Think Apple will stop unlockers this time around?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NiroshanMan, Jun 8, 2008.

?

Think 3G will be unlocked or not?

1. Yes, definitley, they did it with the First Gen and they are gonna do it again.

48 vote(s)
    81.4%
  2. Nope, Apple has fixed this problem once and for all.

11 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Now that there is roughly 2 days left till we get our hands on one, do you think unlockers will be hacking away at this quickly? Do you think Apple this time around will make it much harder for unlockers or even impossible? Or do you think there is gonna be atleast one way to get around this that Apple hasn't figured out yet. How soon do you think the first successful unlock will take assuming that since ppl have unlocked the 1st generation one they know the basics to get this one unlocked faster? Just a thought cause i'm thinking of buying it only when its finally and successfully unlocked no matter how long that takes. Then again i might end up buying it though i don't want to pay a lot...

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I'm sure apple will have some new challenges for the unlockers to contend with but nothing is unbreakable! My guess... the first unlocking solutions will appear in two or three weeks after release.

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I agree with Satori's post. I think there will always be a way to unlock the phone. Too many people have the desire to do this and though Apple will try to stop it it will never be impossible to unlock.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Isn't an either or option a little simplistic when looking back on the updates so far?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

When was the last time anyone stopped determined hackers in any area?

2.0 was unlocked within hours of its beta release. The final will be unlocked, then they just have to do the baseband for any network.

6. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Well, if the 2.0 release is on schedule from Apple, that is, a late June release, and let's say (crosses fingers) that the new iPhone is available right after announcement on Monday, technically shouldn't only have the latest 1.1.x version?

Then maybe it's possible to unlock it immediately. You never know - maybe one lucky guy who gets his hand on it will be willing and brave enough to try.

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Apple sells more phones if it is unlockable

yes they will make it harder to please the operators, but not impossible!

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

they'll try, but nothing is unhackable so it will be jailbroken sometime.

9. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

The hardware won't be easily unlockable, but that's not the real issue. If rumours of the subsidy are to be believed, Apple is going to price unlockers out. By making the phone more expensive, with a rebate on signing a contract, Apple is going to make going the official way the more sensible thing to do.

It's clever, and I think it'll work. But the rebate needs to be big (like, $150+), or it won't be fit for purpose.

10. citron230 macrumors 6502a

citron230

11. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you think there will be an option to get the Phone with out a data package?

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yup. Completely agree.

13. itf macrumors member

Agreed. Based on the UK rumours, the iPhone might be £100 with a contract and £300 without. Actually, I still think it would be worth getting the version without so you're free to choose networks, but as a result, Apple has to try less hard on the security front.

In some countries, isn't there an official unlocked version for legal reasons? If so, can that firmware not perhaps just be copied and used elsewhere in the same way as people debrand, say, Nokia N-Series phones to a generic firmware?