worrying. You'll clealrly know if there are issues with your device and can address them when you spot them.

23. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

24. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

Woah easy lionheart, just lightheartedly relaying some info.

25. duction macrumors 6502a

duction

mine has a perfect screen :)