Think I broke my Macbook...HELP

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JReynolds, Apr 16, 2009.

1. JReynolds macrumors 6502

I just installed 4GB memory into my 2.1 ghz white macbook. The memory is from crucial and it is for macs...

I've pushed harder than should be necessary to try and set the memory in the slot. Its in there.

When I turn my macbook on it goes to my log on screen. From there my keyboard and track pad do not work. It wont let me do anything. I can't type my password or move the cursor...?

I'm completely lost!

Any help would be appreciated!

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

Did you try putting in the old memory and seeing if it works?

3. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tried switching the memory back for the third time...still not able to use keyboard or cursor.
    The power button is the only thing that is working

4. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

If it's under a year old, just go to the apple store or ring up apple and they will sort it, I guarantee you.

James

6. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Installed Memory HUGE Problem now!

I just installed 4GB memory into my 2.1 ghz white macbook. I ordered it from crucial and it is mac compatible.
    I have pushed hard as hell to make sure it's "set" in properly.
    The problem i'm having is now when my mac starts up i cant get it past the log on screen because my keyboard/cursor wont respond.
    The power button lets me restart the macbook. I have tried to change back to the original memory but i am still having no luck with the keyboard or cursor.

Any ideas of how to fix it, or even what my options are. It's 14 months old so how much would it cost to take it in to get repaired...?
    I'm lost...:confused:

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Seeing how you're out of warranty (assuming you don't have AppleCare), if you have the interest/knowhow, I'd take the laptop apart and make sure you didn't crack/separate the ribbon cables for the keyboard/trackpad by pressing too hard.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Still having problems, eh? Not good. If you can get your hands on a separate USB keyboard and mouse, plug them in and run the Apple Hardware Test off the original disks.

9. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

i have an imac so i can use its keyboard and mouse. what is the apple hardware test, how do i do that?
    just put in my OSX disk?

10. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks you so much i'll give this a shot. Sorry for double posting this...

11. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

So I followed the directions "Press and hold the "D" key before the gray startup screen appears." and nothing happens. I assumed my keyboard was just fried or something BUT... Command S works and brings up that crazy looking screen. Once that screen is up i still cant type anything, i tried typing eject and reboot...nothing
    Oh yea now the disk is stuck inside now! :rolleyes:
    any suggestions

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Command S brings up single user mode. To eject the disk, hold the mouse key down at startup. Not sure what else to suggest if even an external won't work.

13. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL had to cross my fingers while holding down the mouse button. Thank goodness it worked, got my disk back! Guess i'll be driving 2 hours to talk to an apple genius... great.

Thank you for all your help.

14. Heinekev macrumors member

Have you attempted to Jailbreak an iPhone/iTouch lately? There's a kext that enables recovery mode support that causes the keyboard to randomly stop responding aside from the power button (I had the issue on my Unibody 10.5)

Just curious

15. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

I have jailbroken multiple iphones on the macbook... The last one was about 2 weeks ago though. How did you fix it?:confused:

16. JReynolds thread starter macrumors 6502

Last night I got online and made an appt for apple to CALL ME at 10:30am. I received the phone call at 10:33. The women on the phone had me take out my battery and hold down the power button for 10 seconds. That didn't fix anything. We then inserted my OSX disc and held down C. A page came up wanting me to select a language...My cursor was magically unfrozen and i was able to move it! I'm now watching OSX reinstall and hoping this cures it.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

P.S. Apple tech is amazing.

17. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Yeah, that should cure whatever problem you were having. Hopefully you chose the "Archive and Install" installation option.