Think Apple will come out with a purpose built video camera?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by danpass, Jul 21, 2010.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

After all, they came out with a phone.

the 3GS and 4 video cameras have given them insight in capturing video so further engineering along those lines and form factor would be the next step IMO.

:)

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I don't think Apple would come out w/a stand alone consumer video camera when they can just incorporate 'good enough' cameras into their iDevices.

Lethal

3. xStep macrumors 68000

I don't see Apple every coming out with another dedicated digital camera, or a digital video camera. They came out with a smart phone because it is line with their thoughts on the future of computing. They may have dropped the 'Computer' from their name, but computing is their core business.

IF Apple was ever to come out with a dedicated video recording device, it would be a game changing device. Say lossless image super compression, new sensor capable HDR without the need for software, some leap in 3D. Out of those, I could only imagine them working on the compression issue out of need. They could introduce it in their iPhone line and license the rights to any manufacturer willing to pay the royalties. Bonus points for not requiring a conversion of use with editing software!

4. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"I don't think Apple would come out w/a stand alone consumer video camera when they can just incorporate 'good enough' cameras into their iDevices."

Lethal,

Have you had the opportunity to play with iPhone #4? ;)

The camera is pretty freakin' nice. I'm very impressed...as much as I've despised phone cams til now...I can see myself actually using it. Seriously. And this coming from a guy with a DSLR in my car seat daily!LOL.

For web/snapshots, it'll be great. Much more usable than the past iterations.

I'm in agreement thought...a stand alone seems a stretch, unless it's a proprietary camera to couple with their current "iDevices" (I like that term:))

J

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The iPhone 4's camera is without doubt the best phone camera ever made. However, it is still a phone camera--narrow aperture, short focal length, and tiny imaging sensor. The iPhone 4 camera is not a substitute for a quality digital still camera or camcorder. I don't see Apple's getting back into the digital still camera business. I certainly don't see its getting into the digital camcorder business.

6. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"The iPhone 4's camera is without doubt the best phone camera ever made. However, it is still a phone camera--narrow aperture, short focal length, and tiny imaging sensor."

Agreed...however, I think it's actually starting to compare a bit more to a small Elph/P&S vs. the current lot of cell cams. As you say, it's the "best ever made in a phone"....

"The iPhone 4 camera is not a substitute for a quality digital still camera or camcorder."

Agreed...with the operative word, "Quality"...though, when looking to grab that quick snap...it'll be nice to have the ip4.

"I don't see Apple's getting back into the digital still camera business."

I didn't realize they'd been in the business in the past? When did they build digital still cameras?

"I certainly don't see its getting into the digital camcorder business."

LOL...I remember just a couple years ago, the same was said about them getting in to the cell phone business. It's tough to speculate. Especially when it comes to future media production and consumption. I'm a 22 year radio vet, and in the last 10 years...I've learned not to speculate. It's bad for the blood pressure!

J

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Apple QuickTake from the mid '90s.

Lethal

8. handsome pete macrumors 68000

That's true, but I don't really see the profitability in a dedicated camcorder versus a mobile phone. After all, a mobile phone is a compact computing device and Apple is in the business of building computing devices. Other than incorporating cameras into their devices, I don't see them getting into the standalone camcorder business.