Things to do in Boston?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Jun 27, 2009.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Me and my girlfriend are planning on a 2-day 1-night visit to Boston. And I'm wondering what are things we should do there?

We'll go check out the Harvard campus for sure. Other than that, we're interested in shopping+dining and sightseeing (historical sites, landmark buildings, etc).

Not interested in museums or the like, though, we'll have enough of those in NYC! :)

Thanks in advance!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I know you said you're not really into seeing art-stuff, but you should at least consider stopping by the ICA on our Waterfront. Shepard Fairey has his big exhibition showing. It's an awesome [new/modern] building, and the area is nice.

Be sure to check out the North End (Boston's "Little Italy"), and the historic sites in the immediate "Downtown" area: Faneuil Hall, the Boston Massacre Site, our State House, the Common and Public Gardens. Also noteworthy is the Paul Revere House, and the U.S.S. Constitution (in the Charlestown Navy Yard). Following the Freedom Trail would take you by most of all these sites. We also have the "Harborwalk" that follows, well, the Harbor/Waterfront.

And of course, for shopping, you'll have to stroll down Newbury Street in the Back Bay, but be prepared to pony up the cash! Despite all the high-end boutiques, there are more affordable destinations on the same street, including H&M.

Boston has plenty of great destinations for food. Some of my favorites include Fire and Ice, Victoria's Diner, South Street Diner, Top of the Hub, Beacon Hill Bistro, the original Pizzeria Regina, Rendezvous and Ten Tables. There are couple Tealux's around, and Expresso Royale, or the 1369 Coffeehouse for desserts and coffee.

Also, you could spend hours at Harvard Square alone. One of my favorite places in Cambridge is Central Market, a 24 hour market/food stop. But food aside, there's good shopping and sight-seeing in that general area. The Coop is the MIT bookstore, which you mind as well see if you're there. The Red Line (outbound to Alwife) will get you to Cambridge from Boston proper.

Make sure you get a CharlieCard MBTA pass, as the $2 per subway/trolly/bus ride adds up fast.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

do the freedom trail

pretty cool and see tons of stuff

go see harvard and mit too lol

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Go on a ]duck tour

If the sox are playing that night, try to get tickets. Stubhub, ebay, craigslist, or just buy some from a scalper.

6. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

The Kennedy Library is, as far as I'm concerned, a must see.

7. fotografica macrumors 68040

Duck Tour (may have to get tix in advance depending on day)
    Codzilla http://www.bostonharborcruises.com/codzilla/
    The Freedom Trail http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/
    Take a walk through the North End http://www.northendboston.com/
    Harvard Square is great for strolling around,people watching and lots of neat little shops.
    Sam Adams and Harpoon Brewery tours are also neat
    USS Constitution http://www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org/
    Swan Boats @ the Boston Public Gardens http://www.swanboats.com/

Don't know when you're planning on visiting,but the Tall Ships will be in town from 7/8-7/13 http://www.sailboston.com/

8. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Also, JFK's birthplace in Brookline might interest you, if you enjoy stuff like that.

And, if it's a nice day when you're here, you could take a walk down the Charles River Esplanade, a lovely greenway along the Charles. This is a quasi-extension of Boston's Emerald Necklace, a historic and beautiful chain of parklands and green space designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, America's most well known landscape architect.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

halftime pizza located a across the street from the thing they call "the garden" :p
    Finale restaurant..yummy!
    the aquarium is small and kinda lame IMO.
    def. do a duck tour, you can buy tickets online. I went from the science center, also located down the street is a nice mall.
    the North end for italian food
    Newburry street/prudential center for shopping.

10. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

I'll be in Boston next weekend so I've been reading this post with interest. Unlike the OP, I am into art so if someone wants to add a suggestion on the art side I'd love to hear it.

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Go see the Fairey exhibit alluded to in post #3

12. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Our three main art museums are the ICA, ISGM, and the MFA.

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum, right next to the Museum of Fine Arts, is the site of the largest (in monetary terms) art heist in history, which took place in 1990 and remains unsolved. It's a quaint little place, but has an excellent collection.

The Museum of Fine Arts, currently undergoing a large expansion, has a swell collection of ancient Egyptian pieces, and a large number of American landscape paintings by the big names.

Also, the 2009 B(ONE) Show is showing here at Massachusetts College of Art and Design, and is worth seeing:

13. fotografica macrumors 68040

The Fogg Museum at Harvard is a nice museum..A little on the smaller side, not too overwhelming
    http://www.harvardartmuseum.org/home/

14. maestrocasa macrumors regular

Play chess against one of the masters in Harvard square. It's a humbling experience :)

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Even if you are not a baseball fan...... Fenway Park....

16. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Duck tours for sure.

Check out the Blue Man group at the Charles.

Swan Boats

Museum of Science maybe some of the Art Museums

You can pass up Fenway and the Fenway Tour

Boston Common

Cape Cod Traffic

USS Constitution (old Iron Sides)