General Things to do that might save your jailbreak...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by caribsa, Apr 11, 2014.

1. caribsa macrumors regular

I see quite a few threads of newbies losing their jailbreak. This thread is for people to add advice of what you need to do before running into problems. There's no guarantee that you might be able to save your jailbreak but at least you give yourself a decent chance. Sometime, even more experience jailbreakers run into a bad tweak. FolderIcons, I'm calling you out. Even though this tweak says it's compatible with iPhone 5s, all iPads including the Air on IOS 7, it will freeze your device and you have to get into Safe Mode to remove it.

Advice - Be careful of what repo or tweak that you install. Installing a pirate repo can lead into installing a bad version of a popular tweak. For example, the guy that installed the BTC Mouse & Trackpad tweak thinking it was the IOS 7 version from a pirated repo but it was really the IOS 6 version.:rolleyes:

Advice- Install iFile

Advice - Make sure you have OpenSSH install and MobileTerminal (don't forget to change you root password). Write down your device IP Address if you have not set-up an OpenSSH Client (I'm using FileZilla because I run the Sony Reader Boards on phpBB and I'm comfortable with it). There's a thread HERE discussing different OpenSSH Clients with some pros and cons.

Advice - Install afc2add. This one might not be for everyone because a person will be able to access your files by simply connecting the device using a USB cord. But if you cannot SSH into your device, you might be able to access your files using the USB cable.

Advice - Install Ilex Rat App in your device, just in case. I know a lot of people install it when it's needed but sometimes that might be to late. I have the repo and app installed already for just in case.

**Please feel free to add more advices or expand on the ones that I have mentioned**

2. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Question.

If I don't have OpenSHH am I open to vulnerabilities? I was under the impression that if I had OpenSHH installed I'd be open to vulnerabilities.

I'm aware of OpenSHH and everything, I am just not sure on whether I need it regardless. Because if that's the case... Wouldn't that come standard when jailbroken.

It should be required by default from Cydia, IMO. I used to do OpenSHH years back, but just never thought it was something that is required.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No more or less than anyone on a default jailbreak.
    Sure you are…if you install OpenSHH and DO NOT CHANGE the root password!
    If you aren't sure you need it, you don't need it.
    No. That's why it's an option. Just like every tweak in Cydia.
    It's not required and should NOT be required. Some inexperienced jailbreakers have enough problems just with tweaks. Open their device up like this without changing the root password and watch the pandemonium begin. Jailbreaking already has a bad rep among those who swallow Apple's propaganda about it. Handing Apple a silver bullet to cry "Jailbreaking makes your iDevice unsecure!" because inexperienced users have no clue that OpenSSH has been installed by default is not what we all want to happen.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

if you cannot SSH via USB into the device, the afc2add service will not be running either. Most people SSH via wifi but it is possible to SSH via USB too

OpenSSH only leads you open if you install it and do not change both the root and mobile password!

I don't think it should be bundled with the jailbreak for the same reasons as eyoungren. Many beginners would not know to change the password if it was installed by default with the jailbreak. This would lead many devices vulnerable to be SSHed into with just a simple password of "alpine"

5. caribsa thread starter macrumors regular

UpenSSH is simply a mode to remote into device. The default password is alpine. If you have it install you need to change the default password using MobileTerminal.
    To change the password, open MobileTerminal, type su root, then type passwd and it will prompt you to change the password
    Also change the mobile password, type passwd mobile and it will prompt you to change the password (you can use the same password for both).

I SSH into my device all the time to add icons to my theme.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If you're sort of locked out of your device due to a severe problem how the heck will you access iLEX RAT?

7. caribsa thread starter macrumors regular

My friend was able to access his iPad even though it was stuck on boot loop. He had afc2add and openSSH installed and connect the iPad using USB and iFunbox still recognized the iPad even though it was on boot loop. So if you have iLex Rat install, then you can go to Quick Toolbox on iFunBox, then click on SSH Terminal, enter your root password (hopefully, you changed it from alpine), and since the person have iLex Rat already installed - they can now run rat and try to restore without losing the jailbreak.

8. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

^
    Thanks for this! Now knowing, will talked the necessary precautions.