Think Different Edison made me cry

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by yodamac1, Apr 12, 2010.

1. yodamac1 macrumors newbie

I just posted a bunch of my apple vinyl banners on ebay, but one in particular almost made me cry when I posted it. It is a 4ft x 4ft Thomas Edison vinyl banner. It used to hang over my head every day back in 1998 when I was selling macs at a compusa. I always felt like he was watching me and encouraging me to introduce people to Macs (mostly iMacs) for the first time. One day I was asked to take down Edison, Buzz, Ghandi and Hitchcock and put them in the trash compactor out back. Naturally, I said to hell with that idea and snuck them to my car. How could any Mac fan ever be expected to destroy anything so beautiful. Well, I got caught with them, but the manager let me keep Buzz and Edison and he took the other two. Now I put Edison on ebay and I'm already regretting it. Did I do the right thing?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

It sounds like you are regretting it already. But were you using them at all or were they in a closet somewhere? This might just be the same feeling when you give something away to Goodwill. If you haven't used it/thought of it in 6 months to a year, then get rid of it. If they were hanging up somewhere then maybe you should cancel your auction and bring those beauties home! :)

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I might actually buy it if it wasn't priced at $999.99. Wayyy too high for me. I want that Buzz Aldrin!!!

4. miklovo macrumors member

I've been watching eBay and other forums for a couple of years waiting for the right time to unload my banners. I worked at CompUSA during the 2004 remodel of the "Apple Shop" and when we took down the huge 4 foot x 15 foot ones that hung from the ceiling and put up the ugly plastic ones I took 2 of the 3 that we had. I have Amelia and Jim Hensen. I saw someone on worthpoint auctions asking $25,000 for one about 6 months ago. I can't find anyone to tell how much they could be worth. I'm one of the watchers on your eBay auction right now by the way, just curious to see if anyone bites at your $1200 price tag.

5. suburbia macrumors 6502

These banners are just supreme. I don't think I remember ever seeing these-- only the "Think Different" ads in magazines way back when.

The "Think Different" campaigns were ingenious, and to think several years later Apple would resort to those awful, mind-numbing "dancing silhouettes" for iPod and the even more mind-numbing "Mac vs. PC" ones to appeal to the masses.

Thanks for sharing.

6. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Damn, I really want this, but I'm strapped for cash right now. Purchasing it will depend if my website sale goes through.

The Edison poster is by far one my favorite of the entire series, I so wish I had the money to buy this, since it would make an amazing decoration for my office or my home.

7. OSX-SUX macrumors newbie

Charge whatever you think someone will pay, but yikes that poster is wrinkled. I guess they weren't stored very well and probably should have been wrapped around a cardboard tube. It takes a long time for vinyl wrinkles to hang out, so for me $1,200 is unrealistic, but good luck to you!

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

So when are you going to post the Buzz Aldrin up on eBay? I haven't seen it up yet and I have been looking everyday!!

9. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

I didn't know they had vinyl banners, those are cool. I have a couple of the Think Different posters: Picasso and Earhart. Nabbed 'em right off the wall from my old work immediately after they went out of business- yoink! :D

10. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Good thing CompUSA is outta business, I'm no legal expert, just not sure you are the "owner" of those.

11. MacinBanner, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2011

MacinBanner macrumors newbie

I has Hitchcock

I too used to work for a CompUSA back in the late 90's through the mid 2000's and when we were going to throw out our big apple shop banners i was cutting them down from the rafters and just asked "hey, you guys mind if i keep one of these?" and the only one that wasnt already spoken for was the Alfred Hitchcock banner. It is a horizontal banner that ran the span of one of the aisles. I rolled it up and for a while had it hanging in my room when i was younger and in college. I thought i had thrown it away and just today i found it while going through some old stuff and throwing out some "junk". I couldnt believe that i still had it and it was in perfect condition!

Anyway. If anyone is interested, i will try to post some pictures of it. This thing really is a beauty and i almost feel bad for even wanting to sell it, but the wife would never let me hang it up anywhere so it might as well go to a good home (and put some money in my pocket at the same time!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]