Things to know before upgrading?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wailord, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Wailord macrumors 6502

I want a 100% perfect install, without any risk of failure. Right now, SuperDuper!'s making a bootable copy of my HD, but from there, which upgrade option would be the best or quickest (and safest)?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unless you WANT an "out of the box" experience, there's no reason not to simply upgrade.

3. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

I've read somewhere (I forget where) that Upgrade could pose a risk, and I don't feel like reinstalling Tiger + using Migration Assisstant...I could just be being paranoid. :eek:
    Edit: Also, I know that APE causes problems...I Spotlight'd (Spotlit? Spotlote?) Application Enhancer, and removed the last of the files- am I good? Any other programs to watch out for?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There will always be a risk with any option; that's what your backup is for.

But there's really nothing to worry about. If you want the easiest experience, choose upgrade.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Not paranoid, just misinformed. Why would you use Migration Assistant in this situation? Are you moving to another computer? Huh?

Dude, you are making this so much harder than it is. Just put in the 10.5 DVD and double click the installer. Hit 'ok' a few times and hang out til its done.
    It's that easy. Really.

6. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

7. Wailord thread starter macrumors 6502

Tuh-oh...my Mac's SuperDrive seems to be malfunctioning. It won't read any DVDs...I've tried resetting the PRAM, but to no avail.