Things you will always cheap out on?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Apr 6, 2011.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

In contrast to the other thread, what things will you ALWAYS cheap out on?

For me its:

--Appliances (I have a $20 blender [it really is a piece of crap and can't cut ice or even power up enough to spin a blender with ice in it, this pretty much enraged me while trying to make a fruit smoothie the other night] and a $25 toaster oven). I would like stainless steel major appliances though.

--Dishes, every time I'm in some store that's selling teacups for $60 I just think "Who the hell needs a $60 teacup?" and then I think about the dollar store/IKEA plain white dishes I have and think to myself how awesome I am for being smart when it comes to buying dishes and silverware, lol.

--Toilet paper, I used to be a 2-ply guy like any other self-respecting individual, until the wife got me on 1-ply and seriously, 2-ply doesn't compare anymore, you can't get as clean with 2-ply as with 1-ply, this is not noticeable until switching to 1-ply, true story.

--Furniture, but make no mistake, I don't buy cheapo Walmart stuff etc. All of the stuff I buy is very nice and very stylish, but I don't need some $2000 dresser or sofa. I also like my furniture to be relatively compact in that I can't stand the enormous bulky eyesore couches/sofas most people have, so more compact stuff I think tends to be cheaper anyway (think like IKEA sofas). My $80 desk is also OK, certainly don't need a $1000 1-ton carved desk. When furniture is cheap, it's easy to deal with when you move and easily replaced for more modern/updated stuff.

--Household cleaners, generics are fine (except detergent)

--Medication, generics are usually fine

--Bath towels

--Haircuts, whether they are $10 or $50 they all look the same when you have really short hair like I do.

I probably sound like a slob who lives in an unimpressive place, but all of my clothes are quite nice/designer, nice watch, nice manbag, nice shoes, and my apartment is very modern and extremely clean, and well-kept. But for the everyday incidentals, I just don't spend much. Other than those necessary consumable things everyone needs, I tend not to be cheap with most stuff--if something isn't quality, I tend not to buy it.

What do you always cheap out on?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

screen protectors
    paper plates (in lieu of using real plates)
    socks (K-Mart has the best cheapo ones)
    gas (as long as it makes my car go, it's all good)

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

This is the first thing that I thought of.
    Clothes for work is another - I just buy the cheapest I can get away with.
    Supermarket diesel over the brand names any day.

4. elan123 macrumors 6502

brand name diesel? haha