things to do in Los Angeles!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, May 27, 2008.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

tomorrow I'm going to spend the day in Los Angeles. I'm wondering what are things I should do or see. I'll be eating breakfast and lunch in the city as well so it'd be great if you guys have any recommendations for places to eat too!

I'm going to exclusively use public transportation so it'd be great if those places are accessible easily via the subway.

Thanks in advance!

2. Vanilla Thunder macrumors member

Subway? Are you visiting from another continent?

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I hope you're joking about the subway.

Go to the Pantry. It's in downtown LA on Figueroa and 9th street I believe. They have all meals, and it's a local landmark for eating.

4. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I've never understood how LA manages to not have a subway system of any sort. I'm from Oakland, CA so we don't have a subway per say but at least we have BART, which is pretty close...
    But LA has busses, and that's it, right? You'd think a city that size would invest in a better public transit system...

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, they have the Metro Rail. Link

They have a trip planner at http://www.metro.net/ which you might find helpful for your travels.

6. altaprod macrumors regular

altaprod

Cpk

If you like pizza you can visit (CPK) California Pizza Kitchen at Hollywood/Highland Metro stop. It's a tourist area but it has a hipster bowling alley which is pretty fun and of course the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Mann's theatre.

You can also take the Metro to Korea Town if you like Korean food. I don't so I can't recommend any restaraunts.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

things to do in Los Angeles!

You could dodge bullets.

They have an entire section of the city for that exercise.

:p

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

L.A. has a Subway. Briggs and Murtaugh lost a man down there.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can go to Universal City via the subway.

Lethal

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

12. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Parts of LA reasonably accessible via the subway/light rail system:

LA MOCA, Disney Hall (downtown)
    Pasadena
    Universal City
    Hollywood and Highland
    LACMA

While not close to the subway, The Farmer's Market at Fairfax and Third with the attached Grove outdoor mall is nice for breakfast, lunch. Not to far away is Melrose for people watching, window shopping and a little farther north is West Hollywood with great dinner restaurants and clubs.

You can also hit Long Beach if you want to take the Blue Line all the way down there. Some nice restaurants down there, but probably not worth the trip if you haven't seen LA before.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It appears to be too late to answer this question, as "tomorrow" has already turned into "today," but it never fails to surprise me when people ask this sort of question without even hinting at the kinds of things they like to do or what part of the city they will be in. The LA area is so huge and varied and the public transit system so spotty -- how can you answer? If you're downtown, you can get to a whole bunch of places fairly easily and quickly on the Red, Blue and Gold lines. But on the West Side? LAX? San Fernando Valley? South Bay? -- forget it, you're either driving or on foot.

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Stop in at the nearest LA Starbucks and pick up the local flavour ;)

Every city, big or small, has it's own coffee shops - ask someone at the checkout line when you stop for groceries where they go for local, organic coffee, or for local, live music.