Think a rMBP spec bump might be coming?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nwcs, Nov 30, 2012.

1. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Was thinking about this recently. Usually Apple has a spec bump release before the next chip set comes out. But there have been some rumors that intel is short-lifing Ivy Bridge in order to get Haswell out quicker. I've held off on getting an updated MBP in general but if they do a spec bump I may just do it rather than wait for Haswell next year.

Anyone else waiting it out?

2. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

3. Exana macrumors regular

No, they will do a speed bump before. Any MacBook longs more than 9 months.

4. bobbydd21 macrumors regular

Do you think there will be a update before June 2013? Trying to wait until the next update to get it.

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

possibly, the new cpus from ivy have been out already for at least 2 months

6. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

if anything an early cpu speed bump would be more realistic than a haswell chip. like since august there was the 3820qm, and the 3920xm cpu, now the newer chip line up is the 3840qm and 3940xm. which both are 100mhz faster then the 20's. the 3940xm is a first ever 3ghz base clock laptop cpu. if anything the early refresh of the 15 inch would likely get the 3840qm chip as the top tier. this would be more realistic than the 3940xm since that is a ridiculously priced chip for very little gain. its an unlock chip for over clocking, but who want to over clock a laptop cpu, it bare has enough cooling.

7. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

people that have notebooks that can cool a 55w tdp cpu (3920xm and 3940xm)
    they are able to oc the cpus to 5ghz sometimes more, I have saw it reach 5.5ghz

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

And those laptops weigh 12 lbs and are 4 inches thick… I know because I have one ;)

9. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

Maybe after the holiday season. Might see a move to the 840 Pro on the storage side and a CPU bin increase in speed. Not really worth waiting for.

10. nwcs thread starter macrumors 65816

nwcs

The interesting thing would also be if apple uses a mid refresh to address other issues silently. I kwow that officially they mainly just update the CPU but I wouldn't be surprised if they snuck in some other minor fixes in the process.

11. Quu macrumors 68020

Quu

Haswell is coming in the first half of 2013.

And Intel would already be giving samples of the processor and chipsets to OEM's such as Apple around December 2012, January 2013. This would enable Apple to launch a refresh of the 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a Haswell chip in about March. A good 300 or so days since the last version and only slightly over their 267 day average between refreshes.

Now of course it is difficult to really say what Apple will actually do but Haswell will be available for Apple to test and launch a refresh within their usual and expected schedule.