Think ATT will give me a hard time?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kovalchuk71, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kovalchuk71 macrumors 6502

So heres the deal:

1.I dont have a CC
    2.Mom doesnt want to go early.
    3.I want to go early
    4.I transfer money to her account
    5.I take her CC
    6.I go wait in line
    7.I pay with her card.

Will they give me a hard time? I mean I have Id that Im her son and Im on the family plan with her (obviously).

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

they wont let you use your mom's CC to make a purchase.

3. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

good luck with that...

4. M0bile macrumors regular

They probably won't even look at the credit card except to watch it slide through the machine. Unless it's one where you actually slide it and sign digitally, then you shouldn't have any problems.

You can probably get it squared away ahead of time. Give your store a call and see if you can. I say call first that way you don't drive there to find out you can't.

5. Babiipiink macrumors member

hmm.. i dont know. I know colleges usually do accept that, because you are away from home. But i'm not sure about merchants.. I think you should give them a call ahead of time to find out. Maybe you could swing by the store with her the day before and meet with someone at ATT who will be there the next day.. hope that helps

6. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like a good idea. I guess Ill call tomorrow.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

they wont have an issue with you paying them but only the account holder or an authorized user can make changes to the account. It's easy to be made an authorized user but you have to 18

8. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. emaja macrumors 68000

I'd be willing to be that they will indeed look at the credit card since they will be using it as part of running the credit check. Even if they don't use it, I would certainly be instructing my employees to look at the signatures when making this kind of purchase.

Even if you are an authorized user, if your name isn't on the card, they have no way of knowing that.

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

if you're an existing at&t customer, i was told by an in-store rep that they don't need to run a credit check. as long as you're in good standing with at&t, there should be no problem.

are you 18? do you look 18?

walk into the store with confidence and speak as if you own the account. you shouldn't have a problem.

11. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

as long as you are over 18 there shouldnt be a problem. Do you have a debit card? you can always go into att tomorrow or thursday and just buy a gift card for the amount needed to purchase the phone the use it on friday

13. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

waiting for my new one (my old one expired). I could do that tomorrow with my ma.

So its 299+tax+what else?

14. M0bile macrumors regular

False and good for you, but false. I got my credit pre-approved and the only thing I needed was ID, SSN, and Employer Address. I worked at Target where they have the card-reader/signing machines and we never even touched the cards, just told people where to slide it in. Sometimes the register would prompt us for an ID but it was extremely rare.

$299 + tax + $36 activation fee.

15. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

activation fee

16. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Isn't the activation fee paid on your first bill?

17. kovalchuk71 thread starter macrumors 6502

But dont I need a CC? Will a gift card work? Hopefully my new debit card comes in the mail tomorrow.

18. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure a photo ID is required to buy and activate an iPhone....so I doubt your plan will work.

19. M0bile macrumors regular

He has an ID, but who says they check the credit card to see if the names match?

20. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular

+$18 upgrade fee

21. emaja macrumors 68000

Every merchant is different, and when they do not actually handle the card to swipe it, there is obviously no intent on their part to check the sig.

When I got my iPhone on Friday, there was a remote swiper, so I didn't hand them the card.

How did it work out for OP?