Things to look for when buying an iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TsuaSai, Jul 28, 2008.

1. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I might be driving 2hrs to an Apple store tomorrow to get my iPhone. I have seen so many threads of things wrong, assuming these things are wrong out of the box. What are things I should look for when the unit is open and out of the box?

Since I live so far away I don't want to get home and find something common that I could have spotted in stores. I have a 12wk old daughter so it won't be easy for me to just pick up and drive back to trade it for a different phone.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Also if anyone reads this from the Dallas area are there still lines at any of the stores?

2. rust.puppet macrumors regular

flush colored back with the chrome, even buttons on the side, sometimes they seem sunk in. dead pixels, negative black screen, light leaks. dust under the screen.

alot of the problems are with the firmware and will change here in the coming weeks.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

4. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

The usual:

- Aesthetical appearance (body issues)
    - Scratching/Scuffing of glass fascia
    - Alignment of glass fascia within body
    - Alignment of chrome bezel compared to plastic backing (Defect - 'light leak')
    - Scratching/Scuffing of moulded plastic backing
    - Air bubbles on moulded plastic backing
    - Speaker audio
    - Check if the camera is functioning
    - Check if GPS is functioning
    - Check if Wifi is functioning (if possible)
    - Check if 3G is functioning (if possible)
    - Stability/Durability of volume/silent ringer buttons
    - Negative areas on the screen (Defect - 'Negative Black')
    - Dead or stuck pixels
    - Unresponsive areas/regions of the screen
    - Home button placement and durability
    - Sleep/wake button placement and durability

Please Note, the following is not a defect -
    The iPhone 3G only has ONE functioning speaker. The other meshed hole at the bottom of the device is the microphone.

R-Fly

5. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all!

Thanks for the soft towel suggestion! I wouldn't have ever thought of that. Looks like I won't probably won't have my Apple gift card till Wed. or so. Which I'll have work the rest of the week so might be the weekend before I get to head that way.

I ended up getting a free iPhone from Leo Laporte during the 24 hours of iphone he did. So I am just assuming the gift card will be apple if its a Visa gift card I might just pick on up at ATT if I catch them at the right time.

Do you guys thinks the ATT people could be good about swapping phones over and over if that is what it took for me to get one I was happy with?

6. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Exchanges happen at Apple, not AT&T. AT&T will send you to the Apple store.

7. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

As stated exchanges are dealt with by the Apple Store, but yes, they will keep on giving you exchanges, providing they are warranted,
    until you receive a satisfactory device which meets your personal standards.

You are paying for at the end of the day, it's not a drop in the ocean, it's alo of money, for a phone,
    which is fine if you have it, but you must make sure your happy with it, before you leave the store.

R-Fly

8. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

I'm supposed to be getting my new 3g iphone today at the att store. If exchanges only happen at the apple store, what do I do if I find something wrong with it at the att store. I ordered it through direct fulfillment, so I guess either i take it and then bring it to the nearest apple store for exchange, or not take it and get back on the df list and wait possibly another 2 weeks. Are those my only two options?

9. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

You had to pay in advance for DF right? Surely there is no way they can make you take it. Buying threw ATT just kinda worries me.

10. TonyMil macrumors member

Yes, you must pay in advance for DF.
    For what it's worth my local AT&T stores are reporting 3 day turn around for white and 13 days for black.

11. AustinIphoner macrumors member

they swipe your card, but it doesnt charge until its shipped. I had a DF order, and went to apple and got an iphone and then just went to ATT and cancelled my DF, so my card was never charged.

12. dix1900 macrumors newbie

I live in the Dallas Metroplex. I have been at the NorthPark Mall at different times of the week and generally that store is very busy. I have not been there in the early AM when they open though so I don't know about that. And there is a roped line outside the store which appears might be iphone related. This line is usually there in the afternoons so I'm not sure what's up with this. Maybe this store gets iphones in later in the day.

As for the stand alone store in the Highlands/Knox area, I couldn't tell you what it does for iphone customers. I've not driven in that area for some time. It isn't all that far from the NorthPark Mall location (relatively speaking for the size of the metroplex).
    But I do know that this is a stand alone store on a street of upscale stores. My point being it's Texas...in July...I would drive by to see what kind of shade and comfort this store is offering to those standing in line.

Good Luck!

13. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Just what I needed to know I might have to wait a while longer till I can go and spend the night and wake up early and get there. I have a 12wk old daughter so standing out in the heat is out of the question.

Do you guys think it would be possible to sale the Apple gift card so I could just order one though ATT? Starting to think trying to buy an iPhone with a baby is going to be tough.

Its for $200 what kinda hit do you think I would have to take?

14. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Go....EARLY

Apple store near me sells out within 1 hour thus people are obviously getting there MUCH earlier