General Things to take note before Jailbreaking with Pangu

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rivest, Nov 5, 2014.

1. rivest macrumors newbie

Please share your tips:

1. Please make sure you have plenty of space before doing a full backup AND RESTORE. I actually ran out of harddisk space DURING RESTORE as I did not know itunes actually deflate files very aggresively from the backup.

2. After JB, it's a good idea to reset your wifi settings and resetup. I had connectivity problems but they went away after I reset them

3. Before upgrading and wiping all your date, take note of your cydia sources and the tweaks you have installed. Chances are you have to set them up again. Openbackup DID NOT WORK.

4. Use your PC to download .ipas then use iFunbox to install them. It is much easier to use a PC to download apps than working with a small screen. (Remember to install latest AppSync for ios8 and reboot first)

Hope it helps!

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Why did so many people do a backup and restore before jail breaking? I just backed up to iCloud before jailbreak and just did it. Took 5 mins. Am I missing something?

3. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

same. no issues. are we doing something wrong?

4. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah would be nice to know. I followed the instructions on the pangu site.

5. rivest thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it acts as an added safety precaution. icloud does not backup everything, whereas a manual itunes backup does.

Also, there are alot people who are not on ios 8 yet (like myself) so to upgrade also means wiping the phone during a Shift-restore ipsw. So we need a full backup to recover all our stuff.

Hope it make sense.

6. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

It is a good idea to backup and restore if you upgraded over the air. Other than that, yea, it is not a requirement.

7. cyber16 macrumors 6502

Does anyone see any real benefit in starting over with a dfu restore if you did the JB just two days ago followed by a restore from backup?
    Again this was done just after cydia made their first update to address the restore from backup installer issue, since then they have made one or two more updates.

I have two ipad3's and I really do not see any issues, but not knowing makes me think while I still have the chance before the signing door closes maybe it would be best starting over.
    thoughts?

btw: I have taken all the cydia update thus far, the only thing I never did was do a second restore from backup thinking if I was to do that, may as well start fresh

8. rivest thread starter macrumors newbie

For us oldschoolers, we have experienced many things, either directly or indirectly, that could go wrong with a jailbreak. That's why we are a little paranoid when it comes to having to a full backup and a pure DFU restore.

I have personally encountered problems when restoring an ipsw using itunes direct and Recovery mode. Thus I always advocate DFU mode.

I guess things may have changed for the better but old habits die hard. :)

9. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

I'm about to jailbreak my iPhone 6 Plus, I take it most the big memory issues have been fixed?