Think Different Posters

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacdude313, Aug 28, 2009.

1. iMacdude313 macrumors regular

Hey guys,
    My old man brought home these posters from his school. I've seen them around before and I know that they're pretty old. Any ideas on how much they're worth or how rare they are? None of them have puncture holes at all, none are bent, and all are 11x17. Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

So you mean to tell me that I have almost 1400 dollars worth of posters laying on my bed?

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I doubt that they will buy them from you for that much. You are still pretty lucky to have those though.

4. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Definitely worth a pretty penny. I'd love to have those, frame them, make them look really good. But selling them can also be something to consider.

They could also go for a lot on eBay.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The problem is I am unsure how to tell if they're fake or not. I bought one and it was a complete fake, you could tell by the paper.

6. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

Could you possibly describe the texture of the paper? How you knew it was fake?

7. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I imagine the fakes are on thin paper? Nice pickup you have there. Sounds like they may be legit. Nice score.

Describe your paper.

8. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it doesn't seem thin. I guess all I really could describe it as is the feeling of a poster. Defiantly not any flimsy paper or out of a regular printer. It feels and looks like a legitimate poster...

9. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

I have 5 of these posters, and I know they are authentic because I bought them myself from Apple and left them in the shipping tube so they are in great condition. A vendor offered me $400 for the set but I declined. I'd like to sell them but I'd hope to get at least $150-$200 for each. Some day....

10. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Like any collectible... what they are worth is what someone is willing to pay for them. I'd search completed auctions on ebay to see if any have sold recently and what they went for.

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I hope you don't have them still in the tube. Keeping posters and art in tubes for an extended period is a mortal sin. Get them flat!

12. creon macrumors 6502

That's awesome. Wish Apple would turn those into Wallpapers for iPhone & Mac.

13. skrutzen macrumors regular

If I was homeless I don't think I could sell those. I'd probably line my cardboard house with those.

14. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Wha ha ha. Oh, come on. You wouldn't believe some of the crap I've sold on eBay. And this is way better. They'd sell.

15. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, well it's official, I'm going to sell 9 of them. I'm gonna keep the Einstein one. Haha, any suggestions on selling them?

16. MTI macrumors 65816

Rack up enough posts to qualify for entry into the Marketplace forum.

17. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

How many posts might that be?

18. jywv8 macrumors 6502

"Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months"

If you live near a larger city, I'd try craigslist first, because it's free and easy.

19. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

You are of course the only one who can decide which poster to keep, but if I were you I'd keep the Jim Henson/Kermit one. That is because of all the figures on those posters, Kermit is the only one that Apple used again.

20. iMacdude313 thread starter macrumors regular

Well I'm nowhere near that post count. :( I already posted up on craigslist but I think I have a better chance of selling to people like the ones that frequent these forums. Any other ideas?

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

there used to be a web site which just sold the apple posers and gear but it wasn't the one posted in this thread- I will search for the name-

I too have dozens of these posters- all in various condition- and both the large and small ones- but unfortunately I don't have room to keep them flat- too much chance for damage with little ones in the house.

It is my retirement fund.

22. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Erm... seriously? :eek:

23. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Yeah...it might pay my expenses for at least a month!!!:cool: