Think Apple regrets Jet Black?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IK84, Sep 29, 2016.

1. IK84 macrumors newbie

I was thinking, from what I've read the Jet black has a very low yield of 60-70% of passing inspection. So with that said, do you think that Apple went into this thinking... "the iPhone 7 will probably be a dud and we can go ahead and offer this since there probably wont be much demand". From what I was reading even Apple has been surprised by the success of the 7.

The Jetblack doesn't really have a premium on it vs other models. sure it starts at 128gb, not 32 but still, I think had they known what they know now, they probably would have made this a limited edition at a ultra premium. But that's just my opinion.

Anyone elses thoughts on this?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I think it's better in the long run. Rejecting so many of the devices means that the production will only get more refined over time. It's a cost Apple can afford to take on the chin.

3. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

It gave social media something to get excited about. The iPhone 8 or 8s in two years will probably feature piano white lol

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People said the same thing about Gold/Rose Gold iPhones.

5. IK84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure on history of Iphone production, but was the gold/rose gold ever problematic to produce?

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That wasn't what I meant, but people thought these colors wouldn't sell and figured Apple purposely lowered their production and was "surprised" by their success.

7. Koobs macrumors regular

Koobs

Yes they totally regret producing Jet Black phones and it being the #1 seller this year. Jonny Ive is waiting for his pink slip over this debacle.

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Given the sales numbers and the overwhelming satisfaction with it, I doubt there are any regrets on Apple's part. They'll probably expand it next go around.

9. IK84 thread starter macrumors newbie

No doubt that its a huge success as far as sales, but generally when an item has yield limitations they tend to be pricier than counterparts without limitations. Take for example OLED tvs, they had a low yield rate, and therefore were more expensive to buy. Mind you, I've not researched OLED production success rate in a while, but early on that was the case.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Regret…uhm yeah. Probably about as much as they regret offering Black/Slate with the iPhone 5.

Apple offered black (both Matte and Jet) to make up for the sales they knew they would lose due to the similarity of the 7 to the 6 series.

People have been hounding Apple for black since the 5s. So, however small it may or may not be giving the customer what they have demanded for the last three years made it a success.

If Apple was surprised by anything it was because they underestimated how many customers there were that wanted black.

My opinion anyway.

11. IK84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha... I probably should have titled my thread " Do you think Apple regrets the Jet Black price point" but I made this up really quick at work.

Hope no one thinks I'm just asking stupid questions, I just wanted to get a discussion going on this topic.

12. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Hence the reason its only available at the higher price points.

13. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I'm not sure I understand the point of this, jet black isn't more expensive than the other colors. The 128/256 models, that is.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

How would they know the yields would be so poor before going into mass production? Also, the ones that do not pass probably just get remade if that makes sense.

15. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I think the yields are so poor because it was something they thought of last minute and didn't put it through enough testing. Had this been something they were working on for longer, it would have been manufactured easier and better.

16. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

But we really have no idea what the yields are besides speculation, they could be fine. And if it doesn't pass, it could just go back and redone, not costing apple anything but time in actuality. So no, I don't think Apple regrets their best selling color.