Think 13 inch is the best!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ak907Freerider, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Ak907Freerider macrumors 6502

Ok a little background what brought me to a 13 inch macbook pro 2013 model. I started out @2-3 years ago getting a 27-inch loaded BTO iMac a 2011 model. I had lots of issues with this iMac, constant freezing, crashing etc. Went back and forth with Apple for over a year with multiple repairs. Finally they replaced it with a late 2013 iMac. I loved that machine. It was a beast with 4gb video card just flew throw all my projects. But it was stuck at home and with traveling with photography it was a constant pain to be home editing not while on the road editing. So it became more of hassle to use then a benefit.

So not long ago I sold the iMac for $2000 and bought a used 2011 15-inch Macbook pro for $500. Put in a ssd, 16gb ram, and a 2tb hdd in optical bay. It worked good but soon became apparent this was one heavy, loud, and hot laptop. I found it to be to big and heavy to bring around a lot. So sold it also for $850.

So after using a Macbook Air BTO I realized just what a lightweight machine can do. Yes it is by no means a speed demon for editing or gaming. But you gain the ability to have lightweight and portability. It fits in the smallest of bags. Which was a huge plus since Im already carrying a lot of camera gear. But the air screen is kinda a joke and hard to clean.

So I bit the bullet and bought a 2013 13 inch macbook pro retina and I must say this is perfect. Amazing screen, great battery life, plenty of power to do anything. Yes it isn't nearly the machine of the iMac I started with. But I finally have a computer that does everything I need and is compact enough to bring everywhere with ease. No more hot laptop no more stuck at home, no more brick for weight. This thing is the best. Highly recommend !

2. Troneas, Nov 23, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2014

Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

I just wish the 13 inch could be packed with the same graphics cards as the 15 inch. I would have paid an extra $ 200 for that.

Its the only reason why i would even consider that notebook.

But yes, i too am a fan of the form factor and weight of the 13 inch. Even if your not traveling with it, its just so much more inviting to be carrying it around the house and what not.

3. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

If you don't need the extra power from the quad-core or discrete GPU, it really is a perfect "little" machine. Before this I had the 15" Unibody (first one that came out I believe), and while a lot of things were great about it, after a while I hated the size and battery life. I just feel so much more portable with the 13" retina. Not only is it easier to move around the house with it, traveling with it is easier as well.

Then again, I spend most of my time reading and writing papers for school, browsing the web, watching videos and editing photos. This is hardly something that would require the power or size of a 15".

It's kinda funny though, I had the same feelings when I went from the iPad 2 to the rMini. Maybe I'm just a type of person that really likes to be portable when it comes to stuff like this.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I guess I will agree too!

The 13" retina is (right now) the perfect laptop. I still prefer the angle of the MBA keyboard over the pro but not enough that I would give up this fantastically beautiful and enjoyable retina display. :eek:

5. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

not sure how the keys are on the newer macbook airs, but i had a 2010 model and the type feeling on the pro is so much smoother it makes my old air feel like a typewriter.

6. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Haha.. well I had 2012 Air so I can't comment on the 2010's and the keys are exactly the same as the new pros but the angle of the chassis on the Air is just slightly more accommodating is what I meant.

7. Ak907Freerider thread starter macrumors 6502

Well yes a discrete GPU would be excellent, but that takes more power which creates heat. So you would be back in the boat of the hot laptops with a bad history for reliability. The quad core would be kinda a catch 22, I think you would nearly have to have a quad core to fully take advantage of a dedicated GPU. So it defeats the purpose. I will take the cool running, long battery life in a small form factor anyway now. I think eventually I will get another iMac, but have the feeling even at home I would be more productive on this MacBook. Since I could work anywhere and not have that "Have to go to desk to work" feeling. Now if the air gets a retina screen I think Apple will have the best of all worlds laptop on their hands. Its hard to call a machine a workhorse when you have to force yourself to go to it sit down and use it. As compared to I can easily take outside stay motivated laptop and get a lot of battery life laptop. That is a true work horse.

8. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

I think it's a perfect fit for you.

I pretty much need the storage, GPU power and screen size on mine to be comfortable.

If I had to choose an even slimmer laptop I'd get the 11inch air, that thing is beautiful