Think Apple will make us re-buy iWork when Lion is released?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mikhailov, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Mikhailov macrumors regular

I installed iWork 09 from a disc, and it doesn't show as "installed" from the App Store. I'm guessing the update for version support will be distributed as a Mac App Store update, but what do you think will happen for us disc owners? Will we be forced to re-buy through the App Store?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iWork '09 installed from disc works just fine. Why would we need to re-buy? Updates to iWork still come through Software Update rather than the App Store.

I don't see this changing until the next major update of iWork.

3. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

If & when Apple ever releases new versions of the iWork apps they will be a paid upgrade, just as the others were. But I don't see any reason why the existing apps won't work in Lion. I still have iWork '06 & '08 as well as '09 installed & they all work in Snow Leopard.

Point updates, as opposed to full version upgrades, have always been free.

4. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

Right, but I wonder if the Lion version will be an update or a new release.

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

What do you mean by Lion version? :confused:

6. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Versions of iWork are separate from versions of OS X. There is no Lion version, Snow Leopard version or Leopard version for that matter.

Just like you can run iTunes 7 8 9 and 10 and earlier on Snow Leopard (I'm sure some earlier versions than those mentioned can be too).

It'll still be iWork 09, unless you upgrade to iWork '11 when it's released...

7. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I doubt it. My iWork or Aperture doesn't show up on the Mac App Store.

8. Mikhailov thread starter macrumors regular

Forgive the terminology. I just meant the version of Pages that was demoed at WWDC. Could be just an update, or iWork 11.

9. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

It depends if it's a full version - iWork '11/'12 with Keynote 6, Pages 5, Numbers 3 - or a point update - Pages 4.0.6, Numbers 2.0.6, Keynote 5.0.6. As I said before, full versions are paid upgrades, point updates are free.

10. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

But do you know if iWork 08 works in Lion? I don't seem to be able to find an answer. And I would really prefer not having to buy iWork again once I upgrade to Lion, since the 08 versions are working perfectly for me in SL.

11. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Yes, iWork '08 works in Lion.

12. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

new mac user... forgive me.... i have iWork 08 OR 09??? Am i eligible for a free upgrade? to the '11 version?

13. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

There is no iWork '11. There is an update for iWork '09 that is free for those who have iWork '09. There is no update or reduced-price upgrade from '08 to '09.

14. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

so basically i have to buy iwork 09???

15. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Yes

16. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Do you have iWork? It doesn't come with the machine free of charge. You must purchase it. You should check to see which version you have. If you have '09, there's a free update that adds some Lion-specific features. If you have '08, then your choice is either to buy '09 or just keep what you have.

iWork '11 (or whatever it'll be called) hasn't been announced yet, so it's anyone's guess as to when it'll be come - or even if it will be coming at all.

If you're satisfied with what you have, I suggest waiting for a little while to see what happens this fall before spending $60 on the complete iWork '09.

17. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

ohh ok i think i have the 08 edition i just wasnt sure if it wasnt a free upgrade thanks for your help is there anyway to get a discount on iwork?

18. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

No discounts, but the individual apps are cheaper in the Mac App Store.

19. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

really? that doesn't make sense.... each one is 20 a piece right? hmmm ah well i guess i will just wait not like i really need it right now like you were saying.