Things your MBP cannot live without!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cinab1mt, May 13, 2010.

1. Cinab1mt macrumors regular

Ill keep it short and simple.

I am a long time MAC user, however I just recently bought my first 15'' i5 MBP and Im wondering what the experts (you guys) use with your MBP that you cannot live without?

For instance, I just bought a Incase Neoprene case for mine, but im wondering what you guys use as well? Anything from cases, to cleaning utensils, hard drives, anything! I figured it would be insightful for myself and others!

So what is it?

2. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I'm a fan of the Tucano Second Skin sleeve. We use them on all our Macbook Pros at home.

I clean my Macbook Pro exterior and screen (we have both glossy and ant-glare) with a solution of warm water and small amount of vinegar and a lint free cloth.

3. shadygrove macrumors regular

Microfiber cloths work wonders for finger prints on the screen.

And now that I have a SSD, I will never go back to HD again. A SSD is an absolute must for anyone that is impatient or just want a computer that boots in less than 20 sec and launches apps immediately.

4. jpyc7 macrumors 6502

I have the Tucano Second Skin also. It's very similar to the Incase Neoprene sleeve, just a little bit cheaper (in cost).

I also have a portable external harddrive that I use for Time Machine, but I don't use the portability. This is a bus-powered (Firewire) Western Digital Scorpio HD that is packaged by the vendor (OWC) into a plastic case with connectors for Firewire and USB2. The actual HD in the case will depend on OWC's supply chain, so you just buy it by the capacity size.

Anyway you should have a backup solution for your computer(s), but there are lots of choices. I could've saved some money if I did not get the small physical form factor.

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

A driver to fix the awful mouse acceleration. Steermouse on my MBP (because of Magic Mouse support) and USB Overdrive on my Hackintosh.

6. shadygrove macrumors regular

I have a 1tb external Firewire 800 drive at work that I backup using time machine. I got SuperDuper but I haven't used it yet. I also carry a Seagate 500gb USB powered external drive that is ultra portable that I keep all my software on or anything I might need on occasion that I don't want to put on my SSD.

This... Magic Mouse track speeds suck. I like the idea of Magic Mouse a lot (I own one), but would really like to see a refresh on hardware and software. I would gladly by another one if it had the same functionality as my trackpad (provided by Apple not a third party).

7. Cinab1mt thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! What else you guys got? I def. am doing the same regarding my backup via Time Capsule

8. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Try BetterTouchTool - it's free and works brilliantly to speed up the mouse and provide more functionality (like Win7-esque screen snapping).

9. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

+1. i think it's better than magicprefs too.