Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
I need to buy an at&t iPhone5 for my next travel to europe, since it is easier to unlock and can work with all the lte frequencies I need: do you suggest anything? Here are my concerns, since I found a good deal on craiglist:
How can I check if it is stolen or lost?
How to check water damage?
What should I check?
Please don't start saying don't buy from CL... I've bought many Verizon phones
without any problem

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i would suggest meeting at a local at&t store, so they can verify there are no issues with the phone and it wasnt reported stolen. other than that, just use common sense. if the deal seems too good to be true, it usually is. however, if at&t can verify that everything is fine, then go for it.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Definitely meet at either an AT&T store or perhaps the Apple Store. Maybe you can schedule a Genius Bar appointment to have it checked out.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I need to buy an at&t iPhone5 for my next travel to europe, since it is easier to unlock and can work with all the lte frequencies I need: do you suggest anything? Here are my concerns, since I found a good deal on craiglist:
How can I check if it is stolen or lost?
How to check water damage?
What should I check?
Please don't start saying don't buy from CL... I've bought many Verizon phones
without any problem

As far as i know the AT&T iPhone 5 will not work with all LTE frequencies. 800MHz and 2.6GHz frequencies is what 90% of Europe uses and the current IP5 does not support this.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
As far as i know the AT&T iPhone 5 will not work with all LTE frequencies. 800MHz and 2.6GHz frequencies is what 90% of Europe uses and the current IP5 does not support this.

LTE is not at all widespread in europe,and he won't need LTE,3G will be fine for all his purposes while he is travelling there.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you have purchased many Verizon phones, why are you worried about AT&T so much? The buying process would be basically identical.

srsub3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2013
NYC
If you have purchased many Verizon phones, why are you worried about AT&T so much? The buying process would be basically identical.

because with verizon you can go directly to the operator website and check if phone is good or not.... with AT&T as far as I know it's not possible and if you put your sim in a blocked phone, it will be immediately blocked...
However in Italy LTE is available from H3G and it is the same band of AT&T

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
because with verizon you can go directly to the operator website and check if phone is good or not.... with AT&T as far as I know it's not possible and if you put your sim in a blocked phone, it will be immediately blocked...
However in Italy LTE is available from H3G and it is the same band of AT&T

Go in to AT&T, use their live chat, or phone them. I personally don't buy any mobile phone unless the seller is willing to meet at a Verizon or AT&T store. And we have done both.

Fwiw if the phone is unlocked, even if its banned
On AT&T, it will still be usable in Europe. Not that I'm recommending buying such a thing, just saying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.