Things to verify on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rising j, Jul 18, 2008.

1. rising j macrumors member

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I can now say I'm an official switcher, thanks to all the great info on here:D

I have been delighted with my 15.4" MBP and have found very little issues with making the switch, and am already missing many of the Mac OS features when I use the PC at work. In any case, I noticed a few quirks with my display, which has prompted this question: Are there any tests utilizing any particular images I should run to check for dead pixels or any other display defects??

Here is what I have noticed so far:

Multi-Touch: Blue Blocks on the screen and frequent image/text overlaps when scrolling using this feature. Is this a common screen refresh issue??

Screen pixels: There seems to be one horizontal line of pixels (about 2 1/2" from the top of the screen) that seems to be misaligned. When a line of text goes through this, part of the word looks staggered. What's a good way to verify this?

Any help would be tremendously appreciated!! TIA

Jared

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

There have been several screen issues talked about with this batch of MacBook Pros it seems. If you go through and do a little searching you'll find several people are having similar issues to what you've described. If you take it to the Apple Store and show them, odds are if you are still within the first 14 days they'll just give you a new one.

3. rising j thread starter macrumors member

I looked at some of the posts and notice that quite a few look really bad with jagged edges and random discoloartion. Mine does not exhibit those signs yet. Does it get worst?

Any idea how Apple would handle the return if my MBP is a custom configured setup? Thanks!

4. rising j thread starter macrumors member

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The screen misalignment and blockiness: Does it happen only in Safari or all applications? Because it is a bug in Safari

6. rising j thread starter macrumors member

Much Appreciated alphaod, you bring up an excellent question. I have only noticed the blockiness and screen pixel misalignment in Safari. However, I have to admit, 80% of the time on MBP has so far has been on Safari...I am going to run MS Office (it's most noticeable when viewing text and images) and see if I can replicate this. would you be able to point me to somewhere I can read up a little more concerning Safari display bugs? I'm not even sure if the terms I am using to describe this correct :(

7. rising j thread starter macrumors member

So I used this neat little program, and I feel a lot better regarding any missing pixels. After staring intensely at my screen for 20 or so minutes, and almost developing a permanent a cross-eye situation :eek:, I did not notice any dead pixels.

I also ran the yellow tint test as well....

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Welcome, switcha! You will find yourself cursing your work computer very quickly. I even do it because we still run Classic (OS 9) apps. Imagine running Windows 3.1 applications on XP and you'll get the drift.

Best thing you can start doing is learning shortcuts. Almost every Mac application has a common set of shortcuts for things like cut, copy, paste, close window, quit. I'd slit my throat if I didn't know some more advanced ones at work.

One thing you'll need to know: a lot of stuff you did just in "My Computer," you'll do in Disk Utility. I speak of disk formatting mainly. I needed to format an external HDD and had a rough time figuring out how. But Disk Utility makes it pretty easy. You've just got to know what kind of file system you need to use for such things.

Well, get ready to start the heavy desire for either an iPod or iPhone (if you don't have one already).

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

The download at that link isn't working for some reason but here's another link that works:
    LCD TEST for DEAD pixels

Old thread but a current issue. Did the test quickly and I don't seem to have any dead or stuck pixels. Would it be obvious if I did? The stuck pixel on my iMac is obvious only when the screen is black or shutting down/starting up but during normal use I can't see it.

Good little freeware program

10. rising j thread starter macrumors member

As an official switcher for 4 months as of now, I am still dazzled by the MBP. I am still uncovering new features and shortcuts that are built in these lil suckers!! Never going back to windows....

:apple::apple::apple: