Things to do before buying an used iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by srsub3, Apr 23, 2013.

1. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

I need to buy an at&t iPhone5 for my next travel to europe, since it is easier to unlock and can work with all the lte frequencies I need: do you suggest anything? Here are my concerns, since I found a good deal on craiglist:
    How can I check if it is stolen or lost?
    How to check water damage?
    What should I check?
    Please don't start saying don't buy from CL... I've bought many Verizon phones
    without any problem

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Bring a working sim and put it in and test it.

3. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i would suggest meeting at a local at&t store, so they can verify there are no issues with the phone and it wasnt reported stolen. other than that, just use common sense. if the deal seems too good to be true, it usually is. however, if at&t can verify that everything is fine, then go for it.

4. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Definitely meet at either an AT&T store or perhaps the Apple Store. Maybe you can schedule a Genius Bar appointment to have it checked out.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Really can't unless u disassemble it.

Whatever float your boat.

6. abz1981 macrumors 65816

As far as i know the AT&T iPhone 5 will not work with all LTE frequencies. 800MHz and 2.6GHz frequencies is what 90% of Europe uses and the current IP5 does not support this.

7. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

LTE is not at all widespread in europe,and he won't need LTE,3G will be fine for all his purposes while he is travelling there.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you have purchased many Verizon phones, why are you worried about AT&T so much? The buying process would be basically identical.

9. srsub3 thread starter macrumors 6502

srsub3

because with verizon you can go directly to the operator website and check if phone is good or not.... with AT&T as far as I know it's not possible and if you put your sim in a blocked phone, it will be immediately blocked...
    However in Italy LTE is available from H3G and it is the same band of AT&T

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Go in to AT&T, use their live chat, or phone them. I personally don't buy any mobile phone unless the seller is willing to meet at a Verizon or AT&T store. And we have done both.

Fwiw if the phone is unlocked, even if its banned
    On AT&T, it will still be usable in Europe. Not that I'm recommending buying such a thing, just saying.