Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am considering trying to implement a GTD process into my daily workflow instead of trying to keep everything in my head.

Any thoughts on these two apps from those that use them?

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
I am a heavy user of Omnifocus and love it. I did try the trial of Things, but it just didn't meet my needs. For example, Things doesn't support "start dates" for tasks, and Omnifocus does. That's huge for me--I use start dates all the time and find that it's instrumental in getting everything out of your head that is crucial to a GTD implementation. As an example--say my mom's birthday is 2 months from now and I want to put in a task to mail her bday card. I'll get that task out of my head by entering into OF, but I don't need to see this task all day every day for the next 2 months, so I'll set a start date around 6 weeks in the future, so when the time comes, the task becomes active and I can get it done. Similarly, if I need a report from Bob, but Bob is on vacation for 2 weeks, I can still record the task with a start date 2 weeks ahead, and I don't have to look at a task that I can't do until I can actually do it!

In terms of overall functionality, OF beats Things hands down, but not everyone needs OF. Things does have a nicer UI (OF2 will be released this year with a much improved interface) and may offer enough functionality for you. You should download both trials and check them out.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
none
Thanks for the thoughts. After some oohing and aahing I have decided to go with Things for now. It seems to do what I need it to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.