Thining Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by akadmon, Mar 3, 2008.

1. akadmon macrumors 68020

I'm getting a new MBP (it's waiting for me at home) and I'd like to minimize the OS footprint as much as possible by getting rid of foreign language packs, fonts that I'll never use, and support for PPC apps. Is it possible to delete this stuff manually, or do I have to reinstall Leopard and deselect certain options?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Monolingual works, but is risky and imperfect...I recommend a re-install.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Whenever I buy a new Mac I always do a complete reinstall. It's safer IMO. You can then install only what you want/need. Once you've done that go through each iLife (and iWork if you have have it) application, go "Get Info" and scroll to the bottom of that window, find the languages listed there and manually remove all the languages you don't use. That will slim those apps down as well.

4. akadmon thread starter macrumors 68020

Is there an option for excluding PPC code during normal Leopard install, or is Xslimmer the only means of getting rid of legacy code?

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If you dont need the printer drivers thats a good way of slimming things down, i think you can only do this manually in the customize install part of the leopard install

6. Amdahl macrumors 65816

While some people might want to do this to save disk space, I would like to point out to other readers that this is a dumb idea. PPC libraries are a standard part of the Mac OS X system. You won't be able to run any app built before 10.4.4 if you strip those libraries out.

I don't know why you would want to throw away that much backwards compatibility for 2GB of disk space.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

XSlimmer is the only option for stripping apps of their PPC binaries. It also strips unneeded languages from apps.

8. retro83 macrumors member

I reinstalled, and de-selected all but English from the checkboxes but all the languages still got installed?!
    I used Youpi Optimizer to remove them all after the install (although this can manually be done from the Get Info... window, it is very tedious).

9. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Reinstall. Delete printers, languages, and iBloat. Easy as pie.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I support XSlimmer. No problems ever resulted.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I dont have any PPC code and have never run into a program I couldnt use. It seems like a safe bet to remove it.

12. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

I also support Xslimmer. I used it for the first time just at the end of last year, and haven't had any problems. For the 10GB or so of applications that it could slim, I saved about 5GB. For some applications (Mail, iChat, maybe some others) it reduced it to less than 10% of its original size (by removing PPC code and languages I assume).

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Adobe CS3

Has anyone encountered any problems thinning Adobe CS3 on their machines? Particularly Illustrator and Indesign failing to fully load??