Things to check when buying used computers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by moranej, Jul 2, 2008.

1. moranej macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new here but wanted to ask for some help. I'm going to definitely buy my first mac, and am debating waiting for the new macbooks or buying a used 2.16 ghz MBP. Seller says it's in good condition, gave me serial number and everything checks out, and he has all cds, etc, if I go to meet him, what else should I check for besides the obvious physical signs of wear on the computer? Any input is appreciated as ive never done this before. Oh, and in addition the MBP is from 2007, so its out of its 1 year warranty, and doesn't have apple care, but he says its never had problems. Is this worth it, if so what should I be checking, or should I just wait for the macbooks? (I don't really need the pro, but I'm getting a good deal)

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

how much does he want for it? Applecare is pretty important, especially if you're just buying it from some random person. If you really want to buy it make sure you check the battery cycles.

3. moranej thread starter macrumors newbie

he's asking 700, which seems kinda cheap, but also he might just not know market value, and if he's agreed to meet me, its probably not a scam, but the machine is a year old, and he says hasnt had any problems, and his company got him a new one, so hes selling this one...maybe he didn't pay for it and doesnt know what its worth?

4. Eric. macrumors regular

5. moranej thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah nevermind, its a scam......i guess he was just gonna pull a no show:(

i guess im at apple's mercy now and the waiting game continues for the new MBs

6. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

yeah, 700 sounds like a scam to me. Sorry you got your hopes up.