Things to do with a new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nade, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Nade macrumors newbie

OK so I am planning on buying the upcoming Mac Pro, and hopefully it is released soon. I already plan to program, make websites, edit video. Can anyone else recommend some activities that beast can handle?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Surely you have a purpose for buying a computer, or you wouldn't be buying it, right? What other people use a computer for has no bearing on your needs.

3. Hmac macrumors 68020

Odd question. It can handle anything, so the issue is what do you need it to do? Once you answer that, you're good to go.

4. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I guess TextEdit should run pretty smooth on a Mac Pro, but I'm no sure if it can handle much more than that. Maybe Safari, but definitely not more than one or two tabs.

Dude, how can people possibly tell YOU what YOU need a computer for?

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

From what you listed, you dont even need a Macpro.

Hopefully you are hooking it to something bigger than a 19" screen, and more than one.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Uhh I dunno Quantium Physics would be easy to do on a mac pro. Also rocket science apps run pretty smooth...I would stay away from using apps like adium and others that sit in the background, because the MP isn't a very good multitasker. One trick pony, ya know?

7. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With a Mac Pro??? What a pain to carry all that stuff and plug it in! It would hardly look cool, since everyone else would be using notebook computers.

9. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

You do understand sarcasm, don't you?

10. eatbacon macrumors regular

You could use it to heat your house. Or to make your power bill more expensive.

Mac Pros excel at both of those things.

11. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

it's also quite snappy running safari:D

(seriously though, it can prety much handle anything you throw at it)

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

That's exactly why it would look cool. Who wants to be just like everyone else? Think different! (Where have I heard that one before?)

I mean, if this guy can carry around his iMac to different places, why can't someone lug around a Mac Pro?

It looks like this guy took it a step further. It's almost a Mac Pro setup. :)

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

If you need to ask what to do with a Mac Pro, then you don't need one. My guess is that you want to buy one for the geek factor and not because you actually need one.

Get a mid-range iMac along with a laptop and you'll have more toys to play with.

14. Nade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well…Thanks for flaming the **** out of me guys. I thought this was a good community but OK. And the reason I want to get a Mac Pro is b/c the iMac I wanted was 2080 with student discount and 2300 for a Mac Pro is not that much more for the increase in performance and upgradability I’d be getting.

This thread was just meant to ask for some ideas for things to do, not look at everyones sarcasm.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Regardless of the model or pricing or discounts, you should still have a reason for buying a computer. You don't need others to tell you what to use a computer for. If you don't know what you're going to use it for, you don't need one.

16. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

17. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

Rip your DVDs and queue up HandBrake and let her rip. My 2007 MBP took 6 months to rip all of mine (not continuously obviously) but I would rip 4-5 a day using RipIt and then encode overnight.

Also, hit up Boinc and SETI/Folding@home. Might as well use it...

More practically? View some 1080P flash videos on youtube. You'll be wishing you went with the Octocore.

18. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Considering he hasn't bought it yet, he could very well be going dodeca-core :D

19. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

This thread is hilarious! :D

Don't worry OP, it's all in good fun.

20. doctoree macrumors 6502

OP, here are good news: You dont need this expensive, electricity guzzling machine!
    Just buy a nice iMac

21. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you already have a really nice display, otherwise I would imagine you'd appreciate a 27" iMac more?

22. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

The 2300 for the Mac Pro doesn't include a monitor. I'm guessing your 2080 for the imac includes a 27" one. A pretty awesome 27" one.

Get the imac.

23. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Speaking from personal experience, the Mac Pro is overkill. I bought mine a few years ago and RARELY use it's full potential even though I do compositing in After Effects and work occasionally with HD footage. In hindsight, I would have been better off with an iMac and kept the extra money in my savings account. Especially when you consider the additional ram, hard drives, video card, and the ACD that I just had to have to go with it. Then there is pro apps that you want to run on it... but that is a whole other issue.

The argument that a Mac Pro is not the much more money than in iMac doesn't always hold true. If you buy a Mac Pro, you'll wind up buying extra hard drives, ram and other goodies. Then you might also need a screen to go with that Mac Pro... etc. Suddenly you're spending a lot more to have a machine that is probably overkill in most situations. However, if you are editing HD footage, compositing, or creating multi-track recordings (for a living) and use the machine more than 3 times a week to do that, then it "might" be worth it. But for the average pro-sumer, it's way more computer than they need.

24. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

1. although some people also like the flexibility of changing parts themselves, or tailoring the computer to as much or as little as they need

2. although for some the idea of combining your computer and monitor mean that there is twice as much to go wrong in a single unit

3. Some people (myself included) would run a mile from the glassy screens

4. some like the idea of a very long lasting machine

You see, yes the mac pro's speed is a critical part of their make-up, but there are other reasons that people buy them too (hence the constant cries on MR for a headless imac)