Think about buying a MBP!!! Got some ?'s can you help me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jman14, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Jman14 macrumors 6502

Okay I am a 14 yr old wanting to upgrade my laptop I have a HP that is a yr old but for my b-day I am upgrading to a MBP but I am looking to get this but I would prob buy a used one but I wanted to no because I am looking at a MBP that is 11 months old what is the difference of the 11 month old MBP and the new MBP other than the SPECS man y the DESIGN of the MBP is what I like and i am a WINDOWS/PC NERD but want to expand my computer knowledge to MAC'S.

PLz let me know soon because I have talked my parent in to if I find a MBP for under $1000 they will buy it for me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. tip macrumors 6502

tip

Maybe you might find a 1st gen CD MBP for around $1000, but honestly, I'm not sure.

Does it have to be a MBP? You can get a nice C2D MB for the pricepoint you're looking for.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The MBP has looked the same pretty much since its introduction. The first generation Core Duo ones did have some teething issues however, and the 15" model misses Firewire 800 and a double layer superdrive.

4. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont have any firewire devices and dont read or burn dual layer discs but I did find one on craigslist i will post it up here

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

All commercial DVD's are dual layer so I doubt it ;). But don't worry any superdrive, even a single layer one can read dual layer discs.

6. mox123 macrumors 6502

a two-years old MBP would sell for more than $1000 still?

geez...i just sold a seven-month old MB for $1125.....

7. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You could get a macbook. If you do decide to get a refurb pro I would recommend getting at the very least a core 2 duo and not a core duo.

Get the mid range white macbook, use student discount, bam.

8. amoda macrumors 6502a

He's 14, student discount is only for higher education. So unless he's a wizkid the discount doesn't apply to him.

9. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

How small would a 13" widescreen compare to a 14" non widescreen laptop bc the is what my dad has and I have a 15" widescreen and they arnt much diff

10. amoda macrumors 6502a

You'd need to see it in real life to notice any difference, I find it too small for me. Google might offer you some help here but, again, you should see it them in person.

So a few questions to help guide you here.

1. What are the specs of your "old" HP.
    2. Are you buying it for the looks or for the performance? Not judging, it's just to see if it's worth the time to recommend a MacBook. They look totally different so I assume if you like the look of the MBP you won't settle for a MB.
    3. If it's for performance, what sort of things do you want to do? This is the deciding factor between a MB and MBP.

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Perhaps you should fix your run on sentence structure because like its hard to read and you "no" that I could be really mean and make this sentence go on forever and ever and ever....til it hits a wall comprised of all the Vista discs no one wants.

:p

12. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

1GB Ram
    1.8GHZ AMD Athlon 64 X2
    15.4" Widescreen
    160GB HDD
    5:1 media card reader(which I use ALOT)

Let me no if there is anything else you want to no

2.I like the looks of the MB more than the MBP just worrie about the screen size, and performance wise just the best bang for the buck
    3. Atleast a 2.0GHZ Core 2 Duo
    2Gb Ram
    and 160 GB HDD

13. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I mainly use my laptop for web browsing and listening to music

14. amoda macrumors 6502a

Well then you're looking at the mid-tier MB at the moment. It would have the same performance as that of the low end MBP. However, this is only when it comes to CPU intensive stuff. So for converting a movie, listening to music, writing essays while listening to iTunes the performance would be pretty much the same.

Try to do anything GPU intensive and performance will plummet. While the MB is great for movies and some games (Sims 2 sorta thing) it won't survive anything very intensive (maya, crysis...).

So yeah, that's it performance wise. Screen estate should only be decided in person. Go to your nearest computer store that sells Apple computers. If you don't have an Apple store nearby I'm sure you have a BestBuy or Futureshop or something where you can see the two side by side.

Edit: After you second post I'd have to say a MB is perfect for you then. The low end MB could suffice too but the mid-tier is not a bad investment. The superdrive, extra ram, extra HD space and a faster processor for $200 is a smart investment.

Since you need it cheap I would wait until it starts hitting the refurbished store.

Edit 2: Please, please, please write "know" not "no". It's...like a thorn in my side :p

15. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont play those kinda games on the computer i have a PS3 for that lol

and okay well i will look into t bc i do have a bestbuy near

16. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I had one of the original MBP core duo machines. There's no way I'd pay $1000 for one now, the new machines (even the MacBooks) are far better in processing and heat.

17. slybeans macrumors member

Are you sure you need a mac for that?

A normal cheap laptop would suffice

18. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

LOL the day I give my kid anything worth more than 100 bucks for his birthday...

19. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes for one I really like the mac book and the only other choice I would go for is the sony because I really like the keyboard the have bc my laptop now has had to have 4 keys replaced bc they break and sony and apple are the only ones with this style keyboard and I also like the new OS X Lepoard (sp) which I have only used on my schools iMac and i no alot about windows/pcsv and want to expand my knowledge to learn about more macs

20. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

get a Macbook and save your money! and then when you outgrow the MB buy a MBP

21. steinlager macrumors regular

Now that's a run-on sentence :p

Yea, honestly, just get a baseline macbook. It'll do you fine.

22. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502