Things to watch out for when replacing hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DoNoHarm, May 23, 2009.

1. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

Hey everyone, I'm going to be using the ifixit tutorial to replace the hard drive on my mbp classic. I'm going to plop in a 500gb seagate 5400 rpm drive. Have any of you done this repair and had complications or difficult moments?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

a lot of people seem to have trouble with stripping the screws. so just go slow and take it easy with the amount of pressure you put on the screw driver when turning it. also try and keep it as straight as possible.

3. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

a dab of wd40 before removing the screws perhaps? If I moistened a small towel with some wd40 and then pressed over the screw before removal there would not be any contamination to the other parts of the notebook..... Anyone tried this?

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

umm i would say that is a bit overkill hahaha. like i said just go slow and steady.

5. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Like the other suggestions state take it nice and easy especially on those machines...theyre a bit of a handful.

A recommendation I have is get a decent set of tools.
    Some are hard to grip (holding and grip into the screw slot itself).
    Happened to me alot with the classics and a few unibodies doing work on.

I just picked up this toolkit: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/TOOLKIT11/
    Has a nicer grip holding and fitting inside the screws; no wear or anything.

Definitely improved time replacing drives and memory

6. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

If you are stripping the screws, you are using the wrong screwdriver.

Having many bits is a luxury for most people, but if you don't already have, I'd suggest buying a kit with enough bits that you do not have to strip screws, in any situation.

Watch for the sensitive bluetooth board Apple places right by a metal bracket you must put pressure on with a screwdriver. Gotta love Apple design. :)

7. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Thanks for the tip. I'll be upgrading my HD very soon and this tool kit would be perfect for me.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i've never stripped screws personally but with what i have read on these forums other people have had that problem. so it is a real issue that people are having and it's not just using the wrong screw driver. i was just offering some advice cause that is the point of these forums to help people.

9. DoNoHarm thread starter macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

ooooooooh I like the padded interior for the tools. Very snazzy stuff.